Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1b and DYS 392 or DSY 393

Timothy Peterman,
    I have been following your and Alan Foster's posts at Oxford Ancestors and he has stated in one post DYS392=13 was his criteria for finding R1bs and DYS393=13 was in another post. One must be a typo. I can't post on that site/board so if you would be so kind as to ask him to edit his post it would be greatly appreciated. He seems to have spent an enormous amount of time and energy on this and I'm sure he'd like all to see the right information.
    I am particularly interested as my only match is my father (thank goodness). I had talked him into the mtDNA test right about the time FTDNA ran their special (ie low prices) I believe last October so I had the Y test done as well. I have been SNP tested positive for R1b as my initial results appeared ambiguous to FTDNA. I guess I have a very rare haplotype. My haplotype can be found in the FTDNA Y database. It is sample ID code PEZBS.
    Thank you, (in advance)
    Donald F Potter Jr

My brother's DNA came back R1b. Do you have any further information

Comment

Grisette,
      Go to the Family Tree DNA home page. Click on "LEARN" at the top right of that page. At the very bottom of the page that pops up there are three very informative sites to look at.
      Enjoy,
      Don Potter Jr

Timothy Peterman,
      Thank you for your post on the "other" site. I am eagerly awaiting the response.
      Don Potter Jr

Comment

Tim,
        I see that both DYS392=13 and DYS393=13 are both indicators of R1b and it looks like Alan Foster thinks that DYS 392=13 is the best one. Now I can see why my haplotype was initially considered ambiguous by FTDNA. My DYS392 value is 11 like R1a and I haplogroups. However, I tested P25+ on a SNP test so I am definitely R1b. My DYS393 value is 13. The modal value for R1b, R1a and I haplogroups. Thank you again for your assistance.
        Don Potter Jr

Comment

Don,

This is why I think y-str based haplogroup assignment is only tentative at best. I and R are only distant cousins at best. Yet, I and R1a have converged on DYS392 being 11, while R1b is 13. These values simply go up and down as countless generations pass. I disagree with Foster's statement that DYS392=13 is an SNP for R1b. Short tandem repeat counts and Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms are NOT the same thing.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
          X