This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Upgrade at Ancestry.com

This is for current subscribers only (eg already tested at Ancestry.com) so this is not promoting a competitor! If admin feel it is then please remove this post.

I tested at Ancestry.com before realising FTDNA had more 'experience'!!

Anyway Ancestry.com is allowing a free upgrade to what appears to be a new autosomal service for the first 2000 who register. You must be a current Ancestry subscriber and must have had a DNA test through Ancestry DNA in the past.
    Last edited by Darren; 6 October 2011, 10:46 PM. Reason: link removed

I didn't test with them so I can't see the page, but what kind of autosomal test, STR or SNP?

(They test ySTRS but not SNPs, so I am not overwhemed with their product range so far.)

Comment

I will try to find out

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      I didn't test with them so I can't see the page, but what kind of autosomal test, STR or SNP?

(They test ySTRS but not SNPs, so I am not overwhemed with their product range so far.)

Comment

Great, thanks! So far the only public autosomal STR matching system I know of is at DNA Fingerprint.

Comment

It's 700,000 "markers," so presumably the Illumina chip or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
            It's 700,000 "markers," so presumably the Illumina chip or something similar.
            I did a mtDNA test with Ancestry.com way back in 2008, before I knew about FTDNA and before either FTDNA or 23andMe had released their autosomal test. I have since done the full mtDNA test with FTDNA, as well as FF. I received an email from Ancestry.com yesterday regarding the upgrade, and jumped on it because I wanted to be one of the first 2000. Because I am an adoptee, I will take advantage of every opportunity (within reason) I can, which may help me learn more about my roots. However, I have no plans to leave FTDNA.

When Ancestry results become available, I will share my experience and opinions with you.

Judy

Comment

Thanks, I just signed up

Comment

Interesting -- this is yet another reason for FTDNA to make good on their promise to allow for-fee uploads of competitors' autosomal data.

Comment

Interesting -- this is yet another reason for FTDNA to make good on their promise to allow for-fee uploads of competitors' autosomal data.
                  Does anyone else have a autosomal test?

Comment

Great, thanks! So far the only public autosomal STR matching system I know of is at DNA Fingerprint.
                    There are several companies who offer autosomal STR tests.

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
                    Does anyone else have a autosomal test?
                    The primary competitor is 23andMe. They have a much larger database, but few of the people who've tested there seem to be interested in genealogy.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
                      There are several companies who offer autosomal STR tests.
                      Yes, but do any of them have a public database for allele comparison except DNA Fingerprint (now owned by FTDNA)?

Comment

I have 'heard'

It's 700,000 "markers," presumably the SNPs on the Illumina chip or something similar.

Thanks Ann

Comment

I wonder if they will allow upload of other companies' data as they now do for yDNA and mtDNA?

Comment

I wonder if they will allow upload of other companies' data as they now do for yDNA and mtDNA?
                            If they do, I guess it will be in an attempt to get a larger database than FTDNA and 23andMe by becoming a common ground for autosomal comparison. Which is not good for FTDNA unless they launch their "upload third party autosomal data for a fee" service pretty soon.

Comment

I did originally test with them, but it looks as though the free upgrade offer is up....

Comment

Working...
                              X