X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by nathanm View Post
    I did contact their customer service to see if I could have someone else take the autosomal test I ordered. And I can! Now I need to ask if they're going to allow downloading the raw data. I should've thought of that before.
    Nathanm,

I hope you secured a kit because someone on another forum contacted Ancestry today and they have already met the 10,000 limit so the offer is over. I am amazed how fast they were able to collect 12,000 autosomal DNA samples (the earlier offer for the first 2000, and then the one for the first 10,000).

I hope FTDNA has established some sort of partnership with Ancestry on this. Of course this is just my own personal thought, I have never heard anything to suggest this might be true. Just thinking with my fingers....

Judy

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    I did contact their customer service to see if I could have someone else take the autosomal test I ordered. And I can! Now I need to ask if they're going to allow downloading the raw data. I should've thought of that before.

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by djparlette View Post
    I have been a member since 1998. I have World Deluxe Editon. I had my husband, brother and son tested there. I have a 8,000 name public member tree, And I did not receive an invitation. I am disappointed, to say the least.
    Totally illogical. I would call them. That is not how to treat loyal customers.

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by cbon20 View Post
    I didn't receive an invitation

I've been a subscriber (maximum) for many years. I've uploaded my Y-DNA results, but not tested. I'm thinking it must only be the people that tested there that received invitations.
    No, the offer for those who tested with Ancestry got the offer over 3 weeks ago, and the cut-off was the first 2000 people who responded, no kit needed as they already have our DNA. This recent one yesterday went out to Ancestry subscribers (not all folks who tested), but not everyone got the offer, which is a mystery regarding how they selected the people who got the offer. I got that one also, but I have not uploaded any DNA results from other companies to Ancestry. I did do a mtDNA test with them in 2008, and I subscribe to the genealogy service.

Frustration over how some existing customers got the offer and others didn't is also a topic of conversation on the public forum at 23andMe.

Ancestry says that the autosomal test will be available to the general public in early 2012. I do not know what the price will be.

Leave a comment:

• djparlette
    replied
    I have been a member since 1998. I have World Deluxe Editon. I had my husband, brother and son tested there. I have a 8,000 name public member tree, And I did not receive an invitation. I am disappointed, to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• cbon20
    replied
    I didn't receive an invitation

I've been a subscriber (maximum) for many years. I've uploaded my Y-DNA results, but not tested. I'm thinking it must only be the people that tested there that received invitations.

Leave a comment:

• cjm95
    replied
    I did not get an email from ancestry.com. When I tried the link through the article it says the offer is over.

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    Originally posted by nolnacsj View Post
    The offer is good until 11/6. Do you really think they got 10,000 requests for kits in less than 24 hours? Some folks on other groups I belong to are Ancestry subscribers but they never received the email offer, so I don't think the email ad went out to all 1.7 M subscribers. However I know that some were able to get the link from others and place their order.
    I hope it's not over yet; most of my cousins must not check their e-mail every 5 minutes like me . But I can't tell, since their website knows I've already ordered (maybe if I logged off Ancestry?). CeCe Moore wrote a post about it, speculating the e-mail recipients were "apparently chosen from among those who have manually uploaded DNA results to their site," which sounds like a reasonable explanation to me.

I sure hope FTDNA finalizes and makes available, their 3rd party upload capability really soon.
    They have to have some big announcement at the project administrator conference this weekend. (Please, please, please!)
    Last edited by nathanm; 2 November 2011, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    I'm certain it is. The wording is mostly the same, except it was for 10,000 instead of 2000. According to the e-mail:

I e-mailed all my cousins who I know have Ancestry subscriptions, but I don't think any took advantage of the offer. The web page linked from the e-mail just shows I've already ordered it, but someone on DNA Forums tried the link, and said the offer's already over. It went fast!

Did they send you a new kit or do they already have a DNA sample in storage to test? I'm assuming this announcement meant they've already processed some of the 2000 samples, and liked what they saw. They just released their 3rd Qtr earnings last week: 1.7M subscribers and $46.9M in cash allows them to undertake new ventures like this. But I'm still skeptical they're 100% behind it, because their current DNA offerings are so pathetic.

My actual purpose in taking them up on the offer (besides a virtually free autosomal test, of course ), is the hope I can use it for my great aunt, and they'll allow raw data downloads (and that they're using the same Illumina chip). Then once FTDNA finally implements 3rd party FF imports, I'll transfer the results here.
    They did not send me a new kit as they indicated that they will use my existing sample and only send a kit if they need more sample. I did a mtDNA test with them back in 2008, before I found FTDNA.

I have not tried to also order a kit. The offer is good until 11/6. Do you really think they got 10,000 requests for kits in less than 24 hours? Some folks on other groups I belong to are Ancestry subscribers but they never received the email offer, so I don't think the email ad went out to all 1.7 M subscribers. However I know that some were able to get the link from others and place their order.

I could not resist a free autosomal DNA test either.

