Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you do it ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would you do it ?

    I took the YDNA test and I have 2 exact matches at 37 markers. We don't know how we could be related yet. Our family tree's dont match as far as we can tell but one of them says that he strongly suspects one of his paternal ancestors was adopted. They have both upgraded to the 67 marker test. Do yall think that it would help If I upgraded to 67 markers ? The "Time to most recent common ancestor" seems to be so vague and the window so wide that I don't know if it would even help . How much would it narrow down the gap as to what generation we should be looking for the link in our family trees ?

  • #2
    Originally posted by 507 View Post
    I took the YDNA test and I have 2 exact matches at 37 markers. We don't know how we could be related yet. Our family tree's dont match as far as we can tell but one of them says that he strongly suspects one of his paternal ancestors was adopted. They have both upgraded to the 67 marker test. Do yall think that it would help If I upgraded to 67 markers ? The "Time to most recent common ancestor" seems to be so vague and the window so wide that I don't know if it would even help . How much would it narrow down the gap as to what generation we should be looking for the link in our family trees ?
    As far as I have read, 37/37 has you related quite closely (GD 0), and I think the numbers are about 90% within 5 generations and 95% within 8 generations. The FTDNA FAQ says "Very few people achieve this close level of a match". If you tested 67 markers, however, and had 67/67, then I think the 95% chance closes to about 6 generations and you have better than 50/50 chance it is within just 2 generations. Someone else here will give you more exact numbers, but I'd be over the moon with 67/67 !!.

    Even before upgrading to Y-67, if I had the possibility of 95% at 6 generations, (mid to late 1800s +/- ), I'd at least be making contact with my two 37/37 matches and figuring out the possibilities. And you have TWO exact 37/37 matches. The adoption you suspect (or a NPE) will mean that the family tree names don't have to match with your tree of course. Just a little research will probably find common geography for that timeframe, at least, and you can work it from there using paper trails. As it appears that the two others have decided to upgrade to 67, then I would probably be doing that too (Sale prices !).

    I presume you have also posted your Y37 results far and wide (Y Search, Ancestry, Genetree, etc).

    Good luck.
    Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 24 November 2011, 05:43 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      A lot will depend on your haplotype, what haplogroup you are and what your ancestral background is.
      Do you have a ysearch entry so we can look at your 37 markers to see if anything significant stands out.

      If your in R1b then I would say yes, go to 67.
      If your from a Western European background, and R1b, you need 67 markers.
      So many men in W Europe are R1b, and a 37 marker match could still be within the last few hundred years or more.

      If you are R1b, the 67 markers will also probably be able to suggest which R1b subgroup you may be part of.
      A lot of clusters are recognisable at 67 markers.

      If you can tell us your haplogroup and ysearch entry, maybe someone else can look at your markers and give better information.
      Last edited by rivergirl; 24 November 2011, 05:46 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I would upgrade while the sale is still on. The more markers you match on the closer you can assume that the most recent common ancestor lived.

        The estimates being given by FTDNA are based on averages for a large group. They may not apply to your small group of three. Your MRCA may be either closer or farther than predicted. These estimates should only be used as a very rough guide.

        Comment


        • #5
          YES go for it.. or ask the one who suspects an adoption to help you. Do this for his sake if not yours if you must. If they already went 67 go for it too. Some tests drop off in the last few panels so it would be good to know what your matches end up being at 67 markers.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
            YES go for it.. or ask the one who suspects an adoption to help you. Do this for his sake if not yours if you must. If they already went 67 go for it too. Some tests drop off in the last few panels so it would be good to know what your matches end up being at 67 markers.
            I agree, do the Y-67 while the FTDNA sale is on. It may help solve the mystery for several of you, and it will give you more detailed haplogroup info to boot.

            Judy

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 507 View Post
              I took the YDNA test and I have 2 exact matches at 37 markers. We don't know how we could be related yet. Our family tree's dont match as far as we can tell but one of them says that he strongly suspects one of his paternal ancestors was adopted. They have both upgraded to the 67 marker test. Do yall think that it would help If I upgraded to 67 markers ? The "Time to most recent common ancestor" seems to be so vague and the window so wide that I don't know if it would even help . How much would it narrow down the gap as to what generation we should be looking for the link in our family trees ?
              It is hard to give you an answer without knowing how much you know about your family tree. People have given some good answers to your questions here, but my question is, do you have a solid family tree (as solid as it can be barring non-paternal events in your tree?) and these other matches are matching you or are you seeking your paternal ancestors? DNA tests can become an expensive hobby (sorry FTDNA, but even with sales, that is so and to be fair to FTDNA, it is stated in the FAQ pages that it is a combination of DNA and paper trails that people need to rely upon and not DNA results alone). So, if your tree is solid and these other matches are matching you, maybe you should not upgrade, despite the current sale. If you are seeking ancestors and these people are matching you, would do it. Hope this makes sense.

