Ancestry.com database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry.com database

Does anyone out there know much about the ancestry.com database? I haven't tested with them, but I went to enter in my markers on their FTDNA conversion page and have gotten the following message "Ancestry.com DNA is temporarily unavailable for system maintenance". It's been like this for over three days now.

I know they don't test nearly as many markers for the Y-chromosome, but how is their database in terms the number of participants? I'm still hoping to solve a major Y-chromosome related brick wall with DNA and I'm hoping to find a good surname match somewhere. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't know anything about the number of people in the Ancestry.com database. But the rule of thumb in genetic genealogy is to get your results in as many databases as possible. It couldn't hurt, especially when you can enter your FTDNA results in the Ancestry.com database for free.

In my case, my only two close matches are in the Ancestry.com database. I have a 42/43 match and an exact 43/43 match there. In the case of the 42/43 match, I got him to retest at FTDNA and we are now a 72/76 match, which means a TMRCA of about 400 years. I wasn't able to convince the 43/43 match to retest at FTDNA, even by offering to pay for part of the retest. But at least now I have a possible surname for my great-grandfather's biological father; my great-grandfather was abandoned as an infant and is the brickwall I'm trying to knock down.

Comment

Originally posted by KCWelch View Post
      Does anyone out there know much about the ancestry.com database? I haven't tested with them, but I went to enter in my markers on their FTDNA conversion page and have gotten the following message "Ancestry.com DNA is temporarily unavailable for system maintenance". It's been like this for over three days now.

I know they don't test nearly as many markers for the Y-chromosome, but how is their database in terms the number of participants? I'm still hoping to solve a major Y-chromosome related brick wall with DNA and I'm hoping to find a good surname match somewhere. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
      The DNA section of their website seems to go down a lot for maintenance. But keep trying and you'll get through eventually.

I have no close Y-DNA matches at either site, but that's probably due to my haplogroup. It's definitely worth entering your results there and Genetree as well. Just don't trust Ancestry's MRCA calculations.

Comment

Thanks for the information. The ancestry.com DNA entry conversion site is still down after 4 days which is pretty annoying. I've never heard of Genetree. Have they been around for a while? Their site seems pretty bland. Anyone had any luck with them in the past?

Comment

Thanks for the information. The ancestry.com DNA entry conversion site is still down after 4 days which is pretty annoying. I've never heard of Genetree. Have they been around for a while? Their site seems pretty bland. Anyone had any luck with them in the past?
          I manually uploaded to Ancestry and to Genetree. What a pain for 67 markers !!

Got way too many low-marker hits at Ancestry. So many "exact" matches at 12/12. Just a couple at 25+. None at 37+. None so far of anything from Genetree. I spoke to people at both places and there is no way to upload .csv excel or other dqta files. It has to be manual.

But I have read so many times : "be in as many databases as you can". That's me.

Comment

The worst thing about the ancestry site is putting in all of your markers, hitting submit and then having them tell you that the site is "down for maintenance". It's been down for more than 4 days!

Comment

The worst thing about the ancestry site is putting in all of your markers, hitting submit and then having them tell you that the site is "down for maintenance". It's been down for more than 4 days!
              As I wrote :what a pain:

I did it three times, eventually called Ancestry, they said I was logged in to Ancestry UK and my data was entered at Ancestry US, they couldn't swing it over, back to square one. Then couldn't attach the family tree at Ancestry because that was at the "other" site.

What fun.

Comment

Genetree is a for-profit subsidiary of the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation (SMGF). They, Ancestry.com, and others (any company that offers 33 or 46 marker Y-DNA tests) use Sorenson's lab to process their DNA samples. They allow you to manually enter results in their database, like FTDNA on Ysearch.

Comment

I had both my brother Parlette and my son Darrow tested at ancestry.com and compared with the Sorensen database. I have had both their results tranferred to here to equal your 37 marker test.
                  My son Darrow has no surname matches at either site,but shares exactly on the 12 marker test here with another Darrow who,by the way, has not responded to an email inquiry.
                  My brother Parlette had a hit at each site, a confirmed 7th cousins who was 3/32 and 3/46 at ancestry.com and second cousin who was 2/32 at the Soreensen site but no Parlett's here.

Comment

So I uploaded my results to Genetree. Can't say I like their site. It's slows, clunky and inflexible. Anyone else have any experience with it? Still have trouble with ancestry.com however.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
                      I don't know anything about the number of people in the Ancestry.com database. But the rule of thumb in genetic genealogy is to get your results in as many databases as possible. It couldn't hurt, especially when you can enter your FTDNA results in the Ancestry.com database for free.

In my case, my only two close matches are in the Ancestry.com database. I have a 42/43 match and an exact 43/43 match there. In the case of the 42/43 match, I got him to retest at FTDNA and we are now a 72/76 match, which means a TMRCA of about 400 years. I wasn't able to convince the 43/43 match to retest at FTDNA, even by offering to pay for part of the retest. But at least now I have a possible surname for my great-grandfather's biological father; my great-grandfather was abandoned as an infant and is the brickwall I'm trying to knock down.
                      Hi, Mike.

I recently scored a 27/27 match at Ancestry with a man with my surname. He can't really get his y-dna line back much further than mine, but the good thing is that his most distant y-dna ancestor came from Pennsylvania, and that is the same neck-of-the-woods my family was in at the same time.

Another good thing is that he is definitely interested. I managed to convince him to order a 67-marker test from FTDNA, but it didn't take much convincing. I am anxiously awaiting his results, which are due early next month.

Comment

Working...
                      X