Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New - Y-DNA "Third Party" uploads.

New announcement from FTDNA this morning:

"We are pleased to announce the launch of a new feature we hope will benefit your projects: Y-DNA "Third Party" uploads.

This will allow for the upload of 33 and 46-marker Y-DNA test results from Ancestry, GeneTree and Sorensen's SMGF. This was a natural development since the necessary tools were created to import the DNA Heritage database after they ceased operations. While the DNA Heritage transfer is free of charge as a result of that acquisition, we will be charging a nominal fee of $19 per person to import third party results into Family Tree DNA. This $19 fee will be credited to customers who order upgrades or add-ons.

For an additional $39, customers who transfer their third party results will also have additional markers tested so that they can receive matches to Family Tree DNA's 25 or 37-marker level, ancestral origins, and other features of the personal page.

Please forward the following link to those who may be interested in ordering the Third Party transfer:

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx

What do you get when you transfer third party results?

The $19 fee will provide the customer with a Family Tree DNA personal page which will allow them to join Family Tree DNA projects freely. This means results will be available to the administrator and included on the project's public page for comparison with other project members.

The $58 fee ($19 transfer fee + $39 for the added markers to Family Tree DNA's 25 or 37-marker level) will include the same features provided to Family Tree DNA customers in their personal pages.

For any additional questions related to Third Party transfer, please refer to our FAQ section for help.

As always, thank you for your continued support."

Good news! I never heard this was in the works, but it makes perfect sense, since they already did the work as part of their DNA Heritage acquisition. And the price makes this a no-brainer, $58 is peanuts for a 37 marker Y-DNA test.

Have you heard anything on the third party autosomal upload? Bennett Greenspan announced it was coming "very soon" on 11 Jun.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
      Good news! I never heard this was in the works, but it makes perfect sense, since they already did the work as part of their DNA Heritage acquisition. And the price makes this a no-brainer, $58 is peanuts for a 37 marker Y-DNA test.

Have you heard anything on the third party autosomal upload? Bennett Greenspan announced it was coming "very soon" on 11 Jun.
      Well good news is - they are still working on it. At least as of now this YDNA import project isn't going to hold up working on a RF import project.
      Last edited by mkdexter; 5 August 2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Will FTDNA catch third party mistakes or differences?

I have 5 matches at Ancestry and 2 at FTDNA one of whom has also tested at Ancestry. All of my matches at least don’t match me at these two markers “464a” and “b” but do match each other at those two markers. The match that tested at both sites is a MRCA of 10 generation or 250 years at Ancestry and has a Genetic Distance of 1 at FTDNA with me. This match went from 3 missed markers to only 1 at FTDNA.
        The sponsor and only contact I have for this match I think has passed away. But if I ended up matching that match at 464a and b the odds of me matching all my other matches at those 2 markers seem good. If they decided to use this new Third Party option will FTDNA catch the difference? If they do than we are all closer matches than what Ancestry says and that information would be helpful for our search.
        If FTDNA doesn’t recheck Ancestry finding its my guess that it would be better to just have those matches test to 67 markers at FTDNA.

Comment

Edward,

Only the missing markers will be tested... FTDNA will not be re-testing the markers that are transferred.

Elise

Comment

I got my first transfer + Y37 from Ancestry today. He was given a kit number starting with B.

Susan

Comment

Thanks efgen, with this price you can have them test the markers you miss for about 7 or 9 dollars each. Its better than sponsoring someone for the 67 marker test and I'm glad I waited.

Comment

I transferred my son's marker information from ancestry.com and the transfer was successful, I had him join the Duran project as his last name is Darrow.
                When I tried to register him at the project page, my email address was rejected ( stated unable to send to this email address). So today, I attempted to register him again. This time it was rejected, stating that the user id was already taken and the email address was already registered. I can not sign him on until I have a password for him.I have written to the administrator of the project for help. Are they rejecting my email address for the use of my son's kit because I already use that address for my family finder kit?
                I also want to transfer my brother's markers from ancestry.com, but am now afraid to until this is straightened out. My son is Thomas James Darrow and his kit number is B1029. His y-search user id is KRVZW

Comment

We transferred one of ours and joined a surname project. However, it does not allow us to search at all. I can't imagine why not, as that is the only reason we had for transferring results. I'd like to figure out what further tests are advised, but there are few matches in ybase so far.

Comment

djparlette,

Please send an email to the helpdesk at [email protected] and explain the problem. Someone should be able to help.

Here is what the FAQ says regarding transferring results:

The Y-DNA Transfer program is the opportunity for those who previously Y-DNA tested at a Sorenson Genomics lab based company to take part in Family Tree DNA group projects and to retest at Family Tree DNA.

Transfer customers may choose a basic transfer of Y-DNA46 panel results that will allow them to view their results in a new account and to join group projects. These are the Transfer Y-DNA33 and the Transfer Y-DNA46. They do not include either database matching or haplogroup prediction.

Transfer customers may also choose to test the Y-DNA STR markers required for matching to Family Tree DNA's customers. These are the Transfer Y-DNA33 + Y-DNA25 and the Transfer Y-DNA46 + Y-DNA37. They include database matching and haplogroup prediction. However, they also require a new DNA sample.

-Darren Marin
                    Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by djparlette View Post
                      Are they rejecting my email address for the use of my son's kit because I already use that address for my family finder kit?
                      No - I use the same email address for multiple members of my family and have never had problems joining projects; others do this too.

Matt.

Comment

I'm wondering what motivation people could have to just do a transfer then (since you can't match or be matched and you will just be lumped, unsearchable, at the bottom of a surname project). Might as well just be retested. That's what we ended up doing with this individual.

Comment

Originally posted by jsun View Post
                          I'm wondering what motivation people could have to just do a transfer then (since you can't match or be matched and you will just be lumped, unsearchable, at the bottom of a surname project). Might as well just be retested. That's what we ended up doing with this individual.
                          jsun - Did you contact the project administrator? The projects vary as to how they are organized.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock100 View Post
                            jsun - Did you contact the project administrator? The projects vary as to how they are organized.
                            I see. Thanks for clarifying

Comment

Originally posted by jsun View Post
                              Just to update, I recently got an email saying the "results" were in and now it seems there is an ability to match (as was implied in the original FAQ --despite what was posted here earlier). Emails about the original transfer went unanswered and we had already ordered a new test. I am not sure if this is a new policy or an error of some type.

Comment

Working...
                              X