Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

Hi, guys I have a question. I tested with Family Tree and they determine my Y DNA as simply J2 and my Mt DNA as simply H(CRS). I am kinda unhappy with that. With 23andme you pay about the same price and they say exact Y DNA and MT DNA,they also give you % European, Asian etc. I chose Family Tree because I thought and still think it is the best, but here it is so expensive. Basically I wanna now my subclades and % European and Asian,also eye color, I am not that interested in family finding, I know my family. For MT DNA I have so many,so many matches it is impossible to be family with all these people, for Y DNA I have 2 Germans, 1 Russian Jew and 1 Polish Jew, that are exact match and a bunch of Italians, Greeks, more Germans and a Hungarian for 1 step match. Most people do not reply, so I kinda wander what is the idea, to be searching for Family on the first place if people do not replay. The Jew was angry I guess coz I kindly ask him what he thinks about our common ancestor Roman, Greek etc,and he said he is 100 % Jew ha ha ha ha. Well I am also 100% Bulgarian but DNA is a lot older then the concepts of nations! A lot of people do not get this. I ordered today also Hvar 2 for the MT DNA and after 1 or 2 mounts I am also going to upgrade my Y DNA. What would you advise me to buy, I can not spend a fortune!I wanna now if I am J2(my matches are J2a4h most of them),J2a or J2a4h and if I am H1,H2 etc or just H, I also wanna now % European, Asian etc. This is what I am interested in, searching for family not at all, if I find somebody cool,but it is by no means my goal. Should I have remorse that I did not ordered 23andme? I did not order it because I thought Family Tree is better and because there you can pay only with credit card and as a common European I do not own one! Cheers!

You should of tested with National Geographic.
    Who can beat this outfit?

Comment

Man, I am Bulgarian so English is not my native language,but I really do not understand you, which country r u from?You speak English?? There two companies Family Tree and 23andme, National geographic not that good!

Comment

23 and me only tests your SNPs, not your STR for the paternal y and maternal tests. And their ancestry painting is absolutely worthless unless you are 100% European. Population finder in much more informative and it is part of the family finder tests. Hardly anyone will communicate with you at 23 and Me, most of them are anonymous and prefer to remain so. They are only there for the health results. You are much better off being here.

Comment

OK thanks! I am either 100% or 99% European,as I am 100% Bulgarian all the way I can research. Bulgarians are 100% European mixture between Med Europeans and Slavic Europeans.In 23andme Bulgarians are either 100% or 99% European. I care about if I am J2a or J2b, H1 or H5 that kind of stuff.But I will stick around here!It is sad and frustrating J2, it means nothing and H(CRS),but well when I have more money I will upgrade. But now when I have ordered hvar 2 this vague H CRS will become something like H1 or H5 etc right? And when I upgrade my Y DNA I will at least become from J2 -J2a right? Cheers!

Comment

Actually I've had a decent response at the other company that has been mentioned here. I have over forty sharing at the basic level and only 325 matches. I haven't even bothered with the bulk of my 8cm matches either. Still, I'm hoping for better here. I don't care about companies, I care about results.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_mke View Post
              Actually I've had a decent response at the other company that has been mentioned here. I have over forty sharing at the basic level and only 325 matches. I haven't even bothered with the bulk of my 8cm matches either. Still, I'm hoping for better here. I don't care about companies, I care about results.
              Same here. I just asked a question and some guy treats me like I betrayed Family Tree he he.I pay them,them give me services. I have not even ordered a 23andme test,so there is not point in the funny statements of the guy above.

Comment

Originally posted by Jizo View Post
                And when I upgrade my Y DNA I will at least become from J2 -J2a right?
                No.

FTDNA predicts only your backbone haplogroup from the first 12 markers. Predicted and not confirmed. More markers will not change their prediction. To confirm your haplogroup, you need to order Deep Clade for $89. And that includes only certain SNPs. To drill down further, you need to order from the Advanced menu at $29 each plus a one time $9.50 transfer fee. The administrator of the J2 project can probably advise you further.

Comment

Originally posted by Jizo View Post
                  ......And when I upgrade my Y DNA I will at least become from J2 -J2a right? Cheers! ...
                  I would not assume you are J2 based on a prediction with less than 67 markers.

The original prediction by FTDNA for me was J2.
                  My father's brother's grandson was predicted to be J2.
                  We are J1.
                  The more Y-STRs you have, the easier it is to predict your haplogroup.
                  Even without any SNPs, it is fairly evident at 37 markers and almost certain at 67 markers.

