Is this an odd surname result?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an odd surname result?

My YDNA-37 test has resulted in 25 individuals in the 12 marker exact match list, but none of them shares my surname. However, in the matches at the Genetic Distance 1 level, 15 out of 16 individuals have my surname.

Is this odd, or is my near total DNA lack of knowledge missing something obvious? It would seem to me that closer matches in terms of genetic distance would be more likely to have the same surname, and while I understand small samples may yield anomalous results, this seems to be pushing that excuse to the limit.

Any insight into why this is a typical result or not would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Joe

are those all at 11/12 matches? How do they compare to your total 37 markers? If you have close results within your surname at 37 markers, it could be that your line has experienced a more recent mutation in your first twelve.

Comment

Hi--

Thanks for responding. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "11/12"; the "11" part kind of loses me. When I look at my Y-DNA results the first group is titled '12 Marker Exact Match'. When I posted, I didn't realize some results required a second mouse click to open, so now at the 12 Marker Exact Match area, I find I have 183 matches, but only ONE (?!) of them shares my surname (this is probably less than you'd get in a random sample since my surname is almost as common as Smith).

At 12 Marker Genetic Distance 1, there are 16 matches, 15 with my surname. Combining all the other results (at 25 and 37 marker), there are a total of 10 names, none of them matching mine.

To sum up, my surname only appears (for all practical purposes) among the 12 Marker Genetic Distance 1 results where, at 15 out of 16, it predominates. Is there a way this makes sense?

I wish I knew....

Thanks!
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by JDW View Post
        Hi--

Thanks for responding. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "11/12"; the "11" part kind of loses me. When I look at my Y-DNA results the first group is titled '12 Marker Exact Match'. When I posted, I didn't realize some results required a second mouse click to open, so now at the 12 Marker Exact Match area, I find I have 183 matches, but only ONE (?!) of them shares my surname (this is probably less than you'd get in a random sample since my surname is almost as common as Smith).

At 12 Marker Genetic Distance 1, there are 16 matches, 15 with my surname. Combining all the other results (at 25 and 37 marker), there are a total of 10 names, none of them matching mine.

To sum up, my surname only appears (for all practical purposes) among the 12 Marker Genetic Distance 1 results where, at 15 out of 16, it predominates. Is there a way this makes sense?

I wish I knew....

Thanks!
        Joe
        There might have been a mutation among the first 12 markers in you, your father, or grandfather, etc. That would explain the people who are GD of 1 at 12 markers. Do those same matches not show up at 25 or 37 markers?

What katerennie4 was saying about 11/12 means matching 11 out of 12 markers. Just a different way of saying the same thing as GD of 1 at 12 markers.

Comment

"What katerennie4 was saying about 11/12 means matching 11 out of 12 markers. Just a different way of saying the same thing as GD of 1 at 12 markers."

Not necessarily. I don't want to confuse the original poster, but 11/12 can mean mismatching on just one marker, but normally it means mismatching by one step on one marker. How it's interpreted depends on if you're using the infinite alleles method or the step-wise method of determing distance. For examply, I mismatch on the 12 marker Cohen modal haplotype on just one marker, DYS385b, which according to infinite alleles, means that I'm 11/12 and should qualify for FTDNA's Cohen signature. However, the modal value is 15, whereas I'm 21, so according to step-wise, I'm 6/12, even though there probably weren't six individual mutation events, but who knows. Therefore, according to FTDNA's reckoning, I don't qualify for the Cohen signature...

Comment

Originally posted by nathanm View Post
            There might have been a mutation among the first 12 markers in you, your father, or grandfather, etc. That would explain the people who are GD of 1 at 12 markers. Do those same matches not show up at 25 or 37 markers?

What katerennie4 was saying about 11/12 means matching 11 out of 12 markers. Just a different way of saying the same thing as GD of 1 at 12 markers.
            Yes, thank you that's what I meant.

Back to the OP, what kind of tests have your surname matches taken? Have any of them upgraded to 25/37/67/111 marker tests or did they only take 12 marker tests? The answer will affect the way you need to look at these results.

Also, of the 10 you match at a higher # of markers, how closely do you match them? Is there a common surname among those matches?

Comment

Is this an odd surname result?

Are all of your results within your surname group? Also, having only 16 results at 11/12 suggests that your results are only being compared within your surname group or you have been with
              FTDNA for a year or less.

To check this, on your FTDNA personal results page, make sure that you have selected "compare my results against the world wide
              FTDNA data base". That is how I learned to my dismay that I am an Irish Maguire (by DNA) and not Scots.

I do have some good solid matches that were only 11/12 at 12 markers so don't be discouraged. Since 2003 my exact 12 marker matches have grown to about 660. In fact I only have two exact matches and they are with the same two people at 12 and 25 markers. Although FTDNA only reports matches at or better than
              11/12, 23/25, 33/37, 60/67 and 101/111. Some of those not reported as matches by FTDNA can be important as well. The best place to find those in on www.ysearch.org which is a free site sponsored by FTDNA.

Comment

Working...
              X