King Tut's DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Tut's DNA

A thread with the same title was closed some time back. It is being restarted under the same title because of an important breakthrough: The Y-DNA SNP of King Tut has been determined to be R1b1a2. http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900009...e.htm?smbcfbsh

This group originated in Caucasus region and spread to Europe around 7000 BC. About 50% West European males belong to this group.

In the now closed thread, I had earlier posted this:

The latest Discovery Channel video grab shows the STR values of two samples labelled KV55 (Ahenaten, Tut's father) and AmIII (Amenhotep III, Tut's grandfather) as can be clearly seen on the screen (Time - 1':53")

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/king...rnal-line.html

The STR values for 17 markers tested are a bombshell that is likely to turn Egyptology on its head:

DYS 19 - 14 (? not clear)
    DYS 385a - 11
    DYS 385b - 14
    DYS 389i - 13
    DYS 389ii - 30
    DYS 390 - 24
    DYS 391 - 11
    DYS 392 - 13
    DYS 393 - 13
    DYS 437 - 14 (? not clear)
    DYS 438 - 12
    DYS 439 - 10
    DYS 448 - 19
    DYS 456 - 15
    DYS 458 - 16
    DYS 635 - 23
    YGATAH4 - 11

When you run the Whit Athey's Haplogroup Predictor: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/king...rnal-line.html ...you get this:
    R1b with a 99.6% fit.

I think that 'Daktoor' Zahi Hawass is completely confounded and has withheld the results. West Asian Pharaohs?????? Maybe he is trying to buy time to pull off a face-saving PR job. It may be noted that R1b is not known to exist in Egypt at all (Scozzari 1999, Luis 2001, Hammer).

Frequency distribution maps of R1b indicate a Mid-Eastern/Eastern Turkish connection at least for for Tut's 18th Dynasty. Of course the mtDNA is not charted out yet. A Turkish Nefertiti may be the next Pharaonic surprise!

PS: I suspect that Discovery Channel purposely showed the computer screen shots for a few seconds, something that Hawass or his team failed to notice at the time of filming the programme.

Originally posted by Kaiser View Post
    A thread with the same title was closed some time back. It is being restarted under the same title because of an important breakthrough: The Y-DNA SNP of King Tut has been determined to be R1b1a2. http://en.news.maktoob.com/200900009...e.htm?smbcfbsh

[/COLOR]
    The article you linked to does not state that a SNP test was done with an R1b1ba2 result (M269+). Here is what the article actually says; bolding is mine:

"Scientists at Zurich-based DNA genealogy centre, iGENEA, reconstructed the DNA profile of the boy Pharaoh, who ascended the throne at the age of nine, his father Akhenaten and grandfather Amenhotep III, based on a film that was made for the Discovery Channel.

"The results showed that King Tut belonged to a genetic profile group, known as haplogroup R1b1a2, to which more than 50 percent of all men in Western Europe belong, indicating that they share a common ancestor."

They "reconstructed the DNA profile... based on a film that was made for the Discovery Channel." In other words, they didn't have a DNA sample to perform a SNP test on. They are inferring from the STR values that he is R1b1a2, based on watching a video on a TV screen of his pherograms.

This is not a new story. This is what has been claimed before, but until results are officially released and a SNP test is performed, it's all speculation.
    Last edited by MMaddi; 3 August 2011, 07:23 AM.

Comment

MMadi: I stand corrected that the Haplogroup assignment is not based on a SNP test, rather it has been predicted based on the STR values gleaned from a TV grab of the screen displaying the result. However, the fact that a reputed geneaology centre has 'officially' come out with the haplogroup that was long suspected does stir some interest.

Thanks for the clarification.
      Last edited by Kaiser; 3 August 2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X