X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dello
    replied
    23 and Me

Please can you tell me what 23 and me involves, I am very new, am in a delemma at the moment, cannot find anything written anywhere regarding this particular test. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied
    Hopefully you will be able to take advantage of the upload option when it comes out.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
    Yes uploading to FTDNA will be offered soon.

There will always be an advantage to starting first with FTDNA of course.
    I would agree with that if it were not for one exception: cost. Had FtDNA offered the same platform say FF+MtDNA for $99 I would have opted for them. I have had a variety of DNA tests run with different companies, and FtDNA is the most coherent. I think the testing platforms for many, are cost prohibitive.

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied
    Yes uploading to FTDNA will be offered soon.

There will always be an advantage to starting first with FTDNA of course.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Three years from now after you've paid over $324 more than the $99 then its not such a good deal compared to $189.00.. Its not a savings of $90.00, its a lose of much more.
    That's if you plan on staying with them for three years, for which I do not. One will be able to upload their results to FtDNA for $50 in the coming months. It's still a good value (perhaps even a better one now.)

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    "They charged me 12 months up front, with no option to pay monthly. I'm going to let it expire in a month or so when it runs out, since few of the matches there (< 10%) ever responded. By then, the FF import should be available, and my dad's data will be in a useful database."

Wow! That's not the current practice as of the time of my order, but I could understand where that would put someone off.

"It's basically the equivalent of FF, plus a few hundred SNPs tested to determine your paternal and maternal haplogroups. They test no STRs at all, and enough SNPs to determine your subclade according to outdated Y-DNA and mtDNA phylogenetic trees. If you want Y-DNA or mtDNA matches, you'd need to purchase traditional tests for those, in addition to an autosomal test."

Since I have not ordered FF yet, or MtDNA, this presents a good value for me. I have pretty much exhausted my Y DNA endeavors for my purposes at this point.

"Although FTDNA strips some medically relevant SNPs from the FF raw data, there's still plenty left in there. You can use your FF data with Promethease (free software) to get much of the same information as 23andMe gives you."

Or, get a great value as I have, and let someone else do the work!

Leave a comment:

• Cats
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevo View Post
    I have considered everything. The match I referred to does not match any others with his surname. I match a number of folks with my surname, including a second cousin once removed (my y-dna great-great-grandfather, born in 1835, is our most recent common ancestor).

That 65/67 match with a different surname was born and raised in England, and his family, as far as he knows, has always lived in the West Midlands of England.

My y-dna line has been in North America since at least 1804, when my ggg-grandfather was born in Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then).

But there are a lot of folks with my surname in the West Midlands.

Any veterans in your male line?

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    Originally posted by Zaru View Post
    That's incorrect Nathan. It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service. For myself it is a wonderful value.
    They charged me 12 months up front, with no option to pay monthly. I'm going to let it expire in a month or so when it runs out, since few of the matches there (< 10%) ever responded. By then, the FF import should be available, and my dad's data will be in a useful database.

Why would anyone who has already tested all of those items that you stated even consider it? For those of us who have not, it really is an excellent value.
    It's basically the equivalent of FF, plus a few hundred SNPs tested to determine your paternal and maternal haplogroups. They test no STRs at all, and enough SNPs to determine your subclade according to outdated Y-DNA and mtDNA phylogenetic trees. If you want Y-DNA or mtDNA matches, you'd need to purchase traditional tests for those, in addition to an autosomal test.

Not to mention, the medical indicators have me curious- regardless of how good of a predictor it is, the thought of the possibilities in the future are exciting.
    Although FTDNA strips some medically relevant SNPs from the FF raw data, there's still plenty left in there. You can use your FF data with Promethease (free software) to get much of the same information as 23andMe gives you.

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied
    It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service.
    Three years from now after you've paid over $324 more than the $99 then its not such a good deal compared to $189.00.. Its not a savings of $90.00, its a lose of much more.
    Last edited by mkdexter; 8 November 2011, 11:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Originally posted by nathanm View Post
    You have to pay for one year up front, and I've never heard of anyone getting out early. As far as the value's concerned, it costs more than the FF sale price. If someone already has Y-DNA, mtDNA, and FF, I don't see the value at all. They may have a larger database, but far fewer matches ever respond.
    That's incorrect Nathan. It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service. For myself it is a wonderful value. Why would anyone who has already tested all of those items that you stated even consider it? For those of us who have not, it really is an excellent value.

Not to mention, the medical indicators have me curious- regardless of how good of a predictor it is, the thought of the possibilities in the future are exciting.

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    The cost for the testing is $99. The overall cost including the $9 per month fee is $207. There is a one year requirement. After that you are free to back out of the commitment, and I think that you might be free to do so prior to, but as Jim said, they'll prevent you from seeing your new matches.

It's still an excellent value.
    You have to pay for one year up front, and I've never heard of anyone getting out early. As far as the value's concerned, it costs more than the FF sale price. If someone already has Y-DNA, mtDNA, and FF, I don't see the value at all. They may have a larger database, but far fewer matches ever respond.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    The price is not $99. It is $207. The fine print clearly says (in small letters of course) that the special price requires a 12 month $9 per month subscription otherwise it's $399 no commitment.

1 year = $207
    2 years = $315
    3 years = $423
    The cost for the testing is $99. The overall cost including the $9 per month fee is $207. There is a one year requirement. After that you are free to back out of the commitment, and I think that you might be free to do so prior to, but as Jim said, they'll prevent you from seeing your new matches.

It's still an excellent value.

Leave a comment:

• Zaru
    replied
    Originally posted by dwight View Post
    But 23andMe doesn't do y-DNA STR testing - you'll get a haplogroup estimate based on SNPs, but that's all.
    I'm not doing it for that, I am already a member here!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    The price is not $99. It is $207. The fine print clearly says (in small letters of course) that the special price requires a 12 month $9 per month subscription otherwise it's $399 no commitment.
    AND if you stop paying the subscription fee, even after 12 months, they stop telling you about new matches.

Leave a comment:

• mkdexter
    replied

1 year = $207
    2 years = $315
    3 years = $423

Leave a comment:

Working...
X