No announcement yet.

Starting From Scratch -- Best Way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23andMe do seem kind of desperate/confused. They are probably having cash flow problems and took the classic MBA approach of putting in place a system that would give them predictable monthly cash flow. That might have been OK going forward since new customers would have known what they were getting themselves into but 23andMe bungled things badly from the perspective of their existing customers.

I think I'm qualified for the lifetime subscription on two of the three tests I've had done there. I'll probably go that route when the option is offered and let the third one expire when the year is up. They just don't offer enough for me to feel like paying them anything more than a few bucks a month at this point and the subscription price is much higher than that.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
      I couldn't find it without knowing which community bin it is in, so I'll take your word that: 23andMe has changed their mind again or reverted to their earlier position or decided to honor their original contract.
      23andme changes their policies more often than my car gets an oil change. They also have much worse communication then FTDNA. Sometimes 23andme email support does not respond for a month! At least at FTDNA you can get a quick email response or speak to someone immediately on the phone.

The health updates actually the health info in general are in far too many cases worthless. I guess I should be happy I'm not at a high risk for some rare disease , but all the reports where I'm 1.1X or 1.2X risk really means nothing. It's definitely not worth the $5/month I was paying especially now that it's been jacked up to $9/month!
      Last edited by thetick; 2 March 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
        23andme changes their policies more often than my car gets an oil change. They also have much worse communication then FTDNA. Sometimes 23andme email support does not respond for a month! At least at FTDNA you can get a quick email response or speak to someone immediately on the phone.
        23andMe has their issues. I am less likely to recommend them now than in the past and that may change again in the future depending on what they do, with the exception of adoptees or recent NPEs where having the additional pond may still be more important.

Comment

I've never emailed 23andMe support. I have emailed FTDNA support a few times. The first time the response was very prompt and totally to my satisfaction. In fact I'd say FTDNA exceeded my expectations. More recently it seems to be taking weeks to get a response back.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
            "From the 23 board thread titled "Will you stay with 23andme?" on 2/27/12:"

I couldn't find it without knowing which community bin it is in, so I'll take your word that: 23andMe has changed their mind again or reverted to their earlier position or decided to honor their original contract.

Is this anyway to run a business?
            At the time of this reply, it's the 20th thread on your homepage, not counting health updates. I suppose one's attitude toward the 23 situation is mitigated by how much you paid for it, how long you've been a customer, what your expectations were, etc. As I've stated before, both companies have their strengths and weaknesses, and most of us don't know what's going on behind the scenes. This one certainly has its communication issues when things don't go quite right, and I'm not happy with the mtDNA Hap H situation, or the inability to see mt HVR2 only matches.
            Last edited by vinnie; 2 March 2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'm kinda curious what will happen once Ancestry fields their tests. I'm about to sign up for their 14 day trial in search of some census data and passenger lists, as I've noticed they've pretty much got a monopoly on scanned images of actual documents.

I wonder how long it will take them to get the genetic genealogy field by the short hairs?

Comment

Kind of back on topic... Is there a best "single source" document for someone starting out to understand the terminology used prevalently here on the boards? I must admit that about half of the posts I read lose me -- mostly when talking about segments and matching. I've been browsing the FAQ here, but am looking for something more like a single explanation, geared towards how the results look when testing through FTDNA. It would be nice to be able to see an example of what a person's Results view looks like with explanations attached ~before~ I place my order.

I think I'm smarter than the average bear, and should be able to easily grasp the concepts. However, I'm also lazier than the average (hibernating) bear and want the easiest way to get that knowledge.

Comment

Try looking under the Resources menu at "Interpreting the results e-book". It gives a good general starting point, then you can follow up more specific questions in the FAQs or via the forum once you start to analyse your results.

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                    Try looking under the Resources menu at "Interpreting the results e-book". It gives a good general starting point, then you can follow up more specific questions in the FAQs or via the forum once you start to analyse your results.
                    Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for, and I don't know how I missed it. Even in pdf so I can download to my phone for reading! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
                      This one certainly has its communication issues when things don't go quite right, and I'm not happy with the mtDNA Hap H situation, or the inability to see mt HVR2 only matches.
                      I'm H5a1 and curious what the H situation is? You certainly can see your HVR2 only matches with the Advanced Matching feature by just choosing HVR2.

Comment

Originally posted by s.werner View Post
                        I'm kinda curious what will happen once Ancestry fields their tests. I'm about to sign up for their 14 day trial in search of some census data and passenger lists, as I've noticed they've pretty much got a monopoly on scanned images of actual documents.
                        They're the biggest online genealogy company in the US market, but far from a monopoly. Archives.com, My Heritage, and Genealogy Bank are competing with Ancestry in several, albeit minor ways--especially on price. And in many non-US markets, Ancestry is far from the largest player. Bright Solid, which runs several major genealogy sites in the UK, is starting to compete in the US market on a pay-as-you-go basis, with CensusRecords.com. I think there will be even more competition in the future.

Originally posted by s.werner View Post
                        I wonder how long it will take them to get the genetic genealogy field by the short hairs?
                        I don't think that will ever happen. They bought Relative Genetics a few years ago, and their current DNA offerings are still pathetic. FTDNA offers the full-range of genetic genealogy testing, and 23andMe has a huge headstart on autosomal database size. Even FF will be larger than Ancestry's database, at least to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
                          I'm H5a1 and curious what the H situation is? You certainly can see your HVR2 only matches with the Advanced Matching feature by just choosing HVR2.
                          1. I have almost 10,000 HVR1 matches, and only a small number of those are confirmed H7. Likewise, I have almost 800 HVR1&2 matches, only one of which is confirmed H7. This situation is due, in my opinion, to the fact that FTDNA stopped offering subclade testing apart from the FMS. Additionally, I inadvertantly found out that a cheaper chip had been considered that might have affected subclade testing in some way, but FTDNA was dissuaded by a project manager. Since I don't have all the facts on this, that may have been the right decision for whatever reasons, but for those of us who've spent hundreds of dollars, if not more as I have, and who've voiced their concern with this situation, we would appreciate some communication from the company. Not to mention the amount of information that could be available to all of the genetic genealogy community if the subclades would be confirmed.

2. It appears that you can choose just HVR2, but you can't. I've confirmed this with the office. Any HVR2 that shows up is also an HVR1 match. According to FTDNA's parameters, my father has no mtDNA matches of any kind, but I found a person in the X project whose origins are literally miles from my father's. This person matches my father on HVR2, but mismatches by one on HVR1. When I try the HVR2 only search, the person doesn't show up. That's why I called the office.

Comment

1) Agreed. Same issue with me with so many worthless H only matches.

2) I see your point. I just assumed that all my HVR2 matches were also HVR1 matches based only results displayed. FTDNA really should address.

I personally wish FTDNA would show us our closest matches. Since I have 173 HVR2/HVR1 matches and no FGS matches, the results are pretty worthless.
                            Last edited by thetick; 3 March 2012, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X