Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does all this mean?

I have several questions on my results.

1. In the Hale project I only match one other Hale. This Hale happens to be a cousin (they are related to one of my gg grandfather’s brothers. And I also match a surname Aker, who I can find no match in my family tree. On the FTDNA map it shows the match with my cousin and the Aker is in Germany, say what???? How is this possible?

2. In the Recent Ancestral Origins page it shows this:

12 MARKER Y-DNA MATCHES

Exact Matches
    Country Your Matches Comment Match Total Country Total Percentage
    Germany 1 - 1 11,823 < 0.1%
    Ireland 1 - 1 13,759 < 0.1%
    United Kingdom 1 - 1 10,408 < 0.1%
    One Step Mutations
    England 12 - 12 23,509 0.1%
    Germany 3 - 3 11,823 < 0.1%
    Scotland 3 - 3 11,173 < 0.1%
    United Kingdom 4 - 4 10,408 < 0.1%
    Wales 1 - 1 1,994 < 0.1%

25 MARKER Y-DNA MACTHES

Exact Matches
    United Kingdom 1 - 1 6,596 < 0.1%

37 MARKER Y-DNA MATCHES

Two Step Mutations
    United Kingdom 1 - 1 5,593 < 0.1%

67 MARKER Y-DNA MATCHES

3Step Mutations
    United Kingdom 1 - 1 2,714 < 0.1%
    111 MARKER Y-DNA MATCHES

What does all this mean? What does the 1 Step, 2 Step, and 3 Step Mutations mean? Does this mean I’m related under the 12 marker to 1 person in Germany, Ireland, and the UK?

What about the 1 step mutation under the 12 marker, does it mean I’m related to those numbers of people? That would be good if I’m related to at least 1 in Wales, as that is where my father says our ancestors came from.

Thanks for any help.

John Hale.
    Last edited by migoblu; 29 September 2011, 10:41 AM. Reason: Copy and paster didn't work

Have you had your Sub Clade tested? Once I did my list of match narrowed down. What you have is a bunch of possibility and you need to narrow down the list by doing the sub clade test. The explanation for what your seeing is at the top of the Ancestral Origins page.

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardRHill View Post
      Have you had your Sub Clade tested? Once I did my list of match narrowed down. What you have is a bunch of possibility and you need to narrow down the list by doing the sub clade test. The explanation for what your seeing is at the top of the Ancestral Origins page.

Thanks for your reply.

Oh, I get it. Now I need to spend more money to narrow it down. Well, I guess I'll just have to say: "Yeah, I'm related to them".

By, the way, are the 1, 2, and 3 Step mutations the same as the Genetic Distance? I thought I read somewhere at FTDNA that a 1, 2, or 3 Genetic Distance meant that you are likely related, but a paper trail or having the person you have the 1, 2, or 3 Genetic Distance from would need to be further tested to see if you are related? Is that correct?
      Last edited by migoblu; 29 September 2011, 12:22 PM. Reason: Add thank you

Comment

If I recall correcty those places and numbers from that particular page are just a reference population.They are not real people whom you can contact. If your from a very large haplogroup like R1b1 I will see matches from all parts of the globe under that section.The deep clade gives a better idea of possible ancestry and even then it is never definite- just more probable

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
          If I recall correcty those places and numbers from that particular page are just a reference population.They are not real people whom you can contact. If your from a very large haplogroup like R1b1 I will see matches from all parts of the globe under that section.The deep clade gives a better idea of possible ancestry and even then it is never definite- just more probable
          Thanks for your reply. Gee, it looks like should have gotten more info before I tested for the 67 Marker. How much does this deep clade test cost? I find it diffucult to decipher the type of tests and cost.

Thanks for any help.

John
          Last edited by migoblu; 29 September 2011, 01:09 PM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by migoblu View Post
            Thanks for your reply.

Oh, I get it. Now I need to spend more money to narrow it down. Well, I guess I'll just have to say: "Yeah, I'm related to them".

By, the way, are the 1, 2, and 3 Step mutations the same as the Genetic Distance? I thought I read somewhere at FTDNA that a 1, 2, or 3 Genetic Distance meant that you are likely related, but a paper trail or having the person you have the 1, 2, or 3 Genetic Distance from would need to be further tested to see if you are related? Is that correct?
            Yes, one mutation equals one Genetic Distance. On your Y-DNA matches page you'll have on the right of you matches name a symbol or two . One is a tree for you to review if the match has one available. The other is a Tip report which gives you a percentage of when you share a common ancestor plus other info. My matches all have a different surname than me so a different set of problems which is one reason why I did the Deep Clade test. For me any percentage over 90% is a good clue. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in here.

