Ordering a Kit for Other's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordering a Kit for Other's

I just ordered a kit to be sent to some one. I entered their information for the email, mailing address, and my credit card information to pay for it. Is that the proper way to do that or do they have another way for when you purchase a kit for some one else?

Originally posted by arries View Post
    I just ordered a kit to be sent to some one. I entered their information for the email, mailing address, and my credit card information to pay for it. Is that the proper way to do that or do they have another way for when you purchase a kit for some one else?
    I did just what you did when I ordered my cousin's kit and my husband's kit but I added my own email to each account because they are not big genealogy buffs.

Comment

If I'm paying for a kit & essentially managing a relative's DNA result, I always include my e-mail address. Seems like the best people to test are usually not very interested in genealogy. If you enter their e-mail, there is a good chance that they will delete the e-mail that contains the ID & pw & you will never see it.

In some cases, I have kits sent to me, which I then distribute or I enter the subjects mailing address, so that they get it directly. But if I have paid for it, after the kit comes back with a sample, I usually change their address to say c/o Timothy Peterman.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Well, I ordered it for some one that I don't really know, so I don't think they'd want me to manage that kind of information. The person is interested in genealogy, so he was willing to do it, and I offered to pay for it when I first asked him. I just wanted to know if that was the only way or the best way? Cuz, I have another person I need to ask...

Sounds like it's the only way through FTDNA ordering, just a matter of changing information when ordering it.

Thanks!

Comment

Y-DNA test for relative

I, too, am hoping to purchase a 37-marker Y-DNA test for a male relative.

Two questions:

When I explain the process, is it still 2 cheek swabs? I want to be able to walk him through the process, so he knows exactly what to expect.

Also, with someone who's up in years, how do you broach the subject of designating a beneficiary (in case future upgrades are needed) - or would it be better to just go ahead and pay for a 67-marker test?

Comment

Y-dna

Originally posted by WCoaster View Post
            I, too, am hoping to purchase a 37-marker Y-DNA test for a male relative.

Two questions:

When I explain the process, is it still 2 cheek swabs? I want to be able to walk him through the process, so he knows exactly what to expect.

Also, with someone who's up in years, how do you broach the subject of designating a beneficiary (in case future upgrades are needed) - or would it be better to just go ahead and pay for a 67-marker test?
            Hi WCoaster,
            The Kit consists of two swabs, two tubes, instructions, and the release form.
            The kit does come with 2 swabs still. If you want 3 swabs I think FTDNA will send out 3 if you tell them it is for an older relative.

I had the comprehensive Genome test done on my father which includes Family Finder, the Y-DNA67 and the Full Mitochondrial Sequence (FMS).

My father got a kit with 2 swabs and then at a later date I also had a Deep Clade test done.
            Before I had the Deep Clade test done I asked FTDNA if I should have enough DNA to run another test they said yes.

The 2 swabs should be enough for a test at a later time. If you do have concerns give them a call or email and ask if they could send you 3 swabs instead.

My father ended up with the 2 swabs because the 1st test kit got lost in the mail originally they sent out 3 swabs but for a 2nd test kit it was 2 and I called and FTNDA told me they would send out another swab if I wanted. I did not take them up on the offer knowing my father's heath problems.

Cheryl

Comment

Thanks, Cheryl! That's really helpful information. I appreciate it, and feel better prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by CAM View Post
                FTNDA told me they would send out another swab if I wanted. I did not take them up on the offer knowing my father's heath problems.
                Actually, this is when you should get more swabs. I made the mistake of not getting more than the original 2 swabs from my grandfather, and it turns out his original swabs were not very good quality (I wasn't with him when he did the swabs, so I have no idea what he did!), so the lab had trouble testing them and both had to be used for his original Y-DNA and mtDNA tests.

My grandfather passed away about a year after I first had him tested, before I had a chance to get more DNA from him (or rather, I did have the chance, but I procrastinated and didn't think it was necessary at the time!). So now I don't have enough of his DNA left for Family Finder (requires an untested swab) or any future testing.

