Learning, but still need some aid! 66 on 67 Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning, but still need some aid! 66 on 67 Markers

I am not new, but am still somewhat confused on the match game and what it means. By my user name, you can see where I am coming from. The particulars:

1) In 2008 I had a YDNA ran on FTDNA at 37 markers. And showed 1 match at
    12 markers that lacked a surname match. At the same time I posted my
    markers where I could on other sites. After about a year, I had a match
    appear on Ancestry (24 markers) and a common surname.

2) After that in learning, this fellow and I have expanded our test up to a 67
    marker test and match on 66 of 67 with a difference of one on DYS641. Now
    the question is after comparing the TIP, and seeing the percentages I am
    still confused because further readings say that where the mutation falls
    may effect the percentages. What do we know about this particular marker?
    And its effect on the TIP.

Although I am still stuck at my brick wall (my great grandfather) I can trace his line back through 10 generations. But this also brings up another question, when trying to find the MRCA, where do I go. Do I stick with his line back or do I need to follow all the other males (children of the common known oldest ancestor) starting at the earliest generation. Unfortunately, I have no other matches to use at this point. I have started a project, but to this point have not found any takers. FYI, Haloptree, I am a R1b1a2a1a1b and his so far R1b1a2.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Still on a high learning curve.

Originally posted by brickwall buster View Post
    I am not new, but am still somewhat confused on the match game and what it means. By my user name, you can see where I am coming from. The particulars:

1) In 2008 I had a YDNA ran on FTDNA at 37 markers. And showed 1 match at
    12 markers that lacked a surname match. At the same time I posted my
    markers where I could on other sites. After about a year, I had a match
    appear on Ancestry (24 markers) and a common surname.

2) After that in learning, this fellow and I have expanded our test up to a 67
    marker test and match on 66 of 67 with a difference of one on DYS641. Now
    the question is after comparing the TIP, and seeing the percentages I am
    still confused because further readings say that where the mutation falls
    may effect the percentages. What do we know about this particular marker?
    And its effect on the TIP.

Although I am still stuck at my brick wall (my great grandfather) I can trace his line back through 10 generations. But this also brings up another question, when trying to find the MRCA, where do I go. Do I stick with his line back or do I need to follow all the other males (children of the common known oldest ancestor) starting at the earliest generation. Unfortunately, I have no other matches to use at this point. I have started a project, but to this point have not found any takers. FYI, Haloptree, I am a R1b1a2a1a1b and his so far R1b1a2.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Still on a high learning curve.
    Ignore the 12 marker test those are matches that are from a time before the use of surnames, unless you share that surname. If they are a match they should match you up to 67 markers if they don't match at 25 never mind they are not a match move on. One of my 67 marker matches didn't show up until I tested to 67 markers.

Ancestry I'm guessing you match 24 out of 46 markers, right? If yes you are not a match even if you share the same last name.

Marker 641 I did a search of DYS641 and it had no information about mutation rate maybe someone else can give you that or confirm what I found.

I hit a Brick wall with my Great Grandfather also. I thought I know which line we belong to but even at 90% sure I was right, I still could not say for sure I belong to that family so I did the Y-DNA test. I now match 5 other different surname that they all share at 2 different companies. MRCA range from 6 to 16 generation or 150 to 400 years Genetic Distant 1 to 6.

Explanation of 67 markers tested

1-2 Tightly Related

65-66/67 You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you mismatch by only one or two 'points' at only one marker. It's most likely that you matched 36/37 or 37/37 on a previous Y-DNA test. Very few people achieve this close level of a match. All confidence levels are well within the time frame that surnames were adopted in Western Europe.

Yes, get what information you can from your 66 o/o 67 marker match. You have your line and where you think it goes. What I have done is gotten my matches info and tried to push their lines back further. I have been able to add 1 to 4 generation to myself and my matches lines which has lead to a possible connection for 3 of us paper trail may not be there but I have a share location which maybe as good as it gets. Wait for more matches it may take some time (years).

Haplogroup; it looks like you tested and he didn't. I think I was predicted to be the same as your match but once I did the Deep Clade test I changed to what you have. Since my matches all have a different surname I would like to get them to do the Deep Clade test because you can match on markers and be in a different Haplo if you are different than they are not a match and your wasting your time.

Comment

Thanks Ed!

For the record, on Ancestry my match had a 27 marker ran, but because of their numbering three markers did not play. The FTDNA of course matched all the way to 67 except the one exception.

I noted I may of confused something a little bit. As I said I am brick walled at my great grandfather. His family can be traced back to 1585, and I am sure of the surname match. We (and I include myself because the match and trace of his tree and share the surname) are considered one of the founding families of New France coming in the 1640's. Although he spells his name Goulet and I spell mine Goulait, I do have records on my great grandfather spelling it both ways on what sources I have been able to find.

I hope to solve the mystery. Perchance, in counting generations back would that issue from me going back or him going back for TIP percentages. Again, thanks for the response. JJG "Brickwall Buster"

Comment

Originally posted by brickwall buster View Post
        For the record, on Ancestry my match had a 27 marker ran, but because of their numbering three markers did not play. The FTDNA of course matched all the way to 67 except the one exception.

I noted I may of confused something a little bit. As I said I am brick walled at my great grandfather. His family can be traced back to 1585, and I am sure of the surname match. We (and I include myself because the match and trace of his tree and share the surname) are considered one of the founding families of New France coming in the 1640's. Although he spells his name Goulet and I spell mine Goulait, I do have records on my great grandfather spelling it both ways on what sources I have been able to find.

I hope to solve the mystery. Perchance, in counting generations back would that issue from me going back or him going back for TIP percentages. Again, thanks for the response. JJG "Brickwall Buster"
        You have a paper trail to your GGF and thought you were related to the family that went back to 1640 but don't have a paper connection for GGF to GGGF. So you took the Y-DNA test and matched up with a guy who also has or believes he has a connection to that line. Your names are spelled different but it's close enough. If he has made a connection to the family with a paper trail to the 1640 family your golden, if not you got a possibilityof being related. For me if I had a match or matches that have a paper trail to that family and I could not find a paper trail connection for my end I would just move on knowing I'm related and hope one day a paper trail becomes available. Turning over as many leafs as possible may lead you somewhere.

When it comes to tip percentage I don't think thats going to help because I found an explanation for 66 o/o 67 that had a range of 4 to 9 generation with percentages which was between I think under 50percent to 90 percent. I looked for it again and could not find it so sorry about that. But its the paper connection you have to make and Tip report not going to help you find that.

Comment

Working...
        X