I sure hope FTDNA finalizes and makes available, their 3rd party upload capability really soon.
    Last edited by nolnacsj; 2 November 2011, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    I assume this is the same test/offer I enrolled in 3 weeks ago when Ancestry.com sent out the offer for the first 2000 existing DNA testing customers who signed up, and I do not need to also respond to this offer. Do you agree?
    I'm certain it is. The wording is mostly the same, except it was for 10,000 instead of 2000. According to the e-mail:
    Over the past year we've worked with industry experts and applied the latest science and technology to make it possible for you to discover your genetic ethnicity and increase your chances of connecting with possible relatives through your DNA. Now we're offering select Ancestry.com members like you the exclusive chance to get this new service for free before it's available to the public...
    I e-mailed all my cousins who I know have Ancestry subscriptions, but I don't think any took advantage of the offer. The web page linked from the e-mail just shows I've already ordered it, but someone on DNA Forums tried the link, and said the offer's already over. It went fast!

Did they send you a new kit or do they already have a DNA sample in storage to test? I'm assuming this announcement meant they've already processed some of the 2000 samples, and liked what they saw. They just released their 3rd Qtr earnings last week: 1.7M subscribers and $46.9M in cash allows them to undertake new ventures like this. But I'm still skeptical they're 100% behind it, because their current DNA offerings are so pathetic.

My actual purpose in taking them up on the offer (besides a virtually free autosomal test, of course ), is the hope I can use it for my great aunt, and they'll allow raw data downloads (and that they're using the same Illumina chip). Then once FTDNA finally implements 3rd party FF imports, I'll transfer the results here.

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Apparently, Ancestry.com likes the results of their pilot project so far. They've now extended the offer to 10,000 Ancestry.com subscribers. I got an e-mail about it, and quickly ordered one. This isn't just limited to people who've previously had DNA tested there, because I haven't. The wording sounds the same as what was reported previously.

The fine print says only one per customer, and it's unclear if it can be used by someone other than the person named on the order. If it can, I'm having my great aunt tested. Otherwise, more duplicate testing for me. I obviously can't link to the page on this forum, but check your e-mail; paying subscribers should have one. You have to order by 6 Nov and return the kit by 30 Nov.
    I assume this is the same test/offer I enrolled in 3 weeks ago when Ancestry.com sent out the offer for the first 2000 existing DNA testing customers who signed up, and I do not need to also respond to this offer. Do you agree?

Judy

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    FREE AncestryDNA test

Apparently, Ancestry.com likes the results of their pilot project so far. They've now extended the offer to 10,000 Ancestry.com subscribers. I got an e-mail about it, and quickly ordered one. This isn't just limited to people who've previously had DNA tested there, because I haven't. The wording sounds the same as what was reported previously.

The fine print says only one per customer, and it's unclear if it can be used by someone other than the person named on the order. If it can, I'm having my great aunt tested. Otherwise, more duplicate testing for me. I obviously can't link to the page on this forum, but check your e-mail; paying subscribers should have one. You have to order by 6 Nov and return the kit by 30 Nov.

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    I signed up yesterday and got a message about the date the test was do 2012 something. But got no conformation e-mail shouldn't I have gotten one, or a message from Ancestry? I got the 2012 message after signing up but thought there should be a follow up message or E-mail.
    Edward,

I didn't get a formal confirming email either so I used the link from the original ad and tried to enroll again and I got the message that said that I had already subscribed to the offer. So, I guess I am good to go.

Judy

Leave a comment:

• Javelin
    replied
    Plus, Ancestry.com gets the inheritance wrong in some of their "inferred" results. I input my own mtDNA results in their database, and it properly inferred them to my mother, siblings, and other maternal relatives. But when I input my father's mtDNA results, it somehow inferred them to me. My profile literally showed me with two separate maternal haplogroups. I contacted their customer service, but they didn't even understand my question, so I ended up just deleting his mtDNA results.
    Yes, Ancestry also thinks I passed my mtDNA on to my daughter (I am male, so I doubt it!).

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    Originally posted by GayeSherman View Post
    One problem I had with them is the inability to upload/import/type-in DNA results for someone else in your tree. I can't upload my son's 67 marker Y-DNA results without creating a (free) account for him.

I can create umpteen trees under my own login but I need a separate login for each set of DNA results? Sorry - not interested.

That and not being able to upload FGS results AND how they show mtDNA "matches" out to 5 differences. Okay for Y-DNA I guess, but anything beyond 1 difference is useless for mtDNA.
    I'm with you on the multiple accounts. I've had a few people tested, but I manage all their DNA accounts. Some of them I've already invited to view my Ancestry.com online trees, but I don't think they'd be able to figure out how to manually enter their own results.

Plus, Ancestry.com gets the inheritance wrong in some of their "inferred" results. I input my own mtDNA results in their database, and it properly inferred them to my mother, siblings, and other maternal relatives. But when I input my father's mtDNA results, it somehow inferred them to me. My profile literally showed me with two separate maternal haplogroups. I contacted their customer service, but they didn't even understand my question, so I ended up just deleting his mtDNA results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X