Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am having problems with uploading my gencom and I am having another problem too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am having problems with uploading my gencom and I am having another problem too!

Hi Everybody! My name is Thea and it is very nice to meet you guys! How are you guys? Can you guys PLEASE help me please because I am having a problem with uploading a gencom and another problem with my chromosome finder. Everytime when I try upload a gencom from ancestry.com/my computer and click upload it doesn't show that it is actually uploading or doing anything like it should be. When I went to see my chromosome finder today the page would appear but, the actual chromosomes wouldn't appear or show up like they did last night. Is happening to me or to everybody and what can I do to fix these problems? THANKS SO MUCH! Have a nice day! Bye!

The chromosome browser is not working with Internet Explorer for the moment. Did you download your Ancestry.com gedcom to your computur before trying to upload to FTDNA? I do not think it can be done directly from Ancestry to FTDNA.

Comment

When you download your GEDcom from Ancestry, you first have to click on EXPORT Tree (under Manage Tree), when the export is ready to download a "Download your GEDcom file" button will appear. Click it and it looks like it's not doing anything but the file will download. Check your Downloads folder (Windows). If you can't find it do a search for a file with the extension ".ged"

Comment

Thanks! But, I am still have a problem with uploading my gencom!

Thanks for telling me that I wasn't the only experiencing that problem!
        I meant I tried to upload my gencom from my computer files that I downloaded from Ancestry.com to this website but, as soon as I clicked upload it didn't appeared to be doing anything or to be uploading anything like it should be. Plus, I am doing everything correctly and follow the directions on how to upload a gencom. Do you guys have anymore helpful advice to maybe fix this problem? Thanks!

Comment

Are you sure that the export from ancestry worked correctly? There is a risk that if you do not follow the instructions correctly that it downloads a text file rather than a gedcom. Since you keep referring to gencom I am wonedering if you have produced the correct file for the subsequent upload. Does your downloaded file have the extension ged ?

Comment

Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
            When you download your GEDcom from Ancestry, you first have to click on EXPORT Tree (under Manage Tree), when the export is ready to download a "Download your GEDcom file" button will appear. Click it and it looks like it's not doing anything but the file will download. Check your Downloads folder (Windows). If you can't find it do a search for a file with the extension ".ged"
            Adding to what Gaye said - when you get to the step at Ancestry to download the gedcom, right click and click "save as" and provide the gedcom with the name you want for it, and store it in your computer, in a folder where you can re-locate it.

At FTDNA when you upload, use the search file function and locate your gedcom and upload it.

Comment

Thanks so much for helping me solve my problem! Yay!

Thanks guys! I finally downloaded my gedcom! Yay! Thanks so much guys for the really helpful advice! You guys are lifesavers! Thanks again! Peace! Bye!

Comment

Working...
              X