Uncle who past away may be my birth father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle who past away may be my birth father

I am a adoptie and recently found out that the most likely person to be my birth father is my birth mothers own twin brother. Unfortunately her twin brother past away last year before I could do a DNA test to find out if he really is my birth father. My question is could I test his son or daughter to find out if he is my birth father? Would that work, knowing his sister/their Aunt is also related. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. Please someone point me in the right direction. Thank you

Originally posted by tm1970
    I am a adoptie and recently found out that the most likely person to be my birth father is my birth mothers own twin brother. Unfortunately her twin brother past away last year before I could do a DNA test to find out if he really is my birth father. My question is could I test his son or daughter to find out if he is my birth father? Would that work, knowing his sister/their Aunt is also related. I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. Please someone point me in the right direction. Thank you
    Yes, testing any male on the paternal side of his family will do, or testing anyone's mtDNA who came through your "uncle"'s mother. Good luck and peace.

Comment

Testing one of your uncle's daughter would be of no use to answering your question. My suggestion is to get a son of your uncle to take the test and go for a 37 marker test.

Comment

The test offered by FTDNA are "NOT" paternity test.
        Don Potter Jr

Comment

Hi tm1970,

Excuse the question, but are you male or female?.

If you are male, then you and your "uncle's" son could both have Y-DNA tests done (preferably 37 marker, but if money is tight you could order the 12 marker test and if you match closely then upgrade - if you don't match and are off by several markers or are even estimated to be in different haplogroups entirely, then that would suggest that your uncle wasn't your father - that of course assumes that there were no paternity issues with your cousin).

If you are female, then I don't think that DNA testing will conclusively tell you whether or not your uncle was your father. There are sibling tests that other companies do, that could be taken between cousins, but since you're already related via your mother, then any similarity could be purely from that relationship.

Angela.

Comment

Thank you to all who replied to my posting

Thank you to all who replied to my posting. You all have been very helpful. In regards to Angela's question, I am female. From what Angela is saying, it sounds like I don't have much hope for DNA testing unless I was a male. I am however going to talk to my Uncles widow in June and thought possibly If she still has a hair brush or something to that extant that I may be able to do a DNA match off from that. Does anyone have any input regarding this? Does anyone know of a company that would do a DNA test from hair samples? Thank you, Mary

Comment

Thank you to all who replied to my posting. You all have been very helpful. In regards to Angela's question, I am female. From what Angela is saying, it sounds like I don't have much hope for DNA testing unless I was a male. I am however going to talk to my Uncles widow in June and thought possibly If she still has a hair brush or something to that extant that I may be able to do a DNA match off from that. Does anyone have any input regarding this? Does anyone know of a company that would do a DNA test from hair samples? Thank you, Mary
              You can still technically look at the X chromosome. If the two X's are the same, then...
              If they are different, you can still compare it with your "uncle"'s progeny and with your mother's.
              Also, autosomal DNA would be able to pick up on it technically. There is just a lot of twists and turns.
              I'm sure somewhere they can do it all for you.

Comment

tm1970,

There's a DNA test for siblings. You might be able to find your answer by having one of his kids take the sibling test with you. You can find a company who does the test by typing the words "sibling DNA test" in a popular search engine.

Comment

I hate to say this even if you do match that does not mean 100% chance he is your father. I suppose I mean it could have been a cousin as well.

Anyway good luck in your search for the answer and remember a 100% match doesn't mean it a fact. It just mean a very good chance of it had happened.

Comment

New Twist ~In The Uncle Could Be My Father

Thank you again for all the replies. There is a new twist I just found out about today. There is a good chance that I may have a "full" bother. We already know we have the same mother, and he thinks we may very well have the same father, our Uncle.
                    You see I have a piece of paper Which list my DNA. It is from a test I had done to rule out the man who was listed in my records as my birthfather. This possible "full" brother also has a piece of paper which lists his DNA, if he can get it released from the state of Michigan. I will be checking into the sibling DNA test site (thanks haplogroupc). I was wondering if there is another way or place where we can go to have them compared to see if we are a full blooded match? Myself not knowing that much about DNA, will looking at two pieces of paper side by side even work? Thanks

Comment

i am not sure you can do that since he is male and your female you dont have his ydna .

if you uncle is your dads brother they would have the same dna as would the uncles son both should match your dads

if you are talking mtdna thats hard smalled populations might have the mtdna run thru them were multiple people would have it because their ggggrand mom
                      were sisters

maybe you need other tests then these

Comment

Have you...

thought about what it would mean to you to learn that you are the result of incest, whether consensual or otherwise, if I understand the scenario? If not, I would recommend perhaps some sort of counseling before you pursue this farther. Or, call Doctor Laura...

This is a very serious thing to discover. And, even if you can handle it, what about other family members, and your own descendants? That is, assuming you let others know what you have found.

If this is mere curiosity, I would suggest NOT doing any more. Even if you are doing it for genealogy reasons, it needs some serious thought.

I am assuming you have thought it through, and really know what you are doing, but just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by irlandes
                          thought about what it would mean to you to learn that you are the result of incest, whether consensual or otherwise, if I understand the scenario? If not, I would recommend perhaps some sort of counseling before you pursue this farther. Or, call Doctor Laura...

This is a very serious thing to discover. And, even if you can handle it, what about other family members, and your own descendants? That is, assuming you let others know what you have found.

If this is mere curiosity, I would suggest NOT doing any more. Even if you are doing it for genealogy reasons, it needs some serious thought.

I am assuming you have thought it through, and really know what you are doing, but just in case...
                          I fully agree. Do you know if your mother's brother had a history of mental illness? No offense to you, but sleeping with a twin is just sick.
                          If you must know, I would suggest a sibling test.

Comment

Thank you again for all the replies. There is a new twist I just found out about today. There is a good chance that I may have a "full" bother. We already know we have the same mother, and he thinks we may very well have the same father, our Uncle.
                            You see I have a piece of paper Which list my DNA. It is from a test I had done to rule out the man who was listed in my records as my birthfather. This possible "full" brother also has a piece of paper which lists his DNA, if he can get it released from the state of Michigan. I will be checking into the sibling DNA test site (thanks haplogroupc). I was wondering if there is another way or place where we can go to have them compared to see if we are a full blooded match? Myself not knowing that much about DNA, will looking at two pieces of paper side by side even work? Thanks

Hello,
                            Just a word of encouragement as that is exactly what I am researching right now! <small world> I am male and I apparently have a brother [cousin] who has agreed to be Y-DNA tested. The strange thing in all this is that I look exactly like my "uncle". I look more like him than all of my 1/2 sibs. Good hunting.
                            Bob

Comment

Working...
                            X