Warrior Gene - Results Interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Gene - Results Interpretation

I got my warrior gene results and I'm wondering if anyone can interpret these results for me. Am I, or am I not, Jack the Ripper, Version 2.0??

--------------------------------

Marker Results Analysis
    MAOA 3 Repeats Warrior Variant
    3 and 3.5 Repeats One copy each of the Warrior and Normal Variants
    3 and 4 Repeats One copy each of the Warrior and Normal Variants
    3 and 5 Repeats One copy each of the Warrior and Normal Variants
    3.5 and 4 Repeats Normal Variants
    4 Repeats Normal Variant

I just received an answer from FTDNA as to what my test results mean.

Your test results indicate that you have one copy of the warrior gene variant, and one copy of the normal variant. This means that you are a carrier of the gene, however the gene is not expressed. You could potentially pass the "Warrior" copy of the gene on to your offspring without exhibiting the characteristics of the gene yourself.

Cool!

Comment

Soooo

A wolf in sheep's clothing??

Comment

Originally posted by Dumbldorf View Post
        A wolf in sheep's clothing??
        Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! LOL!!

Comment

Is it safe to assume that since I have one copy of the Warrior Gene, does my brother also have it? It certainly would explain a LOT about his behavior, that's for sure..

Comment

Originally posted by girlperson1 View Post
            Is it safe to assume that since I have one copy of the Warrior Gene, does my brother also have it? It certainly would explain a LOT about his behavior, that's for sure..
            Not necessarily; it's a gene on the X chromosome. You have one of each allele, with no easy way of telling which parent gave you which. He could have inherited either allele.

Comment

I thought the Warrior Gene was passed only from mother to child(ren)

Comment

I thought the Warrior Gene was passed only from mother to child(ren)
                No, you must be thinking of mtDNA. FTDNA's page about the test describes it fairly well, and gives an appropriate disclaimer at the bottom (emphasis added):
                Studies have linked the "Warrior Gene" to increased risk-taking and to retaliatory behavior. Men with the "Warrior Gene" are not necessarily more aggressive, but they are more likely to respond aggressively to perceived conflict.

Because men have one copy of the X-chromosome, a variant that reduces the function of this gene has more of an influence on them. Women, having two X-chromosomes, are more likely to have at least one normally functioning gene copy, and variants in women have not been studied as extensively.
                Note: Among the many advances and discoveries of modern DNA and genetics are 'scientific' oddities. These genetic wonders make it into popular culture and develop a life there that far outpaces their academic worth. These factoids are best used as 'cocktail conversation' starters. We present them to our customers as just that.
                Its effects aren't anywhere near the hype. In fact, the name "warrior gene" doesn't appear in any of the numerous studies on the monoamine oxidase-A (MAOA) gene. They use more subdued, clinical language, and talk in terms of precise measurements and probabilities. It does appear, however, in subsequent articles on the ethics and reaction to the news stories about it. The term itself was coined by some reporter on the science beat, who typically don't understand the concepts they write about very well.

I mean, how can you sell newspapers if you stick to the actual language in the academic journals? The title of the paper that got it all started was "A functional polymorphism in the monoamine oxidase A gene promoter." Not too sexy. One of the follow-up papers had a slightly better title: "A regulatory polymorphism of the monoamine oxidase-A gene may be associated with variability in aggression, impulsivity, and central nervous system serotonergic responsivity." It's even more of a mouthful, but at least it talks about aggression and impulsiveness!

I'm afraid this is just another case where something got overblown by so-called "journalists." If it bleeds, it leads...

Comment

So I could have received my one copy from my father or mother albeit knowing my parents I would guess my mother handed it to me, no one can do war the way she does....

Comment

In the end, I believe this explains why I own a T-shirt that says:

PLAYS WITH SWORDS.

Comment

In the end, I believe this explains why I own a T-shirt that says:

PLAYS WITH SWORDS.

Nice; fencing or SCA?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                        Nice; fencing or SCA?
                        SCA and Katana. +------

Comment

Working...
                        X