X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GayeSherman
    replied
    One problem I had with them is the inability to upload/import/type-in DNA results for someone else in your tree. I can't upload my son's 67 marker Y-DNA results without creating a (free) account for him.

I can create umpteen trees under my own login but I need a separate login for each set of DNA results? Sorry - not interested.

That and not being able to upload FGS results AND how they show mtDNA "matches" out to 5 differences. Okay for Y-DNA I guess, but anything beyond 1 difference is useless for mtDNA.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    I signed up yesterday and got a message about the date the test was do 2012 something. But got no conformation e-mail shouldn't I have gotten one, or a message from Ancestry? I got the 2012 message after signing up but thought there should be a follow up message or E-mail.
    Last edited by EdwardRHill; 7 October 2011, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    Here's a blog post with more information on the offer, which seems to be over. Based on the number of SNPs, it sounds like they're going to use the same Illumina OmniExpress chip FTDNA and 23andMe use. If so, data from Ancestry's autosomal test should also be able to be imported into the FF database, once they get around to offering 3rd party uploads (hint, hint ).

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by sjadelson View Post
    I did originally test with them, but it looks as though the free upgrade offer is up....
    Interesting. That means that in about 24 hours, Ancestry got 2000 requests for the upgrade. You needed to click on the link Ancestry provided in an email they sent out to existing DNA customers. If you go in to Ancestry any other way, you will not see any mention of the offer, even under your Ancestry homepage. At least I couldn't find it.

I did see a job advertisement from Ancestry that the person who authors The Genetic Genealogist wrote about, which suggests that Ancestry may be getting into the autosomal testing market.

Judy

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Originally posted by nathanm View Post
    There are several companies who offer autosomal STR tests.

The primary competitor is 23andMe. They have a much larger database, but few of the people who've tested there seem to be interested in genealogy.
    Thanks, I had forgot about 23 and Me. Some of my FF matches have tested there too and they have large numbers of matches in the hundreds but like you say the people who test there are not doing it for genealogy. Most of those who test there are for medical reason.

Leave a comment:

• sjadelson
    replied
    I did originally test with them, but it looks as though the free upgrade offer is up....

Leave a comment:

• k.o.gran
    replied
    Originally posted by Javelin View Post
    I wonder if they will allow upload of other companies' data as they now do for yDNA and mtDNA?
    If they do, I guess it will be in an attempt to get a larger database than FTDNA and 23andMe by becoming a common ground for autosomal comparison. Which is not good for FTDNA unless they launch their "upload third party autosomal data for a fee" service pretty soon.

Leave a comment:

• Javelin
    replied
    I wonder if they will allow upload of other companies' data as they now do for yDNA and mtDNA?

Leave a comment:

• briancowings
    replied
    I have 'heard'

It's 700,000 "markers," presumably the SNPs on the Illumina chip or something similar.

Thanks Ann

I didn't test with them so I can't see the page, but what kind of autosomal test, STR or SNP?

(They test ySTRS but not SNPs, so I am not overwhemed with their product range so far.)

Leave a comment:

• Javelin
    replied
    Originally posted by nathanm View Post
    Yes, but do any of them have a public database for allele comparison except DNA Fingerprint (now owned by FTDNA)?

Leave a comment:

• nathanm
    replied
    Great, thanks! So far the only public autosomal STR matching system I know of is at DNA Fingerprint.

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
    Does anyone else have a autosomal test?
    The primary competitor is 23andMe. They have a much larger database, but few of the people who've tested there seem to be interested in genealogy.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Interesting -- this is yet another reason for FTDNA to make good on their promise to allow for-fee uploads of competitors' autosomal data.
    Does anyone else have a autosomal test?

Leave a comment:

• Javelin
    replied
    Interesting -- this is yet another reason for FTDNA to make good on their promise to allow for-fee uploads of competitors' autosomal data.

Leave a comment:

• EdwardRHill
    replied
    Thanks, I just signed up

Leave a comment:

• nolnacsj
    replied
    Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
    It's 700,000 "markers," so presumably the Illumina chip or something similar.
    I did a mtDNA test with Ancestry.com way back in 2008, before I knew about FTDNA and before either FTDNA or 23andMe had released their autosomal test. I have since done the full mtDNA test with FTDNA, as well as FF. I received an email from Ancestry.com yesterday regarding the upgrade, and jumped on it because I wanted to be one of the first 2000. Because I am an adoptee, I will take advantage of every opportunity (within reason) I can, which may help me learn more about my roots. However, I have no plans to leave FTDNA.

When Ancestry results become available, I will share my experience and opinions with you.

Judy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X