Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y Chromosome matches

I would appreciate a few opinions on my Y Chromosome matches

I took the 12 marker Y Chromosome test a couple of years ago mainly to get a predicted haplogroup. I found I had made an exact 12-marker match with two other members of my surname project (DAVIS). As Davis is a very common surname and I have 300+ other 12 marker matches with people with other surnames I did not read too much into this.

I ordered the family finder test earlier this year and that re-ignited my interest in the earlier Y Chromosome results and I decided to upgrade. At 25 markers I had a single exact match. This was to someone with the surname SMETTERS. At this point I wondered if this match was from before the genealogical paper timeframe or an indicator of a possible false paternity event. I also had 14 genetic distance of 1 matches at 25 markers and 10 of these with individuals with surname variants of SMETTERS. With so many SMETTERS matches I was then concerned that the false paternity event may have been in my direct line.

However the exact SMETTERS match at 25 and the 11 other genetic distance 1 SMETTERS at 25 have all tested at 37 or higher markers as well and when I compare them to my 37 marker results none of them match me at all at 37 markers even as far out as a genetic distance of 4.

So based on the 37 marker results I am leaning towards it being more probable that my relationship to the SMETTERS is from before the period when surnames formed and less likely to indicate a false paternity event in my Davis line.

Does this conclusion sound reasonable in terms of its probability?

Yes. And if your type is R1b, this situation would be very common with a number of surnames.

Regards,
    Jim

Comment

Thanks, and yes I am R1b.

Comment

Conversely, I have a predicted haplogroup of R1b1a2 like so any others, but have no exact matches; I have a near match with a distance of 1/37 who shares my surname, two more matches at 2/25, and another eleven at 1/12.

I'd have expected, being in such a common haplogroup, to have more matches or partial matches. Is this a misconception? Are there any published statistics for variance of STR values per haplogroup?

Comment

(To pre-empt the question, I have "I want my matches to be set against the entire database" set in preferences, with checkmarks set for all values under "When displaying matches only show".)

Comment

I'd have expected, being in such a common haplogroup, to have more matches or partial matches. Is this a misconception?
            I think there are a number of us belonging to very common haplogroups that have no matches at any marker level. My deep clade L21 , for example, is the same as around 80% of all Irish males. I am a L21 from the Continent however
            and I think there is great deal of variance in markers from say the Irish group (or so I have been told).
            I would suggest after getting your deep clade results join a matching project
            as they can be most helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X