Comment

I think the test cost 99.99 and it is worth it if your matches have a different surname. They have to test too.

Comment

Oh goodness my apology. I thought you were posting matches from the Ancestral Origins page.Hence my belief that it is a reference population.
                I have no matches at any marker level so I am not familiar to what a match from that page looks like.

Comment

By the way, matches on the Ancestral Origins page are real people, and sometimes you can contact them, if you try hard enough.

I have a 65/67 match with a man born in England that began as an exact 25-marker match on my Ancestral Origins page. The match did not show up on my Y-DNA Matches page because the man had (and still has) his own preferences set to show only matches within his surname project. He also at that time had no Ysearch entry. I emailed FTDNA and asked them how I could get in touch with him. They said they would forward my email to him and then it was up to my match whether or not to respond. He did respond and ultimately upgraded to 67 markers.

Now I know who he is and where he was born. I still haven't figured out how we are related, since he doesn't share my surname and I can't get my own y-dna line past West Virginia and 1804, but now at least I have some idea what neck of the British woods my y-dna ancestor probably came from.
                  Last edited by Stevo; 29 September 2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Oh goodness my apology. I thought you were posting matches from the Ancestral Origins page.Hence my belief that it is a reference population.
                    I have no matches at any marker level so I am not familiar to what a match from that page looks like.
                    OH I was thinking you had a cousin Hale that matched you but you also had matched another match with a German surname. DOH!

Comment

Assuming Aker has tested more than 12 markers, and he isn't showing up as a match beyond that level, you can disregard him because any connection you may have to him is most likely thousands of years old.

Comment

Yes, one mutation equals one Genetic Distance. On your Y-DNA matches page you'll have on the right of you matches name a symbol or two . One is a tree for you to review if the match has one available. The other is a Tip report which gives you a percentage of when you share a common ancestor plus other info. My matches all have a different surname than me so a different set of problems which is one reason why I did the Deep Clade test. For me any percentage over 90% is a good clue. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in here.
                        Thanks for that info on the Genetic Distance, and the info on the tree and Tip Report.

John

Comment

Hey, no problem. I'm no new to this and so confused, I'll take any info I can get to understand it. I've hit a brick wall in my family tree search and I thought a DNA test might break down the wall. But, so far I still hitting my head against the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                            By the way, matches on the Ancestral Origins page are real people, and sometimes you can contact them, if you try hard enough.

I have a 65/67 match with a man born in England that began as an exact 25-marker match on my Ancestral Origins page. The match did not show up on my Y-DNA Matches page because the man had (and still has) his own preferences set to show only matches within his surname project. He also at that time had no Ysearch entry. I emailed FTDNA and asked them how I could get in touch with him. They said they would forward my email to him and then it was up to my match whether or not to respond. He did respond and ultimately upgraded to 67 markers.

Now I know who he is and where he was born. I still haven't figured out how we are related, since he doesn't share my surname and I can't get my own y-dna line past West Virginia and 1804, but now at least I have some idea what neck of the British woods my y-dna ancestor probably came from.
                            Wow, thanks for that info. I will have to try and make contact with them if I can. My brick wall in my fmaily tree is my great great grandfather (gg gf) (John Hale). A sworn statement from a great uncle stated that my gg gf was born in Washington County, VA. But all researchers state he was born in Wythe County, VA, even a birth listing for one of his son's list Wythe County, VA. But, when I contacted Wythe County Historical Society they said they had no Hale's living in the county during the time he would have been born.

So, maybe if I can contact some of these people in the Ancestral Origins page, and they happen to be a Hale they can give me some info any any of their Hale's that came to the US and I can trace their movement. My great uncle's sworn statement indicates that my gg gf was part Cherokee, but I don' know if DNA can show that, can it?

Thnaks again for your info.

John
                            Last edited by migoblu; 30 September 2011, 08:56 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

OH I was thinking you had a cousin Hale that matched you but you also had matched another match with a German surname. DOH!

Yeah, that's right. I matched a cousin I only know through email and Ancestry.com, and a surname of Aker.

Comment

Working...
                              X