need help !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help !

I've read a number of posts but get more confused as I go along. My problem is that I am trying to find info on my paternal grandmother, my father was adopted and never knew is parents. I've had a 67 marker test done on myself and a 25 marker test for my sister. I match 64/67 with MacPhersons and I am really confused about my sister's info. My question is using my dna information how do I find out about my paternal grandmother? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by rowe856 View Post
    I've read a number of posts but get more confused as I go along. My problem is that I am trying to find info on my paternal grandmother, my father was adopted and never knew is parents. I've had a 67 marker test done on myself and a 25 marker test for my sister. I match 64/67 with MacPhersons and I am really confused about my sister's info. My question is using my dna information how do I find out about my paternal grandmother? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    A Y-DNA test will tell you about your paternal grandfather, it won't tell you anything about a grandmother. And a Y-DNA test of your sister would fail, since she has no Y chromosome.

From your wording, it's unclear whether your father's still around. If he is, or if he has any known biological siblings (who share the same mother), an mtDNA test would tell you about her.

Probably your best bet with such a close relation would be the Family Finder (FF) test. Of course, you'd likely get matches from both paternal and maternal relatives. Figuring out how you're related to matches is the hard part.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
      A Y-DNA test will tell you about your paternal grandfather, it won't tell you anything about a grandmother. And a Y-DNA test of your sister would fail, since she has no Y chromosome.

From your wording, it's unclear whether your father's still around. If he is, or if he has any known biological siblings (who share the same mother), an mtDNA test would tell you about her.

Probably your best bet with such a close relation would be the Family Finder (FF) test. Of course, you'd likely get matches from both paternal and maternal relatives. Figuring out how you're related to matches is the hard part.
      Good advice.

Comment

What 25 marker test did you have for your sister? Women don't have Y-DNA so the Y-DNA25 test on her whould find she has no Y-DNA.

Comment

23andMe's test might be a better option as it allows matching on the X chromosome. One of your sister's two X's came from your father and is a recombined product of the two X's of your paternal grandmother.

The BIG problem with 23andMe is getting other users to compare results, without comparison you can't know if they share with your sister on X. However, 23andMe also has a feature called Ancestry Finder that does show matches on X and the declared ancestries of the match.

You can get a demo account at 23andMe that allows you to test drive the service.
          Last edited by tomcat; 8 December 2011, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Family Finder is your best bet. It gives you far more overall informtion than than mt or Y DNA testing. (I actually started out with Y testing.)

The thing to remember: There are rarely any immediate answers with even FamilyFinder. Look for surnames of distant cousins you recognize. Look for repeated listing of ancestral names by cousins. Contact by email cousins who you feel might be good leads. Be prepared for cousins who never answer even the simplest emails. Be aware that some cousins have actually passed away since taking the test -- a relative they have appointed as a contact might take longer to reply to you. Use the chromosome browser to look for segment matches between cousins -- to see if your cousins themselves are related -- you may have come across a branch of your family.

If trusted, known relatives have told you basics about your family history, keep that information close by -- I have found that most of the time, such information (with minor exceptions and sometimes variations of the facts) turns out to be true. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
              23andMe's test might be a better option as it allows matching on the X chromosome. One of your sister's two X's came from your father and is a recombined product of the two X's of your paternal grandmother.

The BIG problem with 23andMe is getting other users to compare results, without comparison you can't know if they share with your sister on X. However, 23andMe also has a feature called Ancestry Finder that does show matches on X and the declared ancestries of the match.

You can get a demo account at 23andMe that allows you to test drive the service.
              Good advice from tomcat, also. Be aware though, that the Family Finder test does include X DNA results, which tomcat also said but to clarify what tomcat said, the X DNA results are not open for comparison at FTDNA yet. FTDNA is working on a proper alogoritm, before it includes comparisons of the X-DNA results gleaned from Family Finder tests. X-DNA results from FTDNA can be uploaded to e.g., Gedmatch.com (thanks to John Olson who is the founder and owner of that excellent site), and compared to results from others who have tested at FTDNA and at 23 and Me.

Linda

Comment

If you use Family Finder (or 23andMe) try to test multiple living relatives if you can. The more confirmed relatives you test the better chance you have of determining which side of your family the other matching people are connected to.

One problem with DNA is a non-match is not conclusive; only a match is conclusive. Many people have maternal matches who do not match on the X chromosome and for that reason its not necessarily going to help you to use 23andMe with the X included in the matching. In reality for an adoption issue you want answers to... test everywhere..

Matt.
                Last edited by mkdexter; 9 December 2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X