Archives.com Partners with Family Tree DNA to Offer DNA Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
    It dosent seem to be of much use if your family isn't from the United States.
    I am the first generation born here and my ancestors are from Canada.
    It's mostly U.S. records right now, but they do also have some record sets for Canada and the UK. Several other countries are listed too, but it appears most of those are related to their newspaper archive.

You can see what record collections they have here:

http://www.archives.com/collections

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
      Hey all,

Archives.com is relatively young company/website -- started only a couple years ago. They're working hard to build up their databases, and they are working on improvements to the website.

I had an opportunity to try out the site a few weeks ago and spent an hour on the phone with them providing feedback afterwards. So I know that they would definitely be interested in any feedback that you send to let them know what is or isn't working for you. Email them at [email protected], and be sure to let them know that you're a current Family Tree DNA customer.

Elise
      I will keep an open mind at this point. Give them a chance to grow. I will also pass on the feedback link to the folks who did not have a good experience in the past.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
        I will keep an open mind at this point. Give them a chance to grow.
        That's the way I'm looking at it. Even Ancestry started small... they've just had much more time to grow

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
          That's the way I'm looking at it. Even Ancestry started small... they've just had much more time to grow

Elise
          On that note, do you know if FTDNA has plans for partnering with any of the European online genealogy companies? Hopefully, this Archives.com deal will help them increase their offerings, and get more Americans into DNA testing. But someone posted to a thread in the admin topic about the apparent lack of Europeans testing. (I say apparent, because there's obviously plenty of interest. Debbie Kennett recently published a book on DNA, and also just responded in that thread.)

I know FTDNA has been attending the big WDYTYA event in London. Find My Past and its sister sites seem to be growing rapidly in the UK. Their parent company, brightsolid, had a large contingent at RootsTech last year, and their website mentions lots of other partnerships. I think it would be a good opportunity for growth, at least in the UK, and both companies are competing against Ancestry, in their respective market segments.

If you haven't heard anything, I'll suggest it.

Comment

Nathan,

I'm not personally aware of other plans for partnerships, but you never know Definitely worth suggesting.

Elise

Comment

Archives.com

If Archives.com wants to compete with Ancestry.com they have a long way to go. You can search the census records, but as far as I can tell you can't veiw the image. You must enter a last name which isn't good if the last name has been indexed wrong. You can't suggest an alternate name when you find something you think is wrong.

Comment

I just hope the National Geographic will still be involved.
                They went all over the world collecting DNA samples.
                The NG don't guess as to where your line came from.

ILI.

Comment

Originally posted by darroll View Post
                  I just hope the National Geographic will still be involved.
                  They went all over the world collecting DNA samples.
                  The NG don't guess as to where your line came from.
                  The Genographic Project ends next year. And one unfortunate side-effect is all the samples that haven't been requested to be transferred to FTDNA (for free I might add), will be destroyed.

Comment

I signed up for this. I have yet to find out how to view a listing of their records. I may cancel.

Comment

Originally posted by ragnar View Post
                      I signed up for this. I have yet to find out how to view a listing of their records. I may cancel.
                      Sign in, then go to Home in your member account. On the right side, it says how many collections they have, and there's a small "View" link. Click on that to see all the collections. The direct URL for members is:

http://www.archives.com/member/Defau...ct=Collections

Non-members, go to the Archives.com homepage and click on "Find Records" to see the list of collections. Direct URL:

http://www.archives.com/collections/

Elise
                      Last edited by efgen; 27 November 2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                        On that note, do you know if FTDNA has plans for partnering with any of the European online genealogy companies? Hopefully, this Archives.com deal will help them increase their offerings, and get more Americans into DNA testing. But someone posted to a thread in the admin topic about the apparent lack of Europeans testing. (I say apparent, because there's obviously plenty of interest. Debbie Kennett recently published a book on DNA, and also just responded in that thread.)

I know FTDNA has been attending the big WDYTYA event in London. Find My Past and its sister sites seem to be growing rapidly in the UK. Their parent company, brightsolid, had a large contingent at RootsTech last year, and their website mentions lots of other partnerships. I think it would be a good opportunity for growth, at least in the UK, and both companies are competing against Ancestry, in their respective market segments.

If you haven't heard anything, I'll suggest it.
                        I know FTDNA has some sort of relationship with a European DNA testing company called Igenea. I have a FF match who is Italian, and that is his email address. If you go to the Igenea site, you will see FTDNA tests like FF there. I am guessing that Igenea does the DNA analyses for many European customers. Unfortunately, my match there never replied to my email, but the company did and asked how I knew the individual........I explained and they said they would forward my email to my match. I have never heard anything since.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
                          I know FTDNA has some sort of relationship with a European DNA testing company called Igenea. I have a FF match who is Italian, and that is his email address. If you go to the Igenea site, you will see FTDNA tests like FF there. I am guessing that Igenea does the DNA analyses for many European customers. Unfortunately, my match there never replied to my email, but the company did and asked how I knew the individual........I explained and they said they would forward my email to my match. I have never heard anything since.

Judy
                          FTDNA has a few testing affiliates; besides iGENEA, there's African DNA, DNA Worldwide, DNA Ancestry & Family Origin, and of course, the Genographic Project. I was wondering about a partnership like the new one with Archives.com. It sounds like they're about to implement online trees, and DNA test results will somehow be attached to people in the tree. Ancestry already does this, albeit in a somewhat haphazard manner. I was just thinking that type of partnership with a European company providing online trees/databases could help spur more testing across the pond, i.e. more potential matches for us.

Comment

I think it is a good point that Family Tree DNA needs to continue to build connections with various genealogical societies. If the broader genealogical community knew what these tests, especially y-DNA & Family Finder, have to offer, most people in both Europe & the US who are serious about genealogy would have already gotten themselves tested.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I have not tried to join yet to see what records they have at Archives.com but I think the main advantage as to the partnership with FTDNA would/could be that people could upload their full trees at Archives.com (they provide that service) and their DNA results in relation to family members in the trees. Am thinking that could be a valuable way to exchange data and thinking that since the price for a subscription to Archives.com is 39 dollars a year (so just over 3 dollars a month), it would be an affordable add on service for many FTDNA members, just for that service.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                                FTDNA has a few testing affiliates; besides iGENEA, there's African DNA, DNA Worldwide, DNA Ancestry & Family Origin, and of course, the Genographic Project. I was wondering about a partnership like the new one with Archives.com. It sounds like they're about to implement online trees, and DNA test results will somehow be attached to people in the tree. Ancestry already does this, albeit in a somewhat haphazard manner. I was just thinking that type of partnership with a European company providing online trees/databases could help spur more testing across the pond, i.e. more potential matches for us.
                                I agree. Being 50% Italian with very few Italian FF matches right now, I would benefit from more people testing from "across the pond".

Judy

Comment

Working...
                                X