Interpreting Y-DNA and Autosomal overlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpreting Y-DNA and Autosomal overlap

I noticed that with my Y-DNA, at 25 markers, I match a ton of Smeltzers (and a few variations of the name) then on GedMatch I also noticed a few Smeltzers matching me on the autosomal side of the house at 6 and 7 generations.

What should I make of this? Can I assume that these autosomal genes are clearly from my paternal line? Was my Hernandez line originally Smeltzer about 6 generations ago? What do you all think?

Originally posted by ahernandez View Post
    I noticed that with my Y-DNA, at 25 markers, I match a ton of Smeltzers (and a few variations of the name) then on GedMatch I also noticed a few Smeltzers matching me on the autosomal side of the house at 6 and 7 generations.

What should I make of this? Can I assume that these autosomal genes are clearly from my paternal line? Was my Hernandez line originally Smeltzer about 6 generations ago? What do you all think?
    Quick answer is No. You can not assume Smeltzers appearing on Gedmatch are related via your patrilineal line.

For one, 25 markers are relatively few to conclude your Hernandez descended from a Smeltzer. I would suggest Y37 or Y67 to see if Y DNA connection persists.

Even if your Hernandez does carry Smeltzer Y DNA (or vice versa), your autosomal cousins could be related via any of their and any of your ancestors. If the match in gedmatch is based on just a small segment (under 5 cM, and these are not matches in FF or RF), they may not even be real matches.

Comment

Thanks, Geneadict.

Comment

Working...
      X