Rdf21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rdf21

This is my classification R1b1a2a1a1b4. I just received a note that I am now a R-DF21+ which I suppose is a subdivison of the R1b1a2a1a1b4 classificaton. Can anyone tell me what R-DF21+ means and how it affects me in my quest for my ethnic origins?

Are you having a deep clade test done?

L21 (r1b1a2a1a1b4) is a subclade of the R1b1a2a1a1b haplogroup. There are deeper subclades within L21 that can be determined by continued SNP tests such as testing for M37, M222, M66, M96 and others. These will equate to r1b1a2a1a1b4a, or b, or c, etc., or it may be you don't match those and will end up as r1b1a2a1a1b4* which means it does not match any of the currently assigned SNPs after L21.

It almost sounds like you are having a deepclade test and just need to wait for the final result. Can you provide more information as to where you received this assigned number?

Comment

Which Test & Who From

Which test have you ordered? Who did you order them from? Who was the note from?

Please, help us help.

Comment

DF21 is a recently discovered SNP downstream of L21. It's pretty new, but thus far it appears to characterize a British Isles subclade, although that could change. There have been a few L21+ continental Europeans tested for DF21, but, as far as I know, they've all been negative.

There's a brand new R-DF21 Project available now:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-DF21/default.aspx

Comment

I do not see these snp's listed under L21? Is testing offered for them at FTDNA? Or are they under a snp listed such as L226 for example?
          Should I assume when I check for updates and it says none available that I have been tested and found to be negative?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
            DF21 is a recently discovered SNP downstream of L21. It's pretty new, but thus far it appears to characterize a British Isles subclade, although that could change. There have been a few L21+ continental Europeans tested for DF21, but, as far as I know, they've all been negative.

There's a brand new R-DF21 Project available now:

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-DF21/default.aspx
            Thank you Steveo. Good info!

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
              I do not see these snp's listed under L21? Is testing offered for them at FTDNA? Or are they under a snp listed such as L226 for example?
              Should I assume when I check for updates and it says none available that I have been tested and found to be negative?
              If SNPs are found in a walk the Y (WTY) test or recent academic or hobbyist research, it can be a while before they're offered as individual SNP tests. In this case, they're still unsure of where exactly on the tree it should be placed. If you search for it on the Y Chromosome Browser, it says it's beneath R-L21 and upstream of DF5.

The project linked above gives a good explanation of the state of research at the moment, and who should consider getting tested for DF21. It's already available as an individual SNP under "Order Advanced Tests." Once enough people test positive, they'll be able to determine where it should be placed on the draft tree.

If you had a deep clade test, the SNPs tested are only the ones in FTDNA's official tree, and they're still using the 2008 YCC tree. It will probably be a while before FTDNA updates their official tree to the current YCC tree.

Comment

It's already available as an individual SNP under "Order Advanced Tests."
                Thanks. My question then is how did the OP get a note saying he was R-DF21+ ?
                Is that now a part of the deep clade test? Or did you order it under the advance testing also? I guess from the wording of the post i got the impression the note just came out of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
                  Thanks. My question then is how did the OP get a note saying he was R-DF21+ ?
                  Is that now a part of the deep clade test? Or did you order it under the advance testing also? I guess from the wording of the post i got the impression the note just came out of nowhere.
                  He was probably referring to an email I sent him. I am the Group Admin of the R-L21 Plus Project. A few days ago we got a bunch of DF21 results in. I sent an email to each of those who got a positive result letting them know.

A lot of folks don't know to check the bottom of the Haplotree page for SNP results.

Right now DF21 is only available via FTDNA's Advanced Orders menu.

I have DF21 on order myself, but my result is not due until September.

Comment

Thanks. I ordered the SNP test. If it turns out to be positive I will most certainly join that project.

Comment

Judging from the R-L21 Plus Project, DF21 results are running about 15% positive.

Thus far, all the positives either have ancestry in the British Isles or British Isles surnames. That could change as we get more results.

Comment

I tested negative for DF21. I am a continental (French) L21

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                          Judging from the R-L21 Plus Project, DF21 results are running about 15% positive.

Thus far, all the positives either have ancestry in the British Isles or British Isles surnames. That could change as we get more results.
                          As Brunetmj pulled out this thread again, I would like to comment on the above. Since Stevo wrote that post, a person with Dutch ancestry has tested positive for DF21, so it's no longer only limited to the Isles.

Comment

I wasn't sure who to pass that information on to so I thought I would start here. I do belong to the L21 project so hopefully it will register there as they build a data set.

Comment

Working...
                            X