"gedcom" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "gedcom" ??

What exactly is "GEDCOM" ? If its a place to put your family tree online how do you go about doing that ? I dont have my family tree anywhere but on paper in a safety box. What is the easiest way to put your family tree online ?

Gedcom is a name of a file and you have to have your tree at a site like Ancestry maybe Rootsweb but I'm not sure about them. At Ancestry click Family Tree's and pick the tree you want to up load by clicking manage tree you'll see export tree tab. Its very easy just follow the steps. The only matches I have found a Common Ancestor for have a Gedcom and sure name list it just makes it easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 507 View Post
      What exactly is "GEDCOM" ? If its a place to put your family tree online how do you go about doing that ? I dont have my family tree anywhere but on paper in a safety box. What is the easiest way to put your family tree online ?
      http://www.genealogy.about.com/od/fa...ogy-Gedcom.htm

Also see forum here about favorite software.
      Last edited by Peacock100; 11 January 2012, 08:41 AM. Reason: bad link

Comment

Well Gedcom can do other things besides family trees such as do autosomal comparions for people who have taken the family finder test.
        To create a family tree you need software that will create a .GED file
        There are some free ones and commercial ones. After you create your tree , you save it and then do an upload to gedmatch

Comment

You seem to be mixing up Gedmatch and Gedcom. Gedcom is a file format. It does not do autosomal comparisons.

Comment

GEDCOM is a file format. It allows you to share your family tree data with others who use different software than you do. It allows you to move your family tree data from one software to another. Almost any family tree software will create a GEDCOM file for you from your family tree, whether it's online (like ancestry.com) or software that's on your computer (like Legacy).

If your family tree is on paper you would need to input your information into one software or another in order to create a GEDCOM file. There's a wide range of choices of software to use, some are free, others cost something, typically $30 - $80 or so.

Comment

You seem to be mixing up Gedmatch and Gedcom. Gedcom is a file format. It does not do autosomal comparisons.
              Yes sorry I saw the OP asking about a place to upload family trees and thought he meant gedmatch

Comment

So first I have to put the family tree on Ancestry.com or somewhere like that ?

Comment

You will need to either: a. buy software that will allow you to input your family tree or b. find free software that will allow you to input your family tree or c. join a site such as ancestry which will allow you to input your family tree.

Once you choose one of those, and put all of your info in, you will be able to "download" your tree to your computer - that is your .ged file

Comment

which is the best and most simple option for a beginner ?

Comment

I have an account at Ancestry.com and don't have any family tree software. You can make a free tree there, and download it in Gedcom form. I have a paid acct, not sure what you have to do for a free acct, if that is your wish. I was a beginner when I created the tree and am middle-aged. I consider it easy to use, but that's just me.

Comment

PAF - Free

which is the best and most simple option for a beginner ?
                        It may not be the BEST, put it is free and it is simple. It is provided by LDS at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/paf/

Comment

I think it all depends on how serious you are about genealogy and what your goals are. Family tree development which allows for a paper trail is a must .
                          DNA testing needs to be followed up with a paper trail.
                          Ancestry.com is a good place to start but you have to buy a subscription.

Comment

You can make a tree on Ancestry.com for free.

Comment

Ancestry.com is free to input your family tree information. What costs money is a subscription to access all their databases and attach records to people in your family tree. When you initially register, they give you a week or two of free access to try to get you hooked. But it's not at all necessary to subscribe if all you want to do is enter the information for your family tree.

There are also several desktop genealogy programs where the "Basic" or "Standard" version is free, but the "Deluxe" or "Premium" version costs money. Family Tree Builder by MyHeritage, Legacy Family Tree Standard Edition, and RootsMagic Essentials are three I'm aware of for Windows. Any of them should work to input the basic information and export a GEDCOM.

Comment

Working...
                              X