Dr. Mcdonald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Mcdonald

Attached is the PCA plot from Dr. Mcdonald. My father was Ukrainian and my mother mostly Scottish, then English, Irish, French, Dutch, Scandinavian and German. Are these ethnic groups on this chart in my ancestry or is it for comparison to me? I think they are in my ancestry and are the most common in my dna - is that correct? Most would make sense given my research except I haven't found any Jewish or Italian ancestors yet. Italian could be explained if a Roman entered into my ancestry somewhere since their armies were all over Europe. Basque is also a mystery, along with Spain and Sardinia but I did have some ancestors from extreme southern France which could explain Spanish at least. I'm confused as to why Ukrainian doesn't show up directly here or maybe the software he used lumps Ukrainians in with Russians? Anyone have any information on the Chuvash?
    Overall I found FTDNA results much too vague although I only had the 12 marker y-dna and familyfinder done. It seems we have to use other routes to determine our ancestry using the FTDNA test results.
    Attached Files

...scattergrams...

Thanks for posting your scattergram. I see by looking at yours that with the exception of the crosshairs, it is the exact same as mine. I thought that all the dots meant that I had that amount (of dots) based in that area (Spain, Romania, etc.). Now I see that those dots must just be a reference population, because ours are exactly the same. My crosshairs ended up more towards French.

My most likely population set was:
    French = 0.592 and Hungary = 0.408

I also wondered about Chuvash, but haven't taken the time to Google it yet.

Hope someone else can help answer your questions. I'm still trying to figure this out as well.

Cheers,
    taylor

Comment

Ukrainian is not mentioned since it's not one of reference populations. As stated above all the dots are reference populations. The cross-hair shows your generic average...think geography.

For the sake of an example assume 50% French and 50% Russian ancestry and no French or Russian populations exist in the plot, but a German one does. So the sample's cross-hair would be right in the heart of Germany but with absolutely no German ancestry. The equal French and Russian pulls the average to central Germany. No apply this concept to your known ancestry and your plot will make more sense.

Comment

Working...
      X