Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polynesian question

Hello,

This is my first time to this site and it looks great. I am Polynesian among other things however the polynesian part is what I am most concerned about. I have read Peter AhChings Theory as well as the Taiwanese and Melasian theories and both has its pros and cons. I dont think there are any solid evidence as to where Polynesians come from, but heres a few things that puzzle me.

Why do many polynesians have hair like Africans? Why do polynesians have wide features (such as lips, nose, etc)? And how can there even be a theory regarding South East Asia if Polynesians don't even look asian?

I have cousins that dont look even close to asian, and they are almost pure Hawaiian.

Also, I want to know how many percent of polynesian that I have. Which would be the best package?

Thanks a lot for reading

Polynesians speak an Austronesian language, which most likely started it's great journey on the island of Taiwan ~4,000 (the latest date). Through it's course, many local strains were picked up along the way. Polynesians are a mixture of Australo-Melanesians and the East Eurasians that started on Taiwan. This is the consensus that is being reached because the latest in Y-chromosome and mtDNA phylogeny made it possible to answer the question once and for all.
    Refer to here, for a synthesis and summary of all the latest studies:
    http://s6.invisionfree.com/orient/in...p?showtopic=87

Refer to here for the studies themselves:
    http://s6.invisionfree.com/orient/in...p?showtopic=51

Comment

Thank you so much! I have read parts of it and it sounds good! One thing though, when it speaks of the indigenous people that the polys are part of, does that include the Aetas (Negritos) of the phillipines and the surrounding asian countries? Also the Aetas are Mongoloids correct? Thanks a lot for this information its very helpful.

Comment

Negritos are not "Mongoloids" (though exactly what that term means is somewhat confusing now, since "Mongoloids" turns out to encompass many different Y and mtDNA haplogroups). These and other of the dark-complexioned peoples of the Southeast Asian islands, Melanesia, and Australia seem to be related to the early M haplogroup migrations out of Africa some 70,000 years ago. The National Geographic Genographic web site

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/g...hic/atlas.html

can take you to some interesting information that might help answer your questions. The traditional models for the Polynesian expansion were either the "slow boat" or the "express train" models but it seems both were correct to some extent. As the ancestors of the Polynesians made their way south from Southern China or Taiwan, they lived alongside and presumably intermingled to some extent with the Melanesians and other darker skinned groups. Also at the time they left Southeast Asia, your Polynesian ancestors would very possibly not have looked like the people who live there today and whom you think of as "Mongoloid." Many of the modern inhabitants of those areas arrived with recent migrations from the northern part of China and other areas.

If we have learned anything from all this, it is that modern physical appearance is not a very good guide to deciphering ancient migration routes.

Jeff Schweitzer

Comment

Thanks a lot dentate.

From several sites I read it said that the Aetas had some sort of mongoloid genes in them and that they werent from africa. I forgot where I read that. Apparently your link says other wise so I will take a look at it.

As for appearance and judging from that, you are right. If you checked out the research link provided by rudeboy, it says:

It turns out that although Captain Cook was right in spotting the cohesiveness of
          Polynesians from Hawaii to New Zealand, he was wrong about what he saw as their profound
          differences from Melanesians: The groups have a common genetic heritage, and their differences are
          only skin deep.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Peoples from the South pacific.

Hello,

I am an anthropologist and have studied melanesian migrations. We have to remember Africans are the forerunners of all peoples. Polynesian people have a Melanesian/African origin. Melanesian were the original Africanoid people to occupy Asia. As one Asian Anthropologist suggested. Polynesian are nothing more than a cross between Ancient Africans and Mongloid people simply put. My husband is Melanesian Fijian and can translate many word and name places around Tanzania east Africa. Many Mutations occured when these Africans left and situated themselves in other places. Hawaii even has a oral history of " big black men who originally came to settle their islands". In Fiji there is a strong oral history of a African chief who came from east African and populated Fiji. Many authorities try to confuse and dispute this but if it looks like a snake and crawl like a snake then sister it is a snake. Look at the Aborigines and if you ever saw the wooly haired Tasmanian blacks that were also Melanesian/Africans. They were almost completely destroyed by Europeans. Many Europeans do not like the fact that when they got to these remote places Africans were already there. A lot of confusion with Black/Africanoid people in Asia and the Pacific is due to Racism. In the Philipine the Aeta are the indigenous people and on the Adman islands of the coast of Indian they have Africans sitting right there. Their Haplotypes Mutated and they gave rise to other Asian populations. That's why they look so different but may share similar Haplogroups. We are all related and offshoots of each other. People just like to complicate matters. All of this is based on Racism and Denial of the truth.

Take care sister.

Comment

Originally posted by shoshone View Post
              Hello,

I am an anthropologist and have studied melanesian migrations. We have to remember Africans are the forerunners of all peoples. Polynesian people have a Melanesian/African origin. Melanesian were the original Africanoid people to occupy Asia. As one Asian Anthropologist suggested. Polynesian are nothing more than a cross between Ancient Africans and Mongloid people simply put.
              And anthropologists are not geneticists. DNA does make a point and proves how not so "recent" we come out of Africa, with the exception of aboriginies. But even we (Polynesians) aren't that closely related to them.

And the ancestors of Aboriginies who left Africa followed a coastal route along south Asia before settling in Australia.

But people forget that this is all DNA. What happens when there is isolation? There are so many factors that come into play. Genetic drift, natural selection, etc. All of these help change features of people to where they do not look like their ancestors who left a geographical area.

Comment

Working...
              X