X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Central Kentucky

I know there must be many more partipants out there with direct
    South Central Kentucky ties.

Counties included are: Adair, Barren, Casey, Cumberland, Green, Hart, Lincoln, Monroe, Pulaski, Russell, and Wayne.

I hope many of you from those regions consider joining the S C Ky project one day soon. Some of those family's have lived in those counties since the formation of those counties, and are still living in those counties today!
    I know most of my family tree have been in Barren County and Hart County Kentucky since their formations and have descendants still living in the region today.

Brooks, Harper, Hall, Chapman, Pedigo, Logsdon, Ford, Edwards. Griffin / Griffith, Dennison, Lock / Locke, Flatt, Scruggs, and a great many others have strong family ties to Barren County and Hart County Ky 1800 to today.
    You know who you are! lol.

This is a very small project that could one day be a very large and important project because a great many family's of South Central Ky are all directly and indirectly related to one another over many generations.
    If your direct line came from one of the South Central Ky counties, please come join us in this project!

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/southcentralkydna/

Sounds like this should really be a Cumberland River valley project. I say this because there were a number of families along the Cumberland in Tennessee with next of kin living north of the Kentucky line.

I have Lovell, Smith, Coe, Burrus, Hord in Clay Co., TN from ca 1800 onwards & Coffey and Vermillion in Russell Co., KY from an early day as well.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

South Central Kentucky Project

Hello, all.....
      If this project also includes Clinton County, Ky., I have the families of Guinn, Bullard, Bandy, among others. Looking forward to results, and I also believe this could become a major group.

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman View Post
        Sounds like this should really be a Cumberland River valley project. I say this because there were a number of families along the Cumberland in Tennessee with next of kin living north of the Kentucky line.
        It's always a source of wonder to me that TN and KY can manage to ignore each other as well as they do. Until about a hundred years ago people moved up and down rivers, or along the ridges between them; and that state line was not drawn by a river. The people who usually work with genealogists are historical societies; and they nearly always define themselves by record groups (by counties or states) and libraries that pay far too much attention to political lines, and far too little either to geological or to cultural ones.

Occasionally someone like Harriet Arnow comes along who looks at the natural region, the folk culture, etc. -- and manages to some extent to ignore the political boundaries. But works like her "Seedtime on" and "Flowering of" the Cumberland are few and far between. Some good work in your area has been done by folklore students and faculty at Western KY in Bowling Green, but I'm not up to date on it. Some is much more recent than the Arnow books, anyway.

This train of thought came to mind when I noticed the names "Flatt and Scruggs," in that order, in the first post. Their music had a following in both states. One might almost say it's in our DNA.

Comment

Not my project, just promoting it trying to get it going.
          I know many family's of Barren County Kentucky and Hart County Kentucky migrated to Jackson County Tennessee, including the Lock and Flatt family's among others.

Comment

I once tried to join, but was discouraged by the moderator to, for some reason. Anyway, I already belong to too many projects as it is.

My direct maternal line passed through that way in the early 1800s. Lincoln County was once much bigger. It and a daughter county, Casey County, are the main areas of note. Since then they seem to have fanned out in all directions; mine going on to Indiana when it was opened for settlement, following the War of 1812.

Surnames: Falconbury (my maternal line), Falconberry, Wall/Walls, and other surnames of husbands who married all of the various daughters.

Comment

I have joined. My surnames are Strode in Monroe County, and Myers in Pulaski County.

Comment

Working...
              X