So for the sick and elderly -- definitely DO get more than 2 swabs if you can!

Elise

Comment

Well, I ordered it for some one that I don't really know, so I don't think they'd want me to manage that kind of information. The person is interested in genealogy, so he was willing to do it, and I offered to pay for it when I first asked him. I just wanted to know if that was the only way or the best way? Cuz, I have another person I need to ask...

Sounds like it's the only way through FTDNA ordering, just a matter of changing information when ordering it.

Thanks!
                  It may sound sneaky, but when you order the test kit, there is a location to enter a second email address. FTDNA will then send teh kit number and password to both email addresses. Unless the person tested changes the password, you will be able to keep track of the test results. You do not have to manage the results.

I have done that with 5 test kits that I have ordered for others. Three of them do not match me and I have just ignored them since the results came back. The person tested has the information and access, so tey can do whatever they want with the information. The other two are my sisters and they also have my access information. There is nothing there that I have any need to hide from them.

But if you are paying for the test then you deserve to have some additional access.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
                    It may sound sneaky, but when you order the test kit, there is a location to enter a second email address. FTDNA will then send teh kit number and password to both email addresses. Unless the person tested changes the password, you will be able to keep track of the test results. You do not have to manage the results.

But if you are paying for the test then you deserve to have some additional access.

After I ordered it, the kit# and password popped up, but I just ignored it. I'm thinking of, since he's interested in genealogy then he might want to order other tests.

Your right, I guess he could change his password. Now I don't know the status..

I'm assuming after all the results are in that his name may appear in my account as a match, if he's a match.

Comment

After I ordered it, the kit# and password popped up, but I just ignored it.
                      In the future, if you order a kit for someone else, just write down the persons name, kit number and password. Then you will have it if you need it.

Comment

Family Finder

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                        Actually, this is when you should get more swabs. I made the mistake of not getting more than the original 2 swabs from my grandfather, and it turns out his original swabs were not very good quality (I wasn't with him when he did the swabs, so I have no idea what he did!), so the lab had trouble testing them and both had to be used for his original Y-DNA and mtDNA tests.

My grandfather passed away about a year after I first had him tested, before I had a chance to get more DNA from him (or rather, I did have the chance, but I procrastinated and didn't think it was necessary at the time!). So now I don't have enough of his DNA left for Family Finder (requires an untested swab) or any future testing.

So for the sick and elderly -- definitely DO get more than 2 swabs if you can!

Elise
                        Elise I am sorry you are not able to do more test. Curious about something because I was told by someone at FTNDA that it no longer requires as much as it did for the FFtest.
                        With my father I was more concerned with getting the test done than waiting for another swab that I was not sure when it would come.
                        Since I did all the test I could at that time their was no reason to and as it turns out . I can have more testing done on my fathers DNA according to FTDNA but their is no reason to.
                        My father I am told has unique values for his Y-DNA he does have a couple of 12 marker matches distance of 1 but no others I went to 67 markers. So no reason to do any more and no SNPS to order. So in less I get a match on his Y-DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by CAM View Post
                          Curious about something because I was told by someone at FTNDA that it no longer requires as much as it did for the FFtest.
                          To my knowledge, FF might require less than DNA since the conversion from Affy to Illumina, but it still requires a significant amount of DNA, so FTDNA still requires an untested swab. An untested swab gives the best chance of success the first time around, and less chance that they'll have to re-run the test due to poor results.

Elise

Comment

FFtest

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                            To my knowledge, FF might require less than DNA since the conversion from Affy to Illumina, but it still requires a significant amount of DNA, so FTDNA still requires an untested swab. An untested swab gives the best chance of success the first time around, and less chance that they'll have to re-run the test due to poor results.

Elise
                            Elise Thank you . It has been a while since I asked FTDNA that question and I was told with the Illumina it did take less DNA than what was required from the Affy.

Cheryl

Comment

Working...
                            X