Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky bits in our dna

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sticky bits in our dna

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagten
    I don't know how to interpret this. I have two 4th cousin (3rd-5th) matches. Our paper trails show our ancestors living within a few miles, ofter in the same villages and hamlets. Using the chromosome browser I compared them. They matched on only one 500+ segment. Start-stop points and cm counts were identical. Presumably I share the same segment. Is it signal or noise?
    I welcome your comments.

    Since my initial post I have found 6 more of my less confident matches who share the sticky bit.
    I'm interested to know if others have found sticky bits of dna.
    I'd like to give you the co-ordinates of my bit but chromosome browser doesn't seem to be working right now. Sigh.

  • #2
    Any matches in FF have been determined cousins by FTDNA.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just to clarify, all were FF matches. By less confident I meant the 4th and 5th to distant matches.

      Comment


      • #4
        On 23andMe I share the same/overlapping segments (in lengths between 5cM and 44cM) on Ch 2 with over 70 people. Odd things happen.

        Originally posted by nagten View Post
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by nagten
        I don't know how to interpret this. I have two 4th cousin (3rd-5th) matches. Our paper trails show our ancestors living within a few miles, ofter in the same villages and hamlets. Using the chromosome browser I compared them. They matched on only one 500+ segment. Start-stop points and cm counts were identical. Presumably I share the same segment. Is it signal or noise?
        I welcome your comments.

        Since my initial post I have found 6 more of my less confident matches who share the sticky bit.
        I'm interested to know if others have found sticky bits of dna.
        I'd like to give you the co-ordinates of my bit but chromosome browser doesn't seem to be working right now. Sigh.

        Comment


        • #5
          real relatives or false positives?

          Originally posted by dwight View Post
          On 23andMe I share the same/overlapping segments (in lengths between 5cM and 44cM) on Ch 2 with over 70 people. Odd things happen.
          I'm wondering about the fact that 7 of my 25 matches have long blocks in common with me at chr.22. They range from 8,11 cM to 11,91 cM (there is also a shorter one of 4,29 cM). Two of these relatives also share smaller segments with me at chr.10 (where BTW I also find 5 additional ones with the same small segment== And of these additional ones there are 3 who share long blocks elsewhere). But coming back to the chr.22 affinities. What I find odd is that these matches are of very diverse background: I'm especially intrigued by the Turkish one who also shares at chr. 10 (he's one of the two).

          My paper trail doesn't go back beyond the early 19th c. and there is no discernible room for some of these relatives. So are my Turkish, English, and Portuguese matches illusions? They seem to meet the desiderata of FF. Could they be much more ancient contacts? Would such large chunks survive for 500+ years?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by irenych View Post
            I'm wondering about the fact that 7 of my 25 matches have long blocks in common with me at chr.22. They range from 8,11 cM to 11,91 cM (there is also a shorter one of 4,29 cM). Two of these relatives also share smaller segments with me at chr.10 (where BTW I also find 5 additional ones with the same small segment== And of these additional ones there are 3 who share long blocks elsewhere). But coming back to the chr.22 affinities. What I find odd is that these matches are of very diverse background: I'm especially intrigued by the Turkish one who also shares at chr. 10 (he's one of the two).

            My paper trail doesn't go back beyond the early 19th c. and there is no discernible room for some of these relatives. So are my Turkish, English, and Portuguese matches illusions? They seem to meet the desiderata of FF. Could they be much more ancient contacts? Would such large chunks survive for 500+ years?
            Never mind. I'll figure this out.

            Comment

            Working...
            X