X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javelin
    replied
    Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
    No, it would not cost less. At 23 and Me it costs 99 dollars + (9 dollars x 12 months minimum subscription) = 207 dollars. If one wants to upload to FTDNA there would be an additional 50 dollars cost, so 257 dollars for an autosomal test doing it that way
    And for those of us internationally, add courier costs for return mail:

23andme: $50-75
    Family Tree DNA: ~$15-20

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Originally posted by Geneadict View Post
    You seem to be missing one of the primary points. With $50 23andMe upload option, it will cost less to test with them and do the upload than it will to buy FF from FTDNA.
    Geneadict, I really mean it when I say you should try to contact FTDNA with your ideas as to pricing options. Please, just try it.

Linda

Leave a comment:

• Geneadict
    replied
    Actually, Geneadict, am not sure what your mission is here. Have you contacted Bennet Greenspan with your concerns or not?

I am wondering, and this is my own "analysis" and I may be totally off base, but could it be that you are worried that 23 and Me will no longer support all the tests you paid for there so you want to make sure 23 and Me stays afloat? Is that what all this is about?

Linda
    Yes, I've sent my commentary to Mr Greenspan and Mr Blankfeld. My expectations of anything coming from it are low.

And yes, you're way off base. I would actually like to purchase more FF tests, but they are simply priced too high. I would also like to purchase more Y111 upgrades, but they are also priced too high. Meanwhile, unless 23andMe makes a dramatic change in it's pricing and family plan discount, I have no concerns about their future and will continue to purchase more tests from them during their next sale. And even if they did eventually have a major change, I still have the raw data and already have more information than had I tested all on FF.

While I have a few V3s I might upload to FF, I have many more V2s that I would have considered uploading. Primary reason to upload are simply based on comparing to widest dataset possible, which means both. With vast majority of all matches being too distant to be of much value to anyone, best value of autosomal DNA tests come from comparison with close relatives and locating more recently related genetic cousins. Best way to do this is to fish in both ponds, simply increased odds of lucking out with regard to whom is in the database.

Does it make sense that a long time customer of FTDNA who has spent thousands of dollars purchasing tests over the last decade and responsible for a nearly equal amount of other customer purchases through recommendation should have to pay more for a FF test than it would cost them to test with their competitor and upload results to their system?

One of the best thing for all consumers is the presence of strong competition which helps to continue to pressure pricing and incent innovation and efficiency. The best thing for all hobbyist interested in the subject would be strength and growth across all the competitors.

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    You seem to be missing one of the primary points. With $50 23andMe upload option, it will cost less to test with them and do the upload than it will to buy FF from FTDNA.
    No, it would not cost less. At 23 and Me it costs 99 dollars + (9 dollars x 12 months minimum subscription) = 207 dollars. If one wants to upload to FTDNA there would be an additional 50 dollars cost, so 257 dollars for an autosomal test doing it that way, where one uploads to FTDNA. Current sale at FTDNA costs 199 dollars - total and final cost. I am talking about autosomal testing only and not tests that include Y- or Mt DNA - if you read my post.

Linda

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
    Buyers rarely get the price they want, and sellers rarely get the price they want. The middle ground is called 'doing business'. Take it or leave it.

With this thread, my Low Interest Warning Light is Flashing.
    Precisely, Mudgee

And even though it might seem I am an FTDNA "agent", I am not. FTDNA has to do their business, as the other competitors have to do. The best businesses survive based on customer satisfaction. There are often quirks here at FTDNA as to IT issues and so on but my experience is that FTDNA does have people one can contact with an issue and they do respond. My experience is that FTDNA does have the customer in focus. One thing that happens here sometimes is that customers do NOT use the contact function, but vent on the boards. Maybe customers are not used to getting a decent response from a company, but my experience at FTDNA is that one does, and yes, sometimes the reply from an FTDNA co-worker is not useful. But at FTDNA, one can, in that case or even in the same instance (i.e. cc the CEO), also go up to the CEO who will respond to one and it does not take days or weeks for a response.

Linda

Leave a comment:

• Geneadict
    replied
    f I could not afford to test at both places, I would chose FTDNA.

