FYI: ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: ancestry.com

I had read somewhere that ancestry.com is going to be free from October 1st thru October 15th, 2011. It turns out that not everything is temporarily free. Each day only one collection will be free for that day. To view the collection you have to be logged into an ancestry.com account. I use just my first initial and last initial in the first and last name boxes, and my email address. They send a confirmation to your email inbox that you have to click on to confirm. They use your email address as your username but you can change that to anything afterwards, and a password. After you log in they redirect you to a page to purchase a monthly or annual subscription, but you don't have to enter anything and skip that.

Ancestry.com will announce on their website which one is free on that day, so anyone who is interested in knowing what it will be would need to go to their website each day.

October 01st free collection was: Social Security Death Index

October 02nd free collection was: Ireland, Griffith

October 03rd (today) free collection is: California Marriage Index, 1960–1985
    Last edited by ~Elizabeth~; 3 October 2011, 01:20 PM.

Originally posted by ~Elizabeth~ View Post
    October 01st free collection was: Social Security Death Index

October 02nd free collection was: Ireland, Griffith
    Ironically, SSDI is already free at Ancestry:

http://ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/

You can also search Griffiths free any time at

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

though you can't see the actual images free with that one.

Comment

I get easily confused and usually avoid participating in all the various come-ons and schemes on the internet. In the case of Ancestry.com, well, it is a hobby of mine (in my old age). So I don't really mind paying a yearly fee for all the entertainment it gives me.

Comment

Working...
      X