24/25 match in recent ethnic origins tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24/25 match in recent ethnic origins tab

I notice I have a 24/25 match in the Recent Ethnic Origin page, but this match is not on my Matches page. I'm guessing that this match must have been from Dr. Hammer's Haplogroup database. I know there is no chance of getting in contact with this person, but I'm curious if this 24/25 match indicates that we are related. It's very close as haplotyes go. My ancestors have been in America for over 200 years, maybe as much as 300. Before then, they were in England, but this match is from Ireland. Since the Haplogroup study had their origins confirmed, and I'm pretty sure of mine, is this 24/25 match significant or is it a fluke?

Fellow Jobite

Like you, I am mistified on seeming inconsistencies between my 37 marker results within my surname project group as compared with the Recent Ethnic Origins(REO) and with the Most Recent Common Ancestor(MRCA). Within the specific McCown group, my closest match is 9/12. Going to a variant spelling, McCowne/Cowin, there is a match of 10/12. The REO shows at least 20 locations with perfect matches, but how can this be when it takes the same surname plus 12/12 to have a perfect match. In fact, I have at least 10 perfect matches of 12/12, none with my surname. The REO reports 59 perfect matches mostly from Ireland, some combination of British Isles and Scotland. The MRCA reports a 50% probability of a most recent common ancestor in 5 generations. It sounds like creative accounting to me. Still, it is nice to know that there are at lease 59 other folks with the same genetic scores on the same genetic markers. Maybe it would be clearer if the REO and the MRCA would print an explanatory note that, unlike your surname report, their matches have nothing to do with who is related to you.

Comment

I would not assume any meaningful kinships based on a 12 marker y-DNA test. If they have a relevant match at the 25 marker level, pursue the matter further, especially if the surname is the same.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by T E Peterman
        I would not assume any meaningful kinships based on a 12 marker y-DNA test. If they have a relevant match at the 25 marker level, pursue the matter further, especially if the surname is the same.

Timothy Peterman
        Timothy, would you apply the same criteria to the Genographic Project results then, which only tests for 12 markers? If so, are public expectations over inflated?

Comment

No. The 12 marker results are fine for the Genographic Project. The study of ancient migration trails involves non-meaningful relationships (ie, where was your male line ancestor 40,000 years ago?).

Low resolution (12 marker) gives us the big picture of where people fit in the human family tree. Most anthropologists are concerned with this.

Higher resolutions (25 marker/ 37 marker) fill in the details. Most people doing genealogy are concerned with this.

As a genealogist with a degree in Anthropology, I find both interesting.

Timopthy Peterman

Comment

Working...
          X