DNA-Forums down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by basque View Post
    I found George on facebook and sent him a message last night, not heard back yet, I will try the admin e.mail.

basque
    Has anyone thought about sending a message to George via FamilyTreeDNA?
    Perhaps they have an email address for him that isn't in the public domain.

George's FTDNA kit# appears to be 64054.

Comment

Originally posted by clintonplatt View Post

Given that he doesn't appear to be responding to his known addresses or phone numbers, that may be worth trying.

However, the fact that he hasn't posted a note on this forum or any of the others he's a member of, as he has done in the past when his site was down for an extended period, makes me think he's incommunicado for a reason.

Perhaps he's traveling? I just hope he's personally okay.

Comment

Maybe the server that's down is his ISP, and he doesn't know we care. Being incommunicado isn't necessarily by choice.

Comment

Dna forums down

Originally posted by clintonplatt View Post

I sent an e.mail via the admin e.mail it bounced back and had no reply from a message I sent from his facebook page.

I am thinking of sending a message via one of his facebook friends see if they know anything, one of them is a member of dna forums.

I will do it now.

basque

Comment

Originally posted by jloe View Post
            That board was set-up by me. ~100 members.
            Anyone can join, subject to approval to prevent spammers.

If your account doesn't work, reset the password or request a new account.

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Sciences_and_History/index/

Caveat:
            Since it hasn't been used recently, there is minimal activity.
            Now 123 members.

Comment

Now 123 members.
              Now 137 members. It has been proposed to setup another site on private servers, which would give us independence. I will send a mass email to the membership if and when that happens.

In the meantime, everyone is welcome to join.

Comment

Incidentally, the same principles of quality posting will be the goal either on this site or on another site to be developed, i.e. standards of civility that are not maintained on certain other boards.

Comment

A new forum on an independent server has now been created.

Everyone is free and welcome to join:
                  http://eng.molgen.org/

The zetaboards site will remain available as a backup, since it is free.

Comment

Forums

I wanted to offer my domain and or server as well if anyone is interested. It's www.dna-reports.org. It's currently linked to my rackspace server but I can point it wherever people want it to go or they can use the free forum software on it.

Cheers,
                    Mike

Comment

I think I revealed too much about myself on DNA-forums.org. So maybe it's a good thing that it all disappeared; gone with the wind.

Comment

Is this the final consensus then: dna-forums is "gone with the wind"?

Comment

A new forum on an independent server has now been created.

Everyone is free and welcome to join:
                          http://eng.molgen.org/

The zetaboards site will remain available as a backup, since it is free.
                          Thank you..I have joined both..

Comment

DNA-Forums.org is/was so interesting because of the many persons/leaders in major online-projects active there:

Y chromosome / Y-DNA / Haplogroup Research
                            Genome/Autosomal data / Admixture analysis

I really hope they reunite in one good independent forum if dna-forums.org should not come back.

Comment

Originally posted by TiGen View Post
                              DNA-Forums.org is/was so interesting because of the many persons/leaders in major online-projects active there . . .
                              Among several other project admins.

Sad thing is that DNA-Forums is a tremendous historical database on ongoing research.

Let's hope it comes back.

Comment

Peter M. Op den Velde Boots (dna-forums.org founder)
                                Pete is a nice guy, but he wasn't a founder of dna-forums. He came along much later. George van der Merwede founded dna-forums originally using his own Van der Merwede family genealogical site. I was in on the founding back in 2006 and was one of the first administrators. I helped set up the sub-forums and recruited nearly all the first members (some will remember that).

I left back in 2009 because I did not like some of the things that were going on, but that is all I will say about that.

I am not unhappy to see dna-forums go, but it wouldn't bother me if it came back either. I just don't go there. I'm happy posting here and at World Families Network.

Comment

Working...
                                X