At 67 markers, the 28 markers with the lowest mutation rates are included.

Comment

Originally posted by teyoung View Post
                    No.

FTDNA predicts only your backbone haplogroup from the first 12 markers. Predicted and not confirmed. More markers will not change their prediction. To confirm your haplogroup, you need to order Deep Clade for $89. And that includes only certain SNPs. To drill down further, you need to order from the Advanced menu at $29 each plus a one time $9.50 transfer fee. The administrator of the J2 project can probably advise you further.
                    Yeah then why you say no? I will order for 90 dollars upgrade so I will get J2a or J2a4 right?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnLloydScharf View Post
                      I would not assume you are J2 based on a prediction with less than 67 markers.

The original prediction by FTDNA for me was J2.
                      My father's brother's grandson was predicted to be J2.
                      We are J1.
                      The more Y-STRs you have, the easier it is to predict your haplogroup.
                      Even without any SNPs, it is fairly evident at 37 markers and almost certain at 67 markers.

At 67 markers, the 28 markers with the lowest mutation rates are included.
                      This is what is nasty and frustrating, it is paying ,paying. But I got matches already all of them are J2,mostly J2a4h. I have my numbers which are different than the numbers of the J1 people.But who knows. But it would be a scandal if they say to you J1 and it is J2, or visa versa.At least there is no chance for me to be R1b or I2a or Q,in the sense that would be way of and a big scandal.Cheers!
                      Thats way I was thinking of 23andme at least if they say to me J2 or J2a then it is 100%!

Comment

Up to now I have payed like 200 EUR and basically I got nothing, I checked 23andme it is one time payment of 270 EUR and you got everything so I will save money and do the 23andme. No hard feeling towards Family Tree, a good company, but not what I am interested from. I am not searching for family. I feel remorse that I did not know that before .I really hoped that Family Tree tells haplogorups well obviously not!Sad!I have done the Family Tree test and now I can compare with 23andme, it would be a scandal if Family Tree lied that I am J2!Sad,sad!

Comment

Jizo

Do yourself a favor before you leave dissatisfied, order the Deep Clade SNP test because that upgrade will prove to you which Y Haplo Group and sub group you are really in. FTDNA is in the SNP business and if they are estimating you in
                          Y Haplo Group J2, then you can bet you are in J2 or one of it's sub groups.

I have been a DNA participant with FTDNA since 2004, and I can tell you from personal experience that I have 100% confidence with FTDNA.
                          I have seen other DNA companies make Y Haplo Group prediction errors many times since 2004, mistakes that FTDNA very very rarely makes because they are in the SNP business! There is no better company out there to tell you what your Y Haplo Group is then FTDNA.

If your goal is to be able to prove your Y Haplo Group, then stay with FTDNA and order the Deep Clade SNP test because they are in the SNP business and you will not get such testing available at any other company.

There is no such thing as a perfect DNA company, they all make mistakes.
                          But I can tell you from personal experience that I have not personally seen the mistakes made by FTDNA that I have seen made by other DNA companies.

Time and time again I have contacted certain participants whom had tested with other DNA companies who's Y Haplo Groups were clearly wrong and asked those participants to re-test through FTDNA who got their Y Haplo Group reported correct the first time!
                          I do not promote a company that I am not 100% satisfied and I can tell you I am 100% satisfied with FTDNA.

If you have no intent on sharing family tree information with other participants, don't! In your profile just remove your email address so no one can make contact with you, that simple.
                          But don't make presumptions that FTDNA has reported your Haplo Group incorrectly when you have the option of ordering the Deep Clade SNP test upgrade, a test not available with the other DNA companies.

If FTDNA has predicted you in Y Haplo J2, you can bet they are very close to the right answer because there is no one better at predicting someone's
                          Y Haplo Group then FTDNA. But in order to dig deeper to find your sub group, you must order the Deep Clade SNP test.

