RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database

On the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database, it shows an exact match for my DNA at the 12 and 25 marker levels for an individual in the United Kingdom. How do I find this individual in the FTDNA database of Projects? According to a message for FTDNA, when I asked this question, they replied that I could search the Projects to find that match and the other 1, 2 & 3 Step Mutations matches, and a possible contact. I have been trying to find these matches in the Projects, but it seems impossible. I

Originally posted by migoblu View Post
    On the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database, it shows an exact match for my DNA at the 12 and 25 marker levels for an individual in the United Kingdom. How do I find this individual in the FTDNA database of Projects? According to a message for FTDNA, when I asked this question, they replied that I could search the Projects to find that match and the other 1, 2 & 3 Step Mutations matches, and a possible contact. I have been trying to find these matches in the Projects, but it seems impossible. I
    Have you checked Ysearch yet? If they've uploaded their haplotype there, you'll be able to see it whether it's in a project or not.

Comment

I have a 65/67 match with a man born in England that started out as an exact 25-marker match in Ancestral Origins. The man did not show up on my Y-DNA Matches page because he has his own preferences set to show only matches in his own surname project.

I wrote FTDNA and asked them to forward an email to him. If he responded, great, if not, I was no worse off. FTDNA forwarded my email to him, and he answered it. I paid for his upgrade first to 37 markers and then to 67 markers.

The match is still something of a mystery to me, since he and I do not share the same surname, and I cannot find where our ancestors crossed paths.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
        Have you checked Ysearch yet? If they've uploaded their haplotype there, you'll be able to see it whether it's in a project or not.
        I'll give yseach a look. I know I match a cousin there, maybe I'll find another match.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
          I have a 65/67 match with a man born in England that started out as an exact 25-marker match in Ancestral Origins. The man did not show up on my Y-DNA Matches page because he has his own preferences set to show only matches in his own surname project.

I wrote FTDNA and asked them to forward an email to him. If he responded, great, if not, I was no worse off. FTDNA forwarded my email to him, and he answered it. I paid for his upgrade first to 37 markers and then to 67 markers.

The match is still something of a mystery to me, since he and I do not share the same surname, and I cannot find where our ancestors crossed paths.
          I'll try and send FTDNA an email. Maybe I can find the match and they can give me a name and I can search for their immigration records.

Comment

Stevo,
            This is interesting. Assuming you are from the USA, when did your earliest direct male ancestor migrate to the USA?
            Linda

Comment

Have you considered a NPE or undisclosed adoption on either of your sides. I know others look at other factors, but as an adoptee, I tend to drift towards looking at adoption or NPE.

As many will attest to, a lot of adoptions are still being kept secret. Those are hard, but not impossible to uncover.

To a degree I was lucky as I knew of my adoption from the time I was about 4 or 5 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by JPHutchins View Post
                Have you considered a NPE or undisclosed adoption on either of your sides. I know others look at other factors, but as an adoptee, I tend to drift towards looking at adoption or NPE.

As many will attest to, a lot of adoptions are still being kept secret. Those are hard, but not impossible to uncover.

To a degree I was lucky as I knew of my adoption from the time I was about 4 or 5 years old.
                I have considered everything. The match I referred to does not match any others with his surname. I match a number of folks with my surname, including a second cousin once removed (my y-dna great-great-grandfather, born in 1835, is our most recent common ancestor).

That 65/67 match with a different surname was born and raised in England, and his family, as far as he knows, has always lived in the West Midlands of England.

My y-dna line has been in North America since at least 1804, when my ggg-grandfather was born in Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then).

But there are a lot of folks with my surname in the West Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
                  Stevo,
                  This is interesting. Assuming you are from the USA, when did your earliest direct male ancestor migrate to the USA?
                  Linda
                  I don't know. Like I said in the post above, my most distant known y-dna ancestor is my ggg-grandfather, who was born in 1804 in Wheeling, West Virginia. The holy grail of my own genealogical quest is to find my immigrant y-dna ancestor.

I am R-L21, which is extremely common in the British Isles, especially Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. My 65/67 out-of-surname match hails from a part of the West Midlands right along the Welsh border.

Comment

On the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database, it shows an exact match for my DNA at the 12 and 25 marker levels for an individual in the United Kingdom. How do I find this individual in the FTDNA database of Projects?
                    It's not possible to search FTDNA's complete database.

However, the info on the RAO page comes directly from your matches, so this person should be listed on your Matches page, where names and email addresses of all your matches are provided.

There are a few exceptions to this:

1) Research samples (ie, not customers)
                    2) Customers who did not sign the release for FTDNA to share their name/email
                    3) Customers who have unchecked the boxes on their User Preferences page to hide certain levels of matching

It's not possible to know exactly which person on the Matches page is the person on the RAO page, since they're not cross-referenced. So the best thing to do is just email your exact matches and ask which one has ancestry from the UK Of course, this is only feasible if you have a few matches -- it's not feasible for people who have hundreds of matches.

