Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting developments at 23andMe

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...on-policy.html

There are a few blogs which have discussed the situation, which you'll find at the bottom of the website you linked to. I posted a comment (#5) on the discussion about this at Discover magazine's blog - see http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn...ogy-community/

Comment

@MMaddi

That link is also referenced in the original article. Let's hope with all the bad press all the pro and amateur genealogists come here to FTDNA and these forums will no longer be the ghost town they once were.

Hopefully FTDNA will let us bash 23andme about their terrible change of policy as long as we don't post a link to 23andme's website. BTW I just put a bogus date on my credit card showing it expires this month. Hopefully I will not be calling the credit card company about 23andme charging me despite my email stating my subscription was finished.

It would not surprise me if they charge my credit card anyway considering they just ignore promises send in emails and tend to change their policies as often as my bathroom gets cleaned.

Comment

I ordered two V3 update kits back when they had a sale, so I got them both for $14 total (shipping and handling). I'm glad I've let them just sit now. At this rate I'll always be on the V2 over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Elistariel View Post
          I ordered two V3 update kits back when they had a sale, so I got them both for $14 total (shipping and handling). I'm glad I've let them just sit now. At this rate I'll always be on the V2 over there.
          I'm in the same situation. My sister and I were tested on the v2 chip at 23andMe. So, at least for now, we have no monthly subscription fee and presumably will keep getting new Relative Finder cousins. Who knows if 23andMe will suddenly change their TOS for v2 customers too?

I had thought of upgrading to v3 and am glad I didn't. The only drawback to that is that I can't upload my 23andMe results into FTDNA's Family Finder database for a small fee. I'll have to order the full Family Finder test to be in FTDNA's database, which is where the autosomal SNP testing for genealogy action will be in the future.

Comment

Cancelled mine...

before I submitted a sample. That compulsory subscription rate did not sit well with me, and I expressed my concern with them about that. Not to mention that they are also part of a greater research project, and hence, all of the surveys (which is a positive component ultimately, but one that I should not subsidize for their benefit), and the inability to transfer the results.

That sale price certainly was nice though.

Comment

I tested on the v2 chip at 23&Me and never upgraded. I wasn't about to pay the subscription fee, and I think it's doubled since they introduced it. Do the math! Unless you're particularly interested in, or need, the health results, it's cheaper in the long run to buy a Family Finder test here, which is what I finally did when the current sale began.

I got my results just before Christmas and uploaded them to Gedmatch. I was surprised to see how much difference there was in my results between v2 and v3 at Gedmatch.

Carol Anne

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                I'm in the same situation. My sister and I were tested on the v2 chip at 23andMe. So, at least for now, we have no monthly subscription fee and presumably will keep getting new Relative Finder cousins. Who knows if 23andMe will suddenly change their TOS for v2 customers too?

I had thought of upgrading to v3 and am glad I didn't. The only drawback to that is that I can't upload my 23andMe results into FTDNA's Family Finder database for a small fee. I'll have to order the full Family Finder test to be in FTDNA's database, which is where the autosomal SNP testing for genealogy action will be in the future.
                MMaddi,

I am in the same boat as you with 23andMe, I am V2 and hope I still continue getting matches.

I understand that FTDNA has extended their holiday sale until January 7 so you may wish to grab a FF kit!

Judy

Comment

There is a link to a petition regarding this matter on the yourgeneticgenealogist site.

Last I checked there are more than 200 signers.

Comment

23andMe Petition

There are 288 e-signers as of 11am central on 1/4.
                    But, you should remember that many who signed actually represent multiple kits/family members, so that number is not totally accurate.

Weighing the cost to transfer raw data as opposed to subscription... if the pricing from the FAQ remains the same.

Transfer (new account) $100 TOTAL
                    Transfer (existing act) $ 50 TOTAL

Subscribe to 23 updates at $9/month or $108/year

Based on comments in the "community" posts, my guess is that when the door opens, there will be a flood of takers here and that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Good news for FTDNA folk.

Comment

Just signed up my brother Jon for Family Finder while it is still on sale. All of my closest family members on Relative Finder are on the V2 chip, so Jon's already having an account here did no good for me. As soon as I can transfer all my V3 accounts over to here , I will cancel the subscriptions there.
                      Donna

Comment

If FTDNA would change the transfer price to $50 for anyone I think their transfers numbers would be huge! They could keep it $100 for new kits but offer a $50 credit towards a future purchase for that kit. This would make almost all the transfers buy ydna or mtdna since 23andme's SNPs for those are full of no calls and missing many subclade markers.

Just a free marketing suggestion from me. I'd still be at 23andme and probably praising them as I did early on if they would listen to their vocal genealogical customers and not scew ALL customers by removing established matches from lapsed subscriptions that met the requirement!
                        Last edited by thetick; 4 January 2012, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Summary of Changes at 23

This article sort of sums up the whole thing.
                          http://www.genomeweb.com/mdx/23andme...on-subscribers

Many things that were suspected but never before officially confirmed are included in this well-written story. The post to the community news group yesterday by company CEO AW was not nearly as clear.

One thing you can be sure of... Once the download becomes available, there will be more matches here.

Comment

That article is missing the most important part. [email protected] replied back to emails and some customers have the actual emails. Below is one and their is also one that states the same with the health data.

Hello,

When a subscription ends existing connections aren't lost. They do lose the ability to find new matches as new members join the 23andMe Community, however.

Best Regards,
                            The 23andMe Team

How legally can official 23andme support send emails like above to customers and then just change the policy. It is a breech of contract and I would not be surprised if a class action lawsuit is filed. The CEO will not acknowledge this and just states the customers misunderstood. Sounds like her own support team misunderstood the policy also! The reality is 23andme had no idea what it was doing, and I suspect IT was not able to get the proper programing working and tested in the short time they had. Thus the mess 23andmen has with angry customers, uneducated support, overworked IT, and a naive or just blatantly lying CEO.
                            Last edited by thetick; 6 January 2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

There is also a gathering movement among 23andMe users to withdraw from research participation, but this only effects the correlation of customers' survey responses to their genomic data, not the use of genomic data per se, that, once scrubbed of identifiers and subject to any "analysis" is company property.

Comment

Working...
                              X