You can test with every other company out there, they will not be SNP testing you like FTDNA can.
                          And before you go off half cocked thinking a mistake has been made on your estimated Y Haplo Group prediction, please go to this web page and put in your FTDNA marker values first and see what this web site's Y Haplo prediction it gives you.

http://predictor.ydna.ru/

This Y Haplo Group predictor web page isn't flawless, but I find it to be a very good Y Haplo Group predictor based solely on your marker results.
                          Of the markers I have put in on that web site, it got it's Y Haplo Group predictions correct 100% of the time, but the only true way to your
                          Y Haplo Group and sub groups is to Deep Clade SNP test through FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Locke View Post
                            Jizo

Do yourself a favor before you leave dissatisfied, order the Deep Clade SNP test because that upgrade will prove to you which Y Haplo Group and sub group you are really in. FTDNA is in the SNP business and if they are estimating you in
                            Y Haplo Group J2, then you can bet you are in J2 or one of it's sub groups.

I have been a DNA participant with FTDNA since 2004, and I can tell you from personal experience that I have 100% confidence with FTDNA.
                            I have seen other DNA companies make Y Haplo Group prediction errors many times since 2004, mistakes that FTDNA very very rarely makes because they are in the SNP business! There is no better company out there to tell you what your Y Haplo Group is then FTDNA.

If your goal is to be able to prove your Y Haplo Group, then stay with FTDNA and order the Deep Clade SNP test because they are in the SNP business and you will not get such testing available at any other company.

There is no such thing as a perfect DNA company, they all make mistakes.
                            But I can tell you from personal experience that I have not personally seen the mistakes made by FTDNA that I have seen made by other DNA companies.

Time and time again I have contacted certain participants whom had tested with other DNA companies who's Y Haplo Groups were clearly wrong and asked those participants to re-test through FTDNA who got their Y Haplo Group reported correct the first time!
                            I do not promote a company that I am not 100% satisfied and I can tell you I am 100% satisfied with FTDNA.

If you have no intent on sharing family tree information with other participants, don't! In your profile just remove your email address so no one can make contact with you, that simple.
                            But don't make presumptions that FTDNA has reported your Haplo Group incorrectly when you have the option of ordering the Deep Clade SNP test upgrade, a test not available with the other DNA companies.

If FTDNA has predicted you in Y Haplo J2, you can bet they are very close to the right answer because there is no one better at predicting someone's
                            Y Haplo Group then FTDNA. But in order to dig deeper to find your sub group, you must order the Deep Clade SNP test.

You can test with every other company out there, they will not be SNP testing you like FTDNA can.
                            And before you go off half cocked thinking a mistake has been made on your estimated Y Haplo Group prediction, please go to this web page and put in your FTDNA marker values first and see what this web site's Y Haplo prediction it gives you.

http://predictor.ydna.ru/

This Y Haplo Group predictor web page isn't flawless, but I find it to be a very good Y Haplo Group predictor based solely on your marker results.
                            Of the markers I have put in on that web site, it got it's Y Haplo Group predictions correct 100% of the time, but the only true way to your
                            Y Haplo Group and sub groups is to Deep Clade SNP test through FTDNA.
                            Dear Donald, thank you for the replay. And thanks a billion for the predictor.It said 96 % chance that I am J2a4. I will follow your advise and stick around.I thought a lot, but even from practical point of view here they already have my sample. I ordered yesterday hvar 2, afterwards I will order the deep clade for Y DNA and possibly the warrior gene, can you tell me something about it. And finally when I have money I will conclude with the Family Finder. It is not that I do not find it interesting to find family it is just expensive, they do not respond and it is not my primary goal,but it is among my goals. Thank you one more time for you response, you really convince me! Cheers!

Comment

Good deal Jizo! Glad you are reconsidering!

FTDNA is predicting you are in J2* and the web site is predicting you are in a deeper sub group J2a4. FTDNA's prediction of J2* appears to be right on the money!

This is exactly why new participants should not rush to judgement.
                              There is a learning curve each and everyone of us must go through, take your time to educate yourselves on what your DNA results really means.

I find that is the most common mistake for new participants, is to rush to judgement with out having all the facts in hand first.
                              I know what I know today, because I have spent years educating myself on the DNA facts. I too like most participants rushed to judgement before I knew and understood what it all really meant.

I tested with FTDNA back in 2004, and since then have learned leaps and bounds beyond what I knew back in 2004! It is a learning curve that we all must go through, and there is no shame in asking questions!

Once you have ordered your Deep Clade SNP test, will you better understand exactly which J2 sub group you belong in. Knowledge my friend is power!
                              Until each and every one of you educates yourselves on your own DNA test results, you lack the knowledge to understand it all.
                              Like the old saying goes, patience is a virtue! Take the time to educate yourselves and not be in a rush to make judgements and conclusions before you have all the facts presented before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X