Also, just a point of clarification... an entry of United Kingdom on the RAO page doesn't necessarily mean that the customer lives in the UK. The RAO page provides country of origin for the most distant known ancestor. So the person can live in some other country, but list the UK as the origin of their paternal line. You might already have known this, but it wasn't clear from the way that you worded the question.

Elise

Comment

I don't know. Like I said in the post above, my most distant known y-dna ancestor is my ggg-grandfather, who was born in 1804 in Wheeling, West Virginia. The holy grail of my own genealogical quest is to find my immigrant y-dna ancestor.

I am R-L21, which is extremely common in the British Isles, especially Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. My 65/67 out-of-surname match hails from a part of the West Midlands right along the Welsh border.
                      I find this interesting because there is a situation in my family lineage where my 4 x grgrandfather had last name was Ross (his name was Rice Farrar Ross and b. 1776 SC, NC, or GA) but his male descendants match Farrar males at the same level of 67 Y-DNA markers you are describing. Haplogroup for my Ross/Farrar family is R1a. In our case we have a known intersect in that Rice had middle name, Farrar. Whatever, in your case you could be going quite a few generations back so not necessarily a recent NPE, if that is the case at all. When I use such awkward wording it is because if I use apstrophes I get cut off.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                        It's not possible to search FTDNA's complete database.

However, the info on the RAO page comes directly from your matches, so this person should be listed on your Matches page, where names and email addresses of all your matches are provided.

There are a few exceptions to this:

1) Research samples (ie, not customers)
                        2) Customers who did not sign the release for FTDNA to share their name/email
                        3) Customers who have unchecked the boxes on their User Preferences page to hide certain levels of matching

It's not possible to know exactly which person on the Matches page is the person on the RAO page, since they're not cross-referenced. So the best thing to do is just email your exact matches and ask which one has ancestry from the UK Of course, this is only feasible if you have a few matches -- it's not feasible for people who have hundreds of matches.

Also, just a point of clarification... an entry of United Kingdom on the RAO page doesn't necessarily mean that the customer lives in the UK. The RAO page provides country of origin for the most distant known ancestor. So the person can live in some other country, but list the UK as the origin of their paternal line. You might already have known this, but it wasn't clear from the way that you worded the question.

Elise
                        Thanks for clarifying the RAO, I didn't know that. I'm new to all this DNA stuff and I'm learning every day. So, I guess I'm stuck until someone else does a DNA test that matches me. Thanks for the info,

John

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the RAO, I didn't know that. I'm new to all this DNA stuff and I'm learning every day. So, I guess I'm stuck until someone else does a DNA test that matches me. Thanks for the info,

John
                          Hmm, why stuck? How many 12-marker and 25-marker matches do you have? And have you tried to email any of them yet?

Elise

Comment

Hmm, why stuck? How many 12-marker and 25-marker matches do you have? And have you tried to email any of them yet?

Elise
                            I've emailed my 12 & 25 marker match, and they replied that their 6th great grandparents lived in the UK and they are willing to help. I'm just waiting on a reply. I'm trying find Projects for matches in the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database: it list:

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches:
                            Exact Matches:
                            Germany 1
                            Ireland 1
                            United Kingdom 1

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                            One Step Mutations:
                            England 12
                            Germany 3
                            Northern Ireland 1
                            Scotland 3
                            United Kingdom 3
                            Wales 1

25 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                            Exact Matches
                            United Kingdom 1

37 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                            Two Step Mutations:
                            United Kingdom 1

67 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                            3 Step Mutations:
                            United Kingdom 1

Do these One Step Mutations under the 12 Marker Y-DNA Matches mean that I.m related to these matches? If yes, how to I find these matches in the FTDNA Projects?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

Elise
                              I've emailed my 12 & 25 marker match, and they replied that their 6th great grandparents lived in the UK and they are willing to help. I'm just waiting on a reply. I'm trying find Projects for matches in the RECENT ANCESTRAL ORIGINS (RAO) database: it list:

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches:
                              Exact Matches:
                              Germany 1
                              Ireland 1
                              United Kingdom 1

12 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                              One Step Mutations:
                              England 12
                              Germany 3
                              Northern Ireland 1
                              Scotland 3
                              United Kingdom 3
                              Wales 1

25 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                              Exact Matches
                              United Kingdom 1

37 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                              Two Step Mutations:
                              United Kingdom 1

67 Marker Y-DNA Matches
                              3 Step Mutations:
                              United Kingdom 1

Do these One Step Mutations under the 12 Marker Y-DNA Matches mean that I.m related to these matches? If yes, how to I find these matches in the FTDNA Projects?

Thanks for any help.
                              Last edited by migoblu; 5 November 2011, 05:54 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Working...
                              X