MyHeritage World Vital Records offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyHeritage World Vital Records offer?

Just had email inviting FTDNA customers to a reduced sub to MyHeritage World Vital Records. Does anyone have any views on this company. How does it compare to Ancestry.com and also whether it would be relevant to someone in the UK, or is it mainly geared towards USA market. I have tried to have a peek to see whats on offer but they want my Card details before access. Opinions please?

Just did their free search for my great grandmother and they had no match.
    I have her death certificate and have recently ordered a copy of her birth certificate from GRO (government records office).
    Both are now in the freeBMD index so should show in the search.
    I personally never give card details without something useful in return.
    Jomid59
    FTDNA Customer
    Last edited by Jomid59; 15 March 2012, 06:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Initial thoughts after playing with it for about an hour:
      If it is predominantly UK info you need then you will find a more complete set on resources such as findmypast and scotlandspeople. This site has a reasonable user interface. More US info than world. An example being that when I tried to search for family names in Italy all that came up were Ellis Island records. Whether it will be of value to you or not is dependent on what you are looking for . I have just found 3 Canadian relatives and 1 US that had eluded me on Ancestry, so from my viewpoint it has been worth the subscription even though it is lacking in some of what I might have expected from the name.

Comment

It only has a few unique documents which I quickly captured with the free trial. I wrote some scripts to capture documents/records during my free trial, so I did not need to pay to have have them.

Anyway far less users and much less working with others. Mostly US and UK records certainly not World as the name implies. It's worth a free trial to see what they have but I certainly would not pay a subscription with out knowing I would use the docs/records regularly.
        thetick
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by thetick; 15 March 2012, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I've been using MyHeritage for a back up of my basic family tree. They keep suggesting that I start paying dues for better service, but I'll remain a cheapskate for now. They do show matches with others, though, to let you know that you must be on the right track.

Comment

It's getting better. They've made a few acquisitions (e.g. World Vital Records) and partnerships (e.g. FTDNA) in recent years that should help them compete against Ancestry in the long run.

It's definitely not US-centric. They're based out of Israel, and support many more languages than Ancestry (including right-to-left alphabets).

I got a free 1-year membership by attending a conference last year, but I haven't had much time to check it out yet. If you go to any of the major genealogy conferences, they'll probably have a booth there.

Comment

I passed on the offer because of the cancellation procedure. Like Ancestry.com, this new service holds your credit card number and renews automatically each year unless you stop them. According to the Terms of Service, there is supposedly an international toll-free number to call if you want to cancel, or you can e-mail them. But it was such a hassle to cancel Ancestry.com that I don't want a repeat performance of that.

Regards,
              Jim

Comment

I am using the free account also..mainly because they are affilated with FTDNA's DNA and the groups I admin. I cannot contact anyone but CAN see who they are.That will work for now.I use Ancestry.com and have a private Tree there..I cannot see how it will be better than Ancestry though and that one can be a hassle to contact.

Comment

I decided to go for the deal. It was a tough decision as this whole DNA/Genealogy thing is getting a wee bit expensive. It has paid minor dividends arlready in that I was able to track down more detail on what happened with a half great uncle of mine including the names of his three sons. I'm hoping that won't be my only discovery though.

Cancellation policies in general piss me off. If I can sign up on line I should be able to cancel on line as well and don't try to snow me with "I'm sorry sir but its a security measure". That is complete carp.

Comment

I am giving it a try also. I spent an hour or two using it so far.
                    My first impression is that it becomes less useful if you don't have an exact name. If you do have an exact name it is sort of all over the place.
                    Meaning it is giving links that have little to do with what your looking for.
                    To be fair I am chauking this up to user error, but we will see. I may know more in six months .

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                      I am giving it a try also. I spent an hour or two using it so far.
                      My first impression is that it becomes less useful if you don't have an exact name. If you do have an exact name it is sort of all over the place.
                      Meaning it is giving links that have little to do with what your looking for.
                      To be fair I am chauking this up to user error, but we will see. I may know more in six months .
                      Yea I agree. It certainly is good if you know actually what you are looking for, a specific doc, exact name etc. If just searching for what is out there it actually pretty bad. Again in my opinion not worth the cost but worth checking out what they have with the free trial.

As far cancellation, I always found it so much easier to call the credit card company and say you would like a new credit card number. They just ask if you need to talk to faud, I just say no and 2 days later I have a new credit card in the mail. Much easier then dealing with sleazy billing at companies like Ancestry, 23andme, My Heritage that never have a problem billing you but always have issues stopping billing.

Comment

I ignored the offer. I have had a great experience using both ancestry.com (as far as records go) and FamilyTreeDNA. My first thought after reading the offer by email: Why doesn't FamilyTreeDNA instead run another sale? That would help me.

Comment

Working...
                        X