Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can DNA testing pinpoint an area of a country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go for it. As long as you are aware that you need to check the authenticity of what you find there it can give some good leads. Two weeks ago it gave me a new 4th cousin once removed. Collaboration has helped us both find the paper trail to add several generations to our Aberdeenshire ancestors. Also given us some good laughs as we have shared anecdotes.

Comment

I've been very happy with Ancestry.com. I was able to track down my paternal grandfather and was contacted by a first cousin twice removed who has provided me with some great information about a side of my family I knew very little about. I've also been able to get back into contact with a half aunt that I had lost track of twenty plus years ago.

Add in the fact that I may have tracked down my mothers biological family as well. I keep hoping I'll get a DNA match that will either lead me decisively towards or away from that lead but so far no luck on that front.

The records aren't fullproof but they have a tremendose amount of stuff in searchable digital format at Ancestry.com and are always adding more. It's not cheap, but in my experience it has been very much worth it.

Comment

So should we go the surname route for DNA testing via Family Tree, or go with Ancestry.com or 23andme?
        I'm sure my brother will go for the 67-marker test to shoot for the best results, but he won't want to pay over and over.
        In our case, what would you recommend?

Comment

My only slightly clued recommendation would be to pay for testing here and transfer the results to Ancestry.com.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
            My only slightly clued recommendation would be to pay for testing here and transfer the results to Ancestry.com.
            Hmmm, "here" as in on this forum's website, or "here" as in your signature?

Comment

FTDNA. The testing 23andMe does on Y and mitochondrial DNA isn't all that conclusive or detailed compared to FTDNA I believe. I've ordered my kit from FTDNA for these tests.

Comment

Originally posted by s.werner View Post

I'm debating taking the ancestry.com plunge just to have access to more records.
                Many libraries have Ancestry.com records with no cost to you with the Ancestry.com Library Edition. It just the documents, no trees or green leaves. Try the Library version since it appears to have about all the records of the regular expensive version. I use the Library version and tried the free 14 day trial and both had the same records. No need to pay Ancestry.com every month when the same records are no cost at the library just remember to bring a flash drive to save the docs.

Comment

Working...
                X