African segment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African segment

I have a small segment of African dna from Dr. McDonald's analysis. He said it was very old. Eurogenes admixture results show .1% west African and .2% east African. How do I go about finding out how old it is and where it came from. I had one match on this segment in the FF matches but they never replied to my email.

I doubt you'll find out how old it is but you can use Dodecad / Eurogenes tools to paint your chromosomes in the area of your African match. You should be able to narrow it down it major African groups like West African, East African, North African or Pygmy.

Start with the Dodecade / Eurogenes paintings at gedmatch.com . From there you can run other calculators with more African components.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
      I doubt you'll find out how old it is but you can use Dodecad / Eurogenes tools to paint your chromosomes in the area of your African match. You should be able to narrow it down it major African groups like West African, East African, North African or Pygmy.

Start with the Dodecade / Eurogenes paintings at gedmatch.com . From there you can run other calculators with more African components.

I think that it could clarify North African/Pygmy origins, but once you get to sub-saharan Africa it is not as clear. The reason being that the Bantus had huge migratory patterns and are traceable to the east/west/south africa. I have matches in all of those regions with the emphasis on Cameroon (which makes sense sense it is believed that the Bantus originated in the Congo River basin area)

Comment

Could this need further clarification?

As it has been stated in other threads, sometimes autosomal dna that reads "east asian" is considered to be Native American. So I am wondering if this may be applied to your case- or perhaps it is a match with Afrikaaners, which were of Dutch origin, or portugues, italian, french, who also had colonies in Africa. Or it could simply mean that you have some black-African ancestry.

It certainly adds to the mystique of the journey, doesn't it?

Comment

On my maternal side my ancestors were in America by the 1620's in New England and a decade later in New France. Dutch, French, English, German, but I haven't found any ancestors that might have been African in America.
          My paternal is from Ukraine with some middle eastern components so small chance of African there perhaps. Or else it's really old.
          There is a family story of Native American in us so perhaps that's the small amount of east Asian I also have, or else it's from Ukraine as that region had various Asian influences over the centuries.

Comment

IMHO, results under 1% like that are probably best ignored. I mean, your West African and East African are just 0.1% and 0.2% respectively. A tenfold increase in those would only bring them to 1% and 2%, and even that is negligible.

I am no expert, so, like I said, this is just my opinion, but I think those kinds of results are just noise.

Comment

Working...
            X