Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autosomal/Y-DNA Match Possible Relative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
    You just need to match one of the alleles. One comes from the father and the other from the mother, but we don't know which is which -- just that both alleles were in the "soup." The alleles are customarily given in ascending order. If the results were

Person A: 12,14
    Person B: 10,12
    Would the alleles be given in ascending order between potential uncle/nephew or half-sibling results as well?

Also what would be considered a meaningful result for an autosomal STR result between an uncle and a nephew?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by limbicognito; 12 January 2012, 10:01 AM. Reason: Thank you Ann

Comment

edit.. walked away and didn't see others had replied... till I hit submit. question answered... except - not everyone assumed it was FF he was talking about.

Matt.
      Last edited by mkdexter; 12 January 2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
        I'm sorry to say that in STR testing 2 out of 20 markers does not mean there is a match. Your 2 marker autosomal match would be similar to having 2 YDNA markers that match (also STRs) and as you know if 2 YDNA markers matched out of 12 or 25, it would not be considered a match.

Matt.
        Thanks Matt, actually it's probably more than 2/20 since I did not know how to correctly interpret the results when I made that assumption.

Comment

One number (out of two per marker) must be equal with one number out of two from the other person's test.

Two markers (where one number per each matched) may just be coincidence.

I match a person 4 out of 15 markers and he is not related to be at all.

STRs are not useful in determining a cousin relationship, only a sibling or parent/child and the parameters are much different than Family Finder testing.

Your best bet is to use Family Finder.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
            STRs are not useful in determining a cousin relationship, only a sibling or parent/child and the parameters are much different than Family Finder testing.

Your best bet is to use Family Finder.

Matt.
            Okay, in the case of a sibling, what would be a useful autosomal STR result?

I still have a bunch of other tests on order at FTDNA but will order a Family Finder also.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by limbicognito View Post
              Would the alleles be given in ascending order between potential uncle/nephew or half-sibling results as well?

Also what would be considered a meaningful result for an autosomal STR result between an uncle and a nephew?

Thanks again!
              Yes, the alleles are always given in ascending order.

However, uncle/nephew is really too distant to be confident about the STR method, and even half-siblings can sometimes be ambiguous. The Family Finder test is your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by limbicognito View Post
                Okay, in the case of a sibling, what would be a useful autosomal STR result?
                That's not a question we can answer easily. The frequency of the allele in the general population is part of the calculations. If you match on a rare allele, that's more informative than matching on a common one.

The Family Finder test is different because it looks for long stretches of DNA where you are at least half-identical to the other party. In the case of full siblings, there will also be a number of segments where they are completely identical (whatever the father gave to one child, he gave to the other, AND whatever the mother gave to one child, she also gave to the other).

Comment

Thanks to everyone who answered, sincerely appreciate it!
                  Last edited by limbicognito; 12 January 2012, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X