No haplogroup determined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No haplogroup determined

My son Tom was tested for 46 dys markers at ancestry.com where his haplogroup was determined to be R1b
    He had the SNP haplogroup test at 23 and ME where it was determined that
    R1b1b2a1a2f defining mutations
    variant call anc der
    rs11799226 (L21) G C G
    His 37 marker test here was not able to determine a haplegroup at all!
    Would I learn anything different were I to have his SNPs tested here?
    I see the tree here does not even list R1b1b2a1a2f.

FTDNA uses the YCC (Y Chromosome Consortium) phylogenetic tree, so R1b1b2a1a2f is R1b1a2a1a1b4. The shorthand is R-L21. As you know, that means your son has a change to G at rs11799226 on the y chromosome, which means he is positive for the SNP L21. Almost everyone else has a C there.

You might want to do the Deep Clade with FTDNA because FTDNA tests some SNPs downstream of L21, and it is possible your son might be positive for one of them. But you are also entitled to a free y haplogroup "Backbone" test, since FTDNA could not predict your son's y haplogroup. Just email FTDNA about that, if you are interested. I am not sure how far up or down the tree that test goes these days, but I am thinking it is probably only as far as R1b1a2 (M269). The Deep Clade is better.

You can join your son to the R-L21 Plus Project, and I hope you will.

To join the R-L21 Plus Project, just go to his "myFTDNA" pages and click on "Join Projects" on the left side of the screen. Next, scroll down to "Y Haplogroup Projects". Click on the "R" under that heading. It has a number next to it, but that number is unimportant (it's the current number of y haplogroup R projects). On the next screen, scroll down until you find "R-L21Plus". Click on it and then on the little orange "Join" button in the lower right. That should do it.

We would be very glad to have you and your son in the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
      But you are also entitled to a free y haplogroup "Backbone" test, since FTDNA could not predict your son's y haplogroup.
      Just to clarify; The backbone test will be initialized by FTDNA automatically if haplogroup can not be predicted with confidence. So you don't even have to email them. If I remember correctly you should see something on your "Haplotree" page stating that a backbone test is in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by k.o.gran View Post
        Just to clarify; The backbone test will be initialized by FTDNA automatically if haplogroup can not be predicted with confidence. So you don't even have to email them. If I remember correctly you should see something on your "Haplotree" page stating that a backbone test is in progress.
        That's good, if it works out that way. I've known of people who had to contact FTDNA and ask, but perhaps that was just in the past and things are better now.

Comment

Does the free backbone test apply to converted kits?

Comment

That's a good question. I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
              Does the free backbone test apply to converted kits?
              Yes and no.

The 33 marker and 46 marker transfers will not give you a predicted haplogroup. Nor will it give you any matches. You may join groups and be listed there.

The "33 marker transfer + YDNA 25" and "46 marker transfer + YDNA 37" options will test for the additional markers to make you compatible with FTDNA's 25 and 37 marker tests. You will receive a haplogroup prediction and matches. It does not specificly say that the free backbone test is included, but then again, it does not say so on the traditional tests either. The exact wording is "[features provided:] Haplogroup: The deep ancestral origin your direct paternal line defined by your specific genetic signature."

-Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                I am not sure how far up or down the tree that test goes these days, but I am thinking it is probably only as far as R1b1a2 (M269).
                A year or so ago, it was literally just the backbone - eg: I got 'G' and that was all.

Comment

Working...
                X