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Try reading them again with the "blinders" off. I make both complimentary and critical comments in these threads and others. I have no affiliation, other than as a customer who has spent allot of money with all the vendors mentioned, and offer more objective opinions than anyone taking the time to express them.
    Actually, Geneadict, am not sure what your mission is here. Have you contacted Bennet Greenspan with your concerns or not?

I am wondering, and this is my own "analysis" and I may be totally off base, but could it be that you are worried that 23 and Me will no longer support all the tests you paid for there so you want to make sure 23 and Me stays afloat? Is that what all this is about?

Linda

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    that's your perogative
    Yes, it is my prerogative. I have neither the time nor the inclination to read the same thing again and again. You might like to consider that some of the dialog around your opinions could well be more constructive and interesting if the posts were a little shorter and less repetetive. Just a thought before I leave.

Leave a comment:

• Peacock100
    replied
    Originally posted by shandy4473 View Post
    Thank You Elise and Linda!!! And by the way - 23andME is for medical and health. Their entire business model is patterned on that. In fact, the RIFT program for African-American families is evident of that. I can't tell you the number of health surveys I had to fill out for the free genetic testing program. (RIFT program)

FTDNA business model is patterned exclusively for genealogical purposes!!!

Apples vs Oranges!!!!!!
    Thank you, Shandy!

I appreciate your input in this debate.

I also see it as comparing Apples and Oranges. The companies have differing foci. FTDNA has always tried to stear clear of data that might refer to health aspects of DNA and that is why, for a long while, that full Mt-DNA results were not something people could share via FTDNA. 23and Me has, from the get go, emphasized the use of DNA as to health based issues. These separate emphases also likely explain why, at FTDNA, matches of a person, are automatically known to a person as to their e-mail address, and why at 23and Me, there is the awkward system that a person has an anonymous match they can try to contact, 5 matches a day, where they can remain on hold indefinitely, can be accepted as to contact or rejected (that system is better now that people can more easily opt in or out as to having a public profile, but still). 23 and Me has made some changes as to their public profile system so people have some chance of seeing if a person might have a shared family history, but still no gedcom option. So exactly, Apples and Oranges, as to comparing the 2 companies.

Do I regret also having tested at 23 and Me? No. I bought a full test at a sale price with no subscription requirement (since that sale I have not seen a sale at 23 and Me that was not a subscription sale, so no life time membership sales so far), to see what I could find there. I have not connected with as many people there as here, but I have made some contacts there, who I am glad to have met and who I might not have met otherwise. In a networking sense, am glad I am over at 23 and Me also. Again, just 2 different experiences, but for focus on genealogy and if I could not afford to test at both places, I would chose FTDNA.

Linda

Leave a comment:

• shandy4473
    replied
    How can you

How can you have an objective opinion?

Leave a comment:

• Geneadict
    replied
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
    No actually Paul that is not what you are doing.

You've written seven posts here just in this thread expressing your dissatisfaction and another eight on the FTDNA FB page since CeCe's post.

Try reading them again with the "blinders" off. I make both complimentary and critical comments in these threads and others. I have no affiliation, other than as a customer who has spent allot of money with all the vendors mentioned, and offer more objective opinions than anyone taking the time to express them.

Leave a comment:

• Geneadict
    replied
    Originally posted by LynCra View Post
    I agree with you Matt. He is also in DNA Forums. If I see another of these lengthy "dissertations" it will be a long time time before I bother to log onto any of these fora again.
    that's your perogative

Leave a comment:

• Geneadict
    replied
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post

To everyone else but yourself it is a turnoff.
    And now you speak for "everyone". Really?

Leave a comment:

• Mudgeeclarke
    replied
    ... etc ...
    First, this and other forums is a place to ask/answer questions, tell stories, and express opinions, so that's what I'm doing. ...etc ...
    Buyers rarely get the price they want, and sellers rarely get the price they want. The middle ground is called 'doing business'. Take it or leave it.

With this thread, my Low Interest Warning Light is Flashing.

Leave a comment:

• LynCra
    replied
    Sorry, posted to the wrong thread. Just ignore this. Could not delete it.
    Last edited by LynCra; 16 November 2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: Trying to delete post as it ended up in the wrong place

Leave a comment:

Working...
X