New to DNA-How to go from father-GranMa-her Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DNA-How to go from father-GranMa-her Father

If only my father is alive and I wanted to look into DNA matches for my father's mother's father's side, what would be the best way in doing it. He has done the YDNA test, but it looks like the MtDNA test wouldn't get there either. Is the "family finder" test the one I need to take?

Thanks!
    Nicole

Originally posted by JodyNicole View Post
    If only my father is alive and I wanted to look into DNA matches for my father's mother's father's side, what would be the best way in doing it. He has done the YDNA test, but it looks like the MtDNA test wouldn't get there either. Is the "family finder" test the one I need to take?
    The Family Finder test will find relatives through your father's mother's father's side as matches may come from all different branches of you family tree. But you won't know which side of your tree the matches are from. Another option is if you father's mother had any brothers and they either are alive or have living sons. They you could order a YDNA test for them, if they're willing to give you their DNA, obviously.

-Kai

Comment

Actually, any male that is directly related along the male line to your father's maternal grandfather can do the yDNA test. This means that if his mother didn't have any brothers, a distant male cousin directly related to her father's line could test; that's what I did for my maternal grandfather's line.
      Last edited by vinnie; 29 August 2011, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X