              Linda

              Comment


              • #8
                Some 37 marker exact matches still won't be related within 8 generations (meaning only testing if there is a good tree is not a reason to hold off testing).

                If you have multiple exact 37 marker matches, take a 67 marker test if they will too. If you have multiple exact 67 marker matches, take a 111 marker test if they will too. That is the purpose of the YDNA upgrades of 67 and 111 markers; to refine the test. The more markers that can be compared the better the calculations that can be made to MCRA.

                It would be nice to know more information such as do the other two have the same surname as you, or at least the non-adopted one.


                Matt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thank yall for the many replys ! I appreciate it. This website says I am in haplogroup I2b1 . Of the 2 exact 37 marker matches I have, one is a woman and the other is a man. The man has a totally different last name than me and he says he knows his family tree back about 4 or 5 generations and then he says the rumor in his family is that an adoption took place back then. The other match I have is a woman and her " second middle name ???" or possibly , "maiden name ?? " is my last name. I have talked with the man a couple times through email but the woman has not responded to any of my emails. The whole thing with her seems strange because I thought only men could take the YDNA test. Almost seems like spam or a virus or something cause it's a womans name on a ydna test and she didn't respond to emails but she supposedly has the 67 marker test. As far as my family tree, I have paperwork and a family tree back to the 1600's but I am only certain that my father is my father. Past that I believe were all just guessing regardless of the situation. However, I have pictures and legal documents and things like that of my great , great grandfather and his family.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If there was a way we could get a connection narrowed down from 1838 or after that then I know all the details back that far and forward. All the sibling names. Many, many pictures. family Bibles. All the birth dates and death dates and where everyone is buried. Civil war documents. Pension war stuff. Paychecks. Power bills. Obituary documents. Birth certificates. Where they lived. What they did for a living. The houses they built. All that stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 507 View Post
                      Thank yall for the many replys ! I appreciate it. This website says I am in haplogroup I2b1 . Of the 2 exact 37 marker matches I have, one is a woman and the other is a man. The man has a totally different last name than me and he says he knows his family tree back about 4 or 5 generations and then he says the rumor in his family is that an adoption took place back then. The other match I have is a woman and her " second middle name ???" or possibly , "maiden name ?? " is my last name. I have talked with the man a couple times through email but the woman has not responded to any of my emails. The whole thing with her seems strange because I thought only men could take the YDNA test. Almost seems like spam or a virus or something cause it's a womans name on a ydna test and she didn't respond to emails but she supposedly has the 67 marker test. As far as my family tree, I have paperwork and a family tree back to the 1600's but I am only certain that my father is my father. Past that I believe were all just guessing regardless of the situation. However, I have pictures and legal documents and things like that of my great , great grandfather and his family.
                      The woman may have her name on the kit but had her brother, father, uncle etc actually doing the test. Woman do not have y chromsosomes, so cant do the test.

                      As mentioned above, doing a 67 marker test will give you a better idea of the match, I have 2 relatives descended from a guy in 1748, they have a 66/67 match. It will depend on what type of match you have at 67 markers.
                      With the sale on, its the best time to order an upgrade.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 507 View Post
                        If there was a way we could get a connection narrowed down from 1838 or after that then I know all the details back that far and forward. All the sibling names. Many, many pictures. family Bibles. All the birth dates and death dates and where everyone is buried. Civil war documents. Pension war stuff. Paychecks. Power bills. Obituary documents. Birth certificates. Where they lived. What they did for a living. The houses they built. All that stuff.
                        You are doing it the right way ... documentary evidence. The DNA matches will fall into place. Just be totally open minded about the family names. Mothers have babies and fathers have maybes. Things happen. My paternal G GF's status as a NPE c1831 was well hidden - by him and presumably his family at that time. He used his mother's maiden name as it turned out, and then for his own public documents, 'gave' his mother an earlier family name as her surname. It took many decades of searching to find that out. I am still trying to get past that 'brickwall'. DNA and paper trails will eventually get to the facts. Good luck with your contacts.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X