• Show
Clear All

• Doldrums

Day after day, day after day,
    We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
    As idle as a painted ship
    Upon a painted ocean.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    I've been caught in the doldrums before, doing paper research, during my 30+ years of it. But I could always heave on the rudder and head off in a different direction, another name, another family. I could always find a gentle zephyr, and sometimes it became a strong wind in the right direction.

But now, after a couple of quick puffs of wind from the first DNA 'matches', the boring calm has returned to my little bit of ocean. In fact, what I see now are mirages ... non-returns to emails, gedcoms that are apparently plucked from the air and bear no substance, and distant matches so far over the horizon that I would be better served to visit a museum and look at the cast of the jawbone of Australopithecus afarensis.

I know that I am not alone in this 'painted ocean' - especially when I view the thoughts and frustrations from some others at this Forum. (Of course, I also 'hear' the cheers for strong winds that have arrived for some, and imagine the shouts of 'land ahoy' - and I smile for those lucky sailors.)

But we of the 'NPE tribe' - when the DNA steering course is blurred and the rudder hangs lifeless in the calm - well, we must wait on on the SS 'DNA' for signs of cloud at the horizon and a faint tremor of breeze on our glassy sea.

For now, though, I will jump ship and once again dive into the boundless paper history, where I have more immediate control over my destiny. Meanwhile, I'll clutch my DNA passage ticket, hoping that somewhere, some day, my ship will come in.

Aaahh, I feel better already.

Originally posted by Mudgeeclarke View Post
    I've been caught in the doldrums before, doing paper research, during my 30+ years of it. But I could always heave on the rudder and head off in a different direction, another name, another family. I could always find a gentle zephyr, and sometimes it became a strong wind in the right direction.

But now, after a couple of quick puffs of wind from the first DNA 'matches', the boring calm has returned to my little bit of ocean. In fact, what I see now are mirages ... non-returns to emails, gedcoms that are apparently plucked from the air and bear no substance, and distant matches so far over the horizon that I would be better served to visit a museum and look at the cast of the jawbone of Australopithecus afarensis.

I know that I am not alone in this 'painted ocean' - especially when I view the thoughts and frustrations from some others at this Forum. (Of course, I also 'hear' the cheers for strong winds that have arrived for some, and imagine the shouts of 'land ahoy' - and I smile for those lucky sailors.)

But we of the 'NPE tribe' - when the DNA steering course is blurred and the rudder hangs lifeless in the calm - well, we must wait on on the SS 'DNA' for signs of cloud at the horizon and a faint tremor of breeze on our glassy sea.

For now, though, I will jump ship and once again dive into the boundless paper history, where I have more immediate control over my destiny. Meanwhile, I'll clutch my DNA passage ticket, hoping that somewhere, some day, my ship will come in.

Aaahh, I feel better already.
    Colin,

You worded that beautifully! As an adoptee, I can appreciate what you wrote very well.

Let's both hope for a friendly mermaid.

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
      Colin,

You worded that beautifully! As an adoptee, I can appreciate what you wrote very well.

Let's both hope for a friendly mermaid.

Judy

Thanks, Judy. I didn't want to mention Moby Dick, or Jonah, or anything about Albatrosses ... LOL

Comment

... In fact, what I see now are mirages ... non-returns to emails, gedcoms that are apparently plucked from the air and bear no substance, and distant matches so far over the horizon that I would be better served to visit a museum and look at the cast of the jawbone of Australopithecus afarensis. ....
        After mumbling about lack of email replies and contact with matches, I did the 'Triangulation Relationship' analysis at Gedmatch. My common matches are generally out at GD 5+ or higher. At least I see the Kit numbers there, for further review.

Amazingly, my closest match, at a promising 4.2, has a kit number of "???". Hilarious !! Me, an NPE searcher who GGGF was [blank] finds a close(ish) match whose kit number is "???".

My Dad use to say "If I didn't have bad luck today, I'd have had no luck at all...".

Sometimes, "ya just gotta laugh".

Comment

After mumbling about lack of email replies and contact with matches, I did the 'Triangulation Relationship' analysis at Gedmatch. My common matches are generally out at GD 5+ or higher. At least I see the Kit numbers there, for further review.

Amazingly, my closest match, at a promising 4.2, has a kit number of "???". Hilarious !! Me, an NPE searcher who GGGF was [blank] finds a close(ish) match whose kit number is "???".

My Dad use to say "If I didn't have bad luck today, I'd have had no luck at all...".

Sometimes, "ya just gotta laugh".
          Mudgeeclarke, I believe when you see a "???", it means that the person has not uploaded their raw data to Gedmatch. Also, I believe that if there is not a minimum of three people matching a person (maybe it is two), they wont show up on Gedmatch as you need three to triangulate. I only have about half of my 46 FF matches showing up on Gedmatch. I don't think any of my FF matches received in the past several months have shown up on Gedmatch. Actually, that is sort of strange.....?

Anyone reading, should I upload my raw data again?

Judy

Comment

Anyone reading, should I upload my raw data again?

Judy
            Only your chromosome browser uploaded data has to be re-done, not your raw data unless you only uploaded it within a month of the initial Affy conversion and never did again. Any raw data uploaded in the last seven months should be good.
            Last edited by mkdexter; 9 November 2011, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Hmmm... I'm not sure when I uploaded it, but in all likelihood i would have uploaded it as soon as getting the new Illumina results. Remind me, Matt, what was the issue in that first month?

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
              Only your chromosome browser uploaded data has to be re-done, not your raw data unless you only uploaded it within a month of the initial Affy conversion and never did again. Any raw data uploaded in the last seven months should be good.

Comment

Mudgeeclarke, I believe when you see a "???", it means that the person has not uploaded their raw data to Gedmatch. Also, I believe that if there is not a minimum of three people matching a person (maybe it is two), they wont show up on Gedmatch as you need three to triangulate....
                Judy
                Hi Judy:

Hmmm. Can't say. But it seems to me that the triangulation process would not include a result for a person if there was no raw data. Could be ... I'm a novice at such matters. BTW, there were plenty of others showing results of course, and all had kit numbers except the one. For some, who matched [???] at 6 or 7, it wouldn't be a big deal. For me, being my closest match, it was a trifle disappointing.

But, hey ! There's always tomorrow.
                Last edited by Mudgeeclarke; 9 November 2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I can relate to all of these comments.

I have been waiting for an "eternity" for Y67 results, came yesterday, I was so excited, sad or what, downloaded manually on Ancestry and one of my close matches went from a 2-7?!!!!! ZERO close matches on YSearch?! only had one last time, they did not reply.....on the positive side though, have two very close matches that showed up AGAIN that were on 25, 37, and now the 67 marker, I would like so stay on a positive note but they are different names. As you so rightly say though, every day is a new one, and we have to stay DNA positive.

Comment

Originally posted by dello View Post
                    ... have two very close matches that showed up AGAIN that were on 25, 37, and now the 67 marker, I would like so stay on a positive note but they are different names. As you so rightly say though, every day is a new one, and we have to stay DNA positive.
                    To me, you are in good shape ! Two close matches that have 'followed you' from 25>37>67. Ignore for the moment that they are different surnames. FTDNA would be called FTSNM (Surname Matching) if you had to match names ...

Once I got deeply into my paper research I was amazed by the amount of name changing, aliases, misspellings, sloppy Parish Registry work etc. Not to mention the infernal NPEs !! I am often reminded of the story of the British General who (allegedly) had a message passed to the rear echelons through quite a few subordinates : his message - 'Send reinforcements, we're going to advance'. When the last man in that long line of message takers arrived at Rear HQ, his message: "Send 3 shillings and fourpence, we're going to a dance." Funny stuff happens with names, too.

Good luck with your attempts at emails ...

Comment

Doldrums

Colin , You are an absolute tonic, you have brightened up my day, as I am sure you have with everyone on this forum. Thank you so much. Julie Dello

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                        Hmmmm.....I am not sure how soon after the conversion I uploaded. Guess I should try again. Will re-do chromosome browser also. Thanks!

Judy

Comment

Originally posted by dello View Post
                          Colin , You are an absolute tonic, you have brightened up my day, as I am sure you have with everyone on this forum. Thank you so much. Julie Dello
                          Julie,

I second that! Reading Colin's posts make me smile

Colin, did the doldrums end for you? I just received 3 new FF matches and I am not one of those with a whole pile of matches. I am at 49 now. I hope a puff of wind also went your way.

Judy

Comment

Julie,

I second that! Reading Colin's posts make me smile

Colin, did the doldrums end for you? I just received 3 new FF matches and I am not one of those with a whole pile of matches. I am at 49 now. I hope a puff of wind also went your way.

Judy

OK, Julie and Judy, now I'm blushing ...

Ummm, no new puffs of wind yet. Not even a slightest zephyr.

The first and only notice when the FF results arrived produced 4 matches at 4th cousin or so, (in the 61 names) but apparently none of the 4 went to school, and so cannot write a return note. So at the moment, my best match is [blank] followed by [???]

However, I did get one welcome and unexpected note from someone not in the famous foursome, and we 'think' that back at maybe 6 or 7 GD, there is a match, but the detail is 'to be determined'. At that GD, however, that particular 'cousin' was probably just living in another tree in the same forest. I was delighted to get the nice email, though.

Onwards and upwards ...

Comment

Another Mudgeeclarke fan here.

Colin - I am sooo disappointed that you did not show up as a match for me.

And then you had to quote my favorite poem....

Sigh.

Gaye

Comment

Working...
                              X