inbreeding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inbreeding ?

Is it possible to tell from a Ydna 37 , test if the actual person who submited the sample was inbred or is a mutant themselves ? What would the cost be to find that out ?

Originally posted by 507 View Post
    Is it possible to tell from a Ydna 37 , test if the actual person who submited the sample was inbred or is a mutant themselves ? What would the cost be to find that out ?
    Hmmm...aren't we all mutants in one way or another? As for being "inbred" I think FF would be the best test for that, but only if enough of your inbred relatives also tested so you could see all those shared chromosome segments on both sides of your family.
    Last edited by vinnie; 26 January 2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie View Post
      Hmmm...aren't we all mutants in one way or another? As for being "inbred" I think FF would be the best test for that, but only if enough of your inbred relatives also tested so you could see all those shared chromosome segments on both sides of your family.

FF is too expensive.

Comment

To answer your question directly than no , a Y test is not helpful. It just allows to follow a line from a father to son.
        The only way I know is through autosomal testing like Family Finder.
        Some poulations are inbred to some degree due to founder effects. When a small group of people settle an area and intermarry. French Canadians , Colonial Americans , people of Jewish ancestry are some examples.
        If you are asking if , for example, did my grandfather marry his sister, than
        You would need DNA samples from them , if still living, or their descendants.
        Then you would have to pay for Family Finder tests for both and compare results.

Regarding mutations that cause physical problems other companies offer DNA testing that looks at that sort of thing.
        23andme for example.

Comment

Then there are rumors. I remember once that my mother sort of asserted that my father's Scandinavian side were inbred. But I don't know exactly what she meant by that, with her contemptuous tone.

Comment

Working...
          X