Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by migoblu View Post
    I'm trying find Projects for matches in the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database.

    Do these One Step Mutations under the 12 Marker Y-DNA Matches mean that I.m related to these matches? If yes, how to I find these matches in the FTDNA Projects? Thanks for any help.
    I believe you need to match on many more markers before you get excited about a match. Many exact 12 marker matches will disappear when they go to 25 or 37 markers.

    If you have elected to compare against the entire database and your match has also agreed to compare against the entire database they'll show up in your Y-DNA matches. Both of you must have also selected to see 12 marker matches for them to show up in your Y-DNA matches.

    A person doesn't have to be in a project. If the match isn't in one you won't find him in one.

    Have you tried contacting FTNDA and asking them to help you contact the match?

    Comment


    • #17
      Exactly! and to add...

      Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
      I believe you need to match on many more markers before you get excited about a match. Many exact 12 marker matches will disappear when they go to 25 or 37 markers.

      If you have elected to compare against the entire database and your match has also agreed to compare against the entire database they'll show up in your Y-DNA matches. Both of you must have also selected to see 12 marker matches for them to show up in your Y-DNA matches.

      A person doesn't have to be in a project. If the match isn't in one you won't find him in one.

      Have you tried contacting FTNDA and asking them to help you contact the match?
      This is what frustrates me the most about FTDNA's system. We have "RAO Matches", "My Matches", "FF Matches", "Project Matches", and they are very difficult to triangulate. For my Y Line I have never had one significant match, so like many, this is a painstaking operation.

      I have a 24/25 match for my paternal grandfather's line, who was black (which currently is quite under represented in the database) and the match will not respond to my emails! He is a partner in a law firm, I found that out after "researching" him, and for all intents and purposes, he is still employed and had the same email address. That is quite frustrating....

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        I believe you need to match on many more markers before you get excited about a match. Many exact 12 marker matches will disappear when they go to 25 or 37 markers.

        If you have elected to compare against the entire database and your match has also agreed to compare against the entire database they'll show up in your Y-DNA matches. Both of you must have also selected to see 12 marker matches for them to show up in your Y-DNA matches.

        A person doesn't have to be in a project. If the match isn't in one you won't find him in one.

        Have you tried contacting FTNDA and asking them to help you contact the match?
        Yes, contacted FTDNA and they gave me an email address for the 12 and 25 exact marker that I matched. I have emailed them and they have replied, but I'm still waiting for a second reply from them.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Zaru View Post
          This is what frustrates me the most about FTDNA's system. We have "RAO Matches", "My Matches", "FF Matches", "Project Matches", and they are very difficult to triangulate.
          You may like the changes that are on the way. Maybe within a month or two.

          Originally posted by Zaru View Post
          For my Y Line I have never had one significant match, so like many, this is a painstaking operation.
          I have a project member tested to Y-DNA67. NO matches listed anywhere at any level. This is the fault of us the customer, not the fault of FTDNA. We need to encourage people from the right areas to order kits.

          Comment


          • #20
            "You may like the changes that are on the way. Maybe within a month or two."

            Bennet had alluded to something good that is down the pike, so if it's good for us then great!


            "I have a project member tested to Y-DNA67. NO matches listed anywhere at any level. This is the fault of us the customer, not the fault of FTDNA. We need to encourage people from the right areas to order kits.[/QUOTE]

            I never said the FTDNA was at fault for that. No one is, it's the risk that is involved. With that said, now that I am going to test with 23andMe, perhaps something will come up there. The price point is a terrific value at $99.

            Comment


            • #21
              But 23andMe doesn't do y-DNA STR testing - you'll get a haplogroup estimate based on SNPs, but that's all.

              Originally posted by Zaru View Post
              now that I am going to test with 23andMe, perhaps something will come up there. The price point is a terrific value at $99.

              Comment


              • #22
                The price is not $99. It is $207. The fine print clearly says (in small letters of course) that the special price requires a 12 month $9 per month subscription otherwise it's $399 no commitment.

                1 year = $207
                2 years = $315
                3 years = $423

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                  The price is not $99. It is $207. The fine print clearly says (in small letters of course) that the special price requires a 12 month $9 per month subscription otherwise it's $399 no commitment.
                  AND if you stop paying the subscription fee, even after 12 months, they stop telling you about new matches.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dwight View Post
                    But 23andMe doesn't do y-DNA STR testing - you'll get a haplogroup estimate based on SNPs, but that's all.
                    I'm not doing it for that, I am already a member here!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
                      The price is not $99. It is $207. The fine print clearly says (in small letters of course) that the special price requires a 12 month $9 per month subscription otherwise it's $399 no commitment.

                      1 year = $207
                      2 years = $315
                      3 years = $423
                      The cost for the testing is $99. The overall cost including the $9 per month fee is $207. There is a one year requirement. After that you are free to back out of the commitment, and I think that you might be free to do so prior to, but as Jim said, they'll prevent you from seeing your new matches.

                      It's still an excellent value.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                        The cost for the testing is $99. The overall cost including the $9 per month fee is $207. There is a one year requirement. After that you are free to back out of the commitment, and I think that you might be free to do so prior to, but as Jim said, they'll prevent you from seeing your new matches.

                        It's still an excellent value.
                        You have to pay for one year up front, and I've never heard of anyone getting out early. As far as the value's concerned, it costs more than the FF sale price. If someone already has Y-DNA, mtDNA, and FF, I don't see the value at all. They may have a larger database, but far fewer matches ever respond.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                          You have to pay for one year up front, and I've never heard of anyone getting out early. As far as the value's concerned, it costs more than the FF sale price. If someone already has Y-DNA, mtDNA, and FF, I don't see the value at all. They may have a larger database, but far fewer matches ever respond.
                          That's incorrect Nathan. It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service. For myself it is a wonderful value. Why would anyone who has already tested all of those items that you stated even consider it? For those of us who have not, it really is an excellent value.

                          Not to mention, the medical indicators have me curious- regardless of how good of a predictor it is, the thought of the possibilities in the future are exciting.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                            It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service.
                            Three years from now after you've paid over $324 more than the $99 then its not such a good deal compared to $189.00.. Its not a savings of $90.00, its a lose of much more.
                            Last edited by mkdexter; 8 November 2011, 11:52 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                              That's incorrect Nathan. It is a monthly fee, payable each month on the credit card that you used to pay for the service. For myself it is a wonderful value.
                              They charged me 12 months up front, with no option to pay monthly. I'm going to let it expire in a month or so when it runs out, since few of the matches there (< 10%) ever responded. By then, the FF import should be available, and my dad's data will be in a useful database.

                              Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                              Why would anyone who has already tested all of those items that you stated even consider it? For those of us who have not, it really is an excellent value.
                              It's basically the equivalent of FF, plus a few hundred SNPs tested to determine your paternal and maternal haplogroups. They test no STRs at all, and enough SNPs to determine your subclade according to outdated Y-DNA and mtDNA phylogenetic trees. If you want Y-DNA or mtDNA matches, you'd need to purchase traditional tests for those, in addition to an autosomal test.

                              Originally posted by Zaru View Post
                              Not to mention, the medical indicators have me curious- regardless of how good of a predictor it is, the thought of the possibilities in the future are exciting.
                              Although FTDNA strips some medically relevant SNPs from the FF raw data, there's still plenty left in there. You can use your FF data with Promethease (free software) to get much of the same information as 23andMe gives you.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                                I have considered everything. The match I referred to does not match any others with his surname. I match a number of folks with my surname, including a second cousin once removed (my y-dna great-great-grandfather, born in 1835, is our most recent common ancestor).

                                That 65/67 match with a different surname was born and raised in England, and his family, as far as he knows, has always lived in the West Midlands of England.

                                My y-dna line has been in North America since at least 1804, when my ggg-grandfather was born in Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then).

                                But there are a lot of folks with my surname in the West Midlands.

                                Any veterans in your male line?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X