Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Origin

Hi,
    My DNA just came back and I am R1b Unknown Origin?? What does this mean? Also what is the print test and how can I get it?
    Thanks,
    Anthony

Anthony,
    I think the "unknown origin" you are referring to is from the "Recent Ethnic Origins" tab/page. If so, that would not be you but someone you match.
    R1b is the most common Y-chromosome haplogroup in western Europe. R1b probably wintered over the last ice-age in the Iberian penisula (currently Spain) and repopulated Europe after it's grip on the continent was over. There are several good books on this. "The Journey of Man" by Spencer Wells and "The Real Eve" by Stephen Oppenheimer are two good choices to read.
    As for the print test, if you are referring to the DNA Print test I suggest you type "DNA Print" in the search feature on this message board and read. Lots has been said about it (mostly bad) and I personally DO NOT recommend it as it tells you nothing firm. Your money can be better sent on the books I mentioned or the mtDNA test.
    Donald F Potter Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by A.Lock
      Hi,
      My DNA just came back and I am R1b Unknown Origin?? What does this mean? Also what is the print test and how can I get it?
      Thanks,
      Anthony

tony if you go to your personal page you ll see a place for oldest ancestor and a location if thats blank you are unknown
      if you think they came from ireland put ireland if you think they cane from ayr in scotland put that more info the better
      then we will know who you are

Comment

Unkown Origins

Hello List; Are you are looking for specific cousins & have documentation re surnames , or are you just curious re your ethnic origins .? If it is the former ,then you could upgrade to 25-37 markers on your Y-chrom test. If you would like ,as well,an idea of your majority ethnicity & possibly minority ethnicity , I still think DNA Print is proving to be a valuable tool.I took the EURO-DNA 1.0 test , & had 50 % Northern European , 35 % Southern European , & two other smaller percentages. I dont think 35 & 50 % results are the results of " noise " or "error ". The smaller percentages may be. KAT.

Comment

Originally posted by kat
          Hello List; Are you are looking for specific cousins & have documentation re surnames , or are you just curious re your ethnic origins .? If it is the former ,then you could upgrade to 25-37 markers on your Y-chrom test. If you would like ,as well,an idea of your majority ethnicity & possibly minority ethnicity , I still think DNA Print is proving to be a valuable tool.I took the EURO-DNA 1.0 test , & had 50 % Northern European , 35 % Southern European , & two other smaller percentages. I dont think 35 & 50 % results are the results of " noise " or "error ". The smaller percentages may be. KAT.

kat just remember it isnt always part of the 37 or 25 % groups sometimes it is the 2% ers that prove correct

Comment

Kat,
            Do they define "northern european" or southern european" ? The reason I ask is that a SNP test DEFINITELY places you in a certain haplogroup. For the sake of conversation the Y-chromosome haplogroup I is considered to be related to Scandinavia. However, haplogroup I is very common in Sardinia. Would that make you northern or southern european ? Also the DNA Print test the autosomal chromosomes and not the sex chromosomes. The problem with this is the sex chromosomes rarely change/mutate and the autosomal one get reshuffled with each person/birth. A 10 sibling family will have 10 different results. As you can see it would take many generations for the test results to not even be similar between close relatives.
            Don Potter Jr.

Comment

Working...
            X