New - Y-DNA "Third Party" uploads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long does Transfer Take?

I purchased the 3rd Party transfer and entered the results that I have from the 3rd party. BUT, the results don't show up on the Surname Project, and the results are marked as Pending.

It may be that I don't understand the process.

Russ

Comment

Russ,

Have you sent the requested documentation to the [email protected] address? You should have instructions in your account that explain to do this.

Once FTDNA receives your documentation, they'll validate the results that you entered manually and then your account should be fully activated. It may take a few days for the validation process.

Elise

Comment

Elise,

Thank you. As far as I know I did. It was a PDF file of my results.

Thank you,

Russ

Comment

Has anyone transferred from SMGF to FTDNA???

I am trying to transfer my relatives results from SMGF to FTDNA.

I'm not sure what results to enter, the "ancestry.com' mode of results or the "FTDNA mode" of results.

We did not get any documentation from SMGF after testing, so I dont know what FTDNA will do about that.

I have emailed FTDNA last night but havnt had a response yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
            We did not get any documentation from SMGF after testing, so I dont know what FTDNA will do about that.
            Just curious with no documentation how would you know what your markers are?

Comment

Originally posted by thetick View Post
              Just curious with no documentation how would you know what your markers are?
              Its very easy to view your results on the SMGF site...

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
                Its very easy to view your results on the SMGF site...
                Sorry for the stupid question, but how do know they are your results if you don't have documentation from them?

Comment

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do know they are your results if you don't have documentation from them?
                  There is a submitted pedigree chart associated with each match.

Comment

Originally posted by teyoung View Post
                    There is a submitted pedigree chart associated with each match.
                    So how do you find your tree? Do you search all trees for an ancestor? This just seems so ridiculous, but I guess you can't complain because it was free. I would rather pay, get my results in a few months instead of 2+ years, and not have to search trees to find my data.
                    Last edited by thetick; 21 February 2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

So how do you find your tree? Do you search all trees for an ancestor? This just seems so ridiculous, but I guess you can't complain because it was free. I would rather pay, get my results in a few months instead of 2+ years, and not have to search trees to find my data.
                      You're trying to find your own results? You can search by surname and "example values." If there are large numbers (e.g. Smith), you can go fairly quickly through the submissions by looking at the place information.

Comment

Getting back to the question, does anyone know if i submit the results in Ancestry mode is that ok, will they be adjusted automatically.
                        Can I just send a print out of the search page, results and pedigree tree, for documentaion.

The Tick, everyone has their own reason for testing, yours are not the same as mine.
                        This was done years ago when FTDNA only offered 37 markers, SMGF offered 43-46. If they were still going I'd put more relatives through.
                        Retrieving the results once they were posted was easy.

Comment

Searching SMGF is very similar to searching Ysearch. The key word here is searching for similar results, not searching for your own where you have an ID. You can search by surname or by results. With each set of results, depending on the type of results you are searching for (Y-DNA or mtDNA) you see the reported values, ancestral names (paternal or maternal) and area of origin (state or country). There is also an icon where you can see a ancestor tree. Why don't you create a free account and do a few searches.

Yes, it took a while to get results, but free Y-DNA and mtDNA, wasn't a bad deal. Not everyone is willing to, or able to, make the investment required that the companies that charge for these test.

It is my understanding that SMGF is no longer offering the free test in most cases, if at all. I have to admit I never understood why SMGF didn't provide a way to go directly to your results, but I didn't find it too hard to find mine or to help several others find theirs.

Comment

Working...
                          X