DNA and Big Brother - Interesting Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA and Big Brother - Interesting Reading

Hmmm ... mailing our swabs to China or India sounds like fun (not) ...

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...policies_.html

So, for example, Germany has instituted a law so broad that it basically prevents anyone from getting her own genes sequenced without a doctor’s permission. If the genome-interpreting industry is forced by regulatory limbo to seek shelter outside the United States, we may see developing countries like India compete to fill the market gap.
    Fingers crossed that none of this comes to fruition, and the FDA gets it act together.
    Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 29 November 2011, 07:51 AM.

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post

So, for example, Germany has instituted a law so broad that it basically prevents anyone from getting her own genes sequenced without a doctor’s permission. If the genome-interpreting industry is forced by regulatory limbo to seek shelter outside the United States, we may see developing countries like India compete to fill the market gap.
    Members of ISOGG have testified at various hearings the FDA's held about this over the past couple years. 23andMe can't ship to Maryland or New York because of stupid state laws. Depending on your point of view, at best they're being paternalistic, at worst they're denying people a fundamental human right to knowledge about their own bodies.

Naturally, people find ways around the laws both here and abroad. I've read of many people who have their kits sent to an address across state lines, and there are companies who will drop ship the kits to you, via London; France and Russia have similar laws to Germany. But that can get prohibitively expensive, on top of the price of the kit and international shipping. I'd have no qualms about shipping a DNA sample to China or India for a good quality full-genome scan, if it was available, and I could afford it.

Fingers crossed that none of this comes to fruition, and the FDA gets it act together.
    Not likely, government agencies suffer from a perfect storm of incompetent leadership: bureaucrats and political appointees.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
      Not likely, government agencies suffer from a perfect storm of incompetent leadership: bureaucrats and political appointees.
      ... not to mention the "creationist" lobby.

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
        ... not to mention the "creationist" lobby.
        Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
          True. But the last time I looked, 'we' put the politicians into their jobs, and the politicians oversee the bureaucrats and make appointments.

(I hope that two or three of the relevant hierarchy have a strong interest in Genealogy and Genetealogy.)

Comment

23andMe can't ship to Maryland or New York
            I just wanted to qualify that statement a bit.
            The law that deters 23andme from shipping to new York is a spitting law.
            Cheek swabs etc are fine. Also they actually do ship after you sign an electronic waiver acknowledging you know your not suppose to spit and ship

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              I just wanted to qualify that statement a bit.
              The law that deters 23andme from shipping to new York is a spitting law.
              Cheek swabs etc are fine. Also they actually do ship after you sign an electronic waiver acknowledging you know your not suppose to spit and ship
              That's even more ridiculous than what I understood previously. What does New York have against spitting?
              Last edited by nathanm; 29 November 2011, 06:36 PM.

Comment

That's even more ridiculous than what I understood previously. What does New York have against spitting?
                I was afraid someone would ask me that . lol
                It was eight months ago that I tested there so I cannot recall the disclaimer in detail. It was something like spitting and mailing spit is a public hygiene hazard.. or similar..perhaps someone from new York who has tested at 23andme has better recall than I. It did sound pretty silly to me , after all , when you lick a stamp your mailing spit .

Comment

Interesting link here:
                  http://www.dnapolicy.org/resources/S...all_states.pdf

Matt.

Comment

Posted on 23andMe by a member of this list:

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                      Posted on 23andMe by a member of this list:

That's how this thread started ... nihil sub sole novum.

Comment

My father had to use a courier firm as New Zealand Post would not send his DNA kit via their services. He said it was only 300 yards away from the Post office.

Comment

I think the Big Brother here is the AMA. This has been going on for awile, the "oh my´s" as to what will happen to people who take DNA tests and discover a disease potential. The fact of the matter is that people at 23 and Me, which focuses on health related DNA results, take it all in stride. Some people have been helped by finding out that they, e.g. like a cousin of mine, found out she had a massive disposition to breast cancer and insisted on being examined for breast cancer and caught it in an early stage. She would not have known about the risk otherwise. She also discovered that her "father" was not her biological father and found her biological father, via 23 and Me.

Adoptees and people who are not aware of NPE´s in their family have no idea as to what heritable health risks they may have inherited. Services like 23 and Me can help people in that situation and it is wrong for the FDA, pushed by the AMA to block people from exploring their genetic risks. I read the petitions when this was going on and it was obvious that the AMA wanted physicians on the board of DNA testing companies, to advise customers. I may be wrong but think this is what it is about, the AMA maybe wanting their piece of the cake. Just my opinion which might be wrong. Could be my fellow physicaians are just over concerned.

I am a physician myself and had the same concerns originally, to be fair to AMA members and their lobby. After participating at 23 and Me where I took the full test because it was on sale - only wanted the genealogy part but did the fulll works, could see for myself there was nothing in the results to be afraid of and could read the blogs and see how people deal with their results and nothing to be concerned about. To the contrary.

Comment

Your DNA is inalienable private property.

[QUOTE=

Adoptees and people who are not aware of NPE´s in their family have no idea as to what heritable health risks they may have inherited. Services like 23 and Me can help people in that situation and it is wrong for the FDA, pushed by the AMA to block people from exploring their genetic risks. QUOTE]

From another physician, well said! Logically it is like legislating that you should not look at your tongue in the mirror without a doctor present.
                            Commonsense observations of the status of your body, are good for your health.

Comment

Yes & how much of the opposition to these cheap tests is coming from the medical labs which charge high prices for single medical genetic tests. A while ago, a local paper here (in Washington state) had an article about inherited breast cancer & quoted a price of over $3000 for a single breast cancer gene test. One gene. (Don't ask me which paper because unfortunately I did not save the article). These medical labs don't want to lose out on the money they charge, to our cheap genetic labs currently charging less than $500 for a whole range of tests. Just my opinion...
                              Last edited by ragnar; 3 December 2011, 02:02 AM. Reason: gave location

Comment

Working...
                              X