67 marker DNA test comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 marker DNA test comparison

Comparison of 67 marker DNA tests of 3 others to Ron resulted in the following differences:

MATCH
    DYS DYS TO
    NAME 607 520 RON
    Charles 16 20 67-1
    Tim 16 20 67-1
    John 16 19 67-2
    Ron 15 20 67-0

Charles and Tim are exact matches to each other. John is a 37-1 match with Ron and then a 67-2 match. Charles is a 67-1 match with John

Questions:
    1. What are DYS 607 and 520?
    2. How closely are Charles and Tim related?
    3. Why would John be a 37-1 match to Ron and then a 67-2 match?
    4. What would cause these differences?
    5. What are slow and fast mutating and how do they relate to DYS 607 and 520?

Your help would be much appreciated

Here are two links that will help:

http://www.familytreedna.com/genetic...px?testtype=67

https://www.familytreedna.com/my-ftd...ftdna-tip.aspx

The FTDNATip will account for the level of mutation for markers DYS 607 and 520.

Questions:
    1. What are DYS 607 and 520? Simply two markers used in the YDNA test.

2. How closely are Charles and Tim related? Within 8 generations most likely, maybe more.

3. Why would John be a 37-1 match to Ron and then a 67-2 match? The more markers tested the greater the chance of finding more mutations. They are still close for only having a genetic distance of 2 after 67 markers.

4. What would cause these differences? Mutations in the passing down of YDNA over time. Its like putting a paper in a copy machine and copying it, then taking the copy and copying it, and so on... after awhile they original and the twentieth copy don't look exactly the same.

5. What are slow and fast mutating and how do they relate to DYS 607 and 520? I've enclosed a link that should answer that below. Slow are the ones that studies have found remain the same and fast are the ones that are prone to mutating. It has to do basically with their positions in the chromosome.

You didn't say what the situation is here but if you know these are related then remember its even normal for a father and son to have one, and rarely two, markers off. You didn't say if these four are known relatives. The FTDNATip calculator will provide some probability figures for you.

The real problem is you can't predict too closely like you could with Family Finder. YDNA predictions rely on mutation rates and of course the whole idea is that in a perfect world, which this is not, it would never mutate. In other words it is prone to not mutating but once in a while it does. A genetic distance of 1 or 2 could be one generation or ten generations away, its hard to say for sure. If you have a paper trail to back this up your'e on the right track.

I've seen a perfect 67-0 match that is a not a Family Finder match yet with the same surname - which means even that one is over six to eight generations from a common ancestor.

There are tons of links about mutation rates, here is the Wiki one:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Y-STR_markers

Matt.
    Last edited by mkdexter; 1 September 2011, 01:52 AM.

Comment

as to the rates you will see how they all differ in this table:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb..../ratestuff.htm

607 and 520 look like very slow mutating markers..

The multi copy markers are the faster ones.. these two are not multi copy though.

Matt.
      Last edited by mkdexter; 1 September 2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
        I've seen a perfect 67-0 match that is a not a Family Finder match yet with the same surname
        I just saw this again and realized I was wrong.. it is a 67-1, not a 67-0 match with same surname but not a match in FF yet both parties have tested in FF.

its also a 111-2 match which is pretty good too.

Comment

Working...
        X