I am new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new

I have had they37 test done and have gotten a partial return on the deep clade test.
    I am R1a1b1a2a1b RP312+
    Tests: P312+ SRY2626- P314.2- L172.2-

What does this mean?
    any guess on my ancestry orgin?

David

Useful R1a sites

Hi David,

I'm not directly answering your question; however, I wanted to suggest that you read the Haplogroup R1a Wikipedia page as well as subscribe to the R1a haplogroup mailing list on rootsweb. You'll probably have the opportunity to get better answers by posting your question to that list.

Good luck!

Sean

Comment

Additionally, there are also forums for every y- and mt-DNA haplogroup at http://dna-forums.org which are also very good for in-depth discussions of haplogroups
      Originally posted by sstaats View Post
      Hi David,

I'm not directly answering your question; however, I wanted to suggest that you read the Haplogroup R1a Wikipedia page as well as subscribe to the R1a haplogroup mailing list on rootsweb. You'll probably have the opportunity to get better answers by posting your question to that list.

Good luck!

Sean

Comment

David,

Actually, being that you're P312+, your haplogroup is R1b1a2a1a1b, not R1a1b1a2a1b I know, the long names are very confusing and it's easy to get them twisted -- so it's best to just use a shorthand notation, like R-P312.

So the R1b project and the R-P312 and subclades project are the best ones to join:

R1b - http://www.familytreedna.com/public/r1b/
        R-P312 - www.familytreedna.com/public/atlantic-r1b1c/

(R1b1c is an old name for R1b1a2)

Elise

Comment

I have been told that they will need to run more tests for my deep clade test so far P312+ SRY2627- P314.2- L226- L21- L196- L193- L176.2- L159.2- L144- more results will be in on 1-3-12. Seems the family legend that my anscestors were from Ireland maybe wrong. No matches to anyone in the Banks group but have some from the surname Lee -1 at 37 marker. This Lee has chosen not to mark his test public. Also upgraded to Y67 marker test results will be availabe 1-30-12.
          I can trace my paternal line to a John Banks in Craven Co, N.C. in the 1700's. There is a person with the Lee name from the 1800 Craven Co,NC census. This could be the reason I can't find anything beyond this John. Maybe he was a Lee?

David

Comment

Originally posted by MDB View Post
            I have been told that they will need to run more tests for my deep clade test so far P312+ SRY2627- P314.2- L226- L21- L196- L193- L176.2- L159.2- L144- more results will be in on 1-3-12. Seems the family legend that my anscestors were from Ireland maybe wrong.
            Not necessarily wrong. P312 is quite common in both Ireland and England.

Comment

I am new also

I am new also and not really sure if this is posted in the correct place. All these numbers and letters are totally Greek to me............

Will there be instructions somewhere on how to "interpret" all this when the DNA test comes back.

I just ordered the 37 marker test. My brother is going to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallgirl View Post
                ... All these numbers and letters are totally Greek to me............
                Welcome ! I'm a newbie too ... you may find this useful ... http://www.ukindia.com/zip/zgk1.htm

Seriously, though, I've found that there is PLENTY here at the FAQs, the Projects, and within the Forum topics to 'bring you up to speed' as a general user. The Forum has many well qualified and helpful members.

If you want to get deeply involved in the science, I can't advise you, but someone else will I am sure.

Between now, and when the Y37 test results arrive, you'll have plenty of time to do the basic 'homework'. Good luck with your test results.

Comment

Visit http://www.familytreedna.com/books-and-videos.aspx for a source of several good books.

Trace Your Roots with DNA : Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree by Megan Smolenyak, Ann Turner is a bit dated, but I think it is one of the best places to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    Trace Your Roots with DNA : Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree by Megan Smolenyak, Ann Turner is a bit dated, but I think it is one of the best places to start.
                    I'd recommend "DNA and Social Networking" by Debbie Kennett instead. She just published it recently, so it includes autosomal testing, and the other chapters are also more up-to-date. It's not out in hardcover in the US yet, but you can already get the Kindle edition.

Comment

I test negative on all the subclades, so I am R-P312.
                      So what is next?

Comment

I test negative on all the subclades, so I am R-P312.
                        So what is next?
                        Join the projects that efgen mentioned. The project's leaders should suggest a testing strategy for you using "advanced SNPs" as applicable.

Comment

so far I am not very impressed from what I have been able to learn thru my YDNA testing. I not found out anything that I had not learned thru normal research methods. plus there seems to be alot of conflict in what exactly what your results mean. I was excted about DNA testing at first. Now wished I had saved my mone.

Comment

so far I am not very impressed from what I have been able to learn thru my YDNA testing. I not found out anything that I had not learned thru normal research methods. plus there seems to be alot of conflict in what exactly what your results mean.
                            I think you wrote that you had close matches at 37 markers, and so you were going to upgrade to the full 67. Did you do so? Do you still have close matches at that higher level?

Comment

so far I am not very impressed from what I have been able to learn thru my YDNA testing. I not found out anything that I had not learned thru normal research methods. plus there seems to be alot of conflict in what exactly what your results mean. I was excted about DNA testing at first. Now wished I had saved my mone.
                              And what exactly were you hoping to learn when you did the Y-DNA test? If you were looking for relative matches who may share a common relative with you in more recent time frame, then that would be the Family Finder test.

Judy

Comment

Working...
                              X