Testing parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing parents?

Both of my parents are still alive. Is there any benefit to having them submit DNA? My father was adopted. I'm unclear as to if only I submit a test if that will be all I'll need now and in the future.

You will absolutely get a lot of information from testing your parents if you are thinking of the Family Finder test. You'll be able to separate your maternal matches from your paternal matches, making it easier to find the connection with you matches. You will also get more matches.

If you think you might not be able to get another sample, ask FTDNA to ship an extra testing vial when you order the test. That way they will have more DNA on storage for future testing.

-Kai

Comment

Have your father take a YDNA and Family Finder test. It won't distinguish which of his matches go to his birth mother or birth father parents but it might help to some degree and who knows maybe you will find something. The YDNA test may be helpful to determine his father's paternal ancestry.

On the other hand it would help you figure out which people in your list of FF matches are on your paternal side since anyone matching you and your father are your paternal side.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by Footprints View Post
        Both of my parents are still alive. Is there any benefit to having them submit DNA? My father was adopted. I'm unclear as to if only I submit a test if that will be all I'll need now and in the future.
        We only recently had my father tested. My guesses as to which cousins were from my dad or mother's sides (from my own FamilyFinder results) were pretty much confirmed by his results. A second benefit of testing a parent after you have been tested? Additional cousins will be discovered (cousins who are also related to you but not picked up by your own test results). In my dad's case, these additional cousins often point more towards the true ancestral (immigrant) populations.

Comment

Here is another advantage of testing both parents. Remember, half of your DNA comes from each. This means that you are missing half of your father's DNA & half of your mother's DNA. That missing DNA translates into potential matches that you are missing, especially for those that are beyond about 3rd cousin.

I also encourage you to test your parents' siblings, if any are living. Each of your parents represents 50% of your grandparents lineal genome. Add one of their siblings & the combined matches are ramped up to about 75% of the lineal genome. Add a third sibling & the ccombined matches are ramped up to about 87.5% of the lineal genome.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Family Finder is great with parents. I had my mother take the test and it found about 70 matches she was related to that had not shown on my own test. I now await my fathers results.

Comment

Working...
            X