please help the scientifically challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help the scientifically challenged

Can anyone out there give me a list of web-sites that are easy on the brain?
    I am trying to help others in my surname group understand, in the plainest of language, what "mutations" mean, which are the fast mutating markers, how to determine your "MRCA", when to feel comfortable with differences in markers..................etc............ Our group is now at 102 members and no one seems to understand anything about their results. We do have a web-site to refer to, but it only lists kit #'s with results.
    I want to help the other's, so I am asking anyone out there, to help me, help them.
    Thank you all Kathy Duncan (Clan Donnachaidh)

Kathy, a good place to start is: http://www.worldfamilies.net/ On the right-hand column you will see links to John Blair's and Charles Kerchner's sites which have lots of explanations. Do you know about the RootsWeb Genealogy-DNA list?

Bill

Comment

i might think at the size you are it would be more appearent to the member
      check out some other large groups doing it by line of different colors

Comment

Thank you Bill and Jim.
        I will suggest the color coding to the project manager (hopefully he will respond) and I have bookmarked that link. I appreciate your suggestions and I did join the DNA list at Rootsweb, but after a few hours, sifting through 40+ e-mails, none of them were understandable to me, so I unsubscribed.

Our surname project has quite a few name variations..eg........Roberts, Robertson, Reid, Dobbins, Duncan...etc... There is certainly a difference between the names and it can be mass confusion when looking at a chart with 78 results (so far), and seeing the different names represented by order of the first number [allele 393]. I think that some of our members are a a bit upset because the chart has only kit #'s with the surname and doesn't identify any of the history behind the three prominent lines that are evidenced via the chart. I think what we may have to do is to seperate the different names and work from there. I hope that others will not be discouraged from joining.
        Thanks again for your time and suggestions : )
        Sincerely, Kathy Duncan Cawley

Comment

Hi Kathy.

After various members of the Pike surname DNA project asked me about mutations, I did some homework and eventually posted a few Questions & Answers about them in the "Q&A" section of the Pike Results webpage:

http://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/famil...t=results.html

- David.

Comment

Originally posted by nyfromca
            Thank you Bill and Jim.
            I will suggest the color coding to the project manager (hopefully he will respond) and I have bookmarked that link. I appreciate your suggestions and I did join the DNA list at Rootsweb, but after a few hours, sifting through 40+ e-mails, none of them were understandable to me, so I unsubscribed.

Our surname project has quite a few name variations..eg........Roberts, Robertson, Reid, Dobbins, Duncan...etc... There is certainly a difference between the names and it can be mass confusion when looking at a chart with 78 results (so far), and seeing the different names represented by order of the first number [allele 393]. Thanks again for your time and suggestions : )
            Sincerely, Kathy Duncan Cawley

i think it helps [colors]

but i replied becasue you have" has quite a few name variations..eg........"
            this is my variation list and it isa just a strat any name based in dnn

Danan Danin Dann Danna Dannahy Dannan Dannemann Dannen Dannenberg Danning Dannison Degnan Dehning Deignan Deming Dendinger Deneene Denehy Denig Dening Denn Dennen Denney Denng Dennie Dennig Dennigan Denning
            Denninge Denninger Dennings Dennis Dennison Denny Dennyn Denoon Dentinger Denune Digninin Dinant Dineen Dinigan Dinihey Dininge Dinnan Dinnin Dinning Dinny Dinon Dionan Dnn Doheney Donegan Donnachie Donnahy Donnan
            Donnehy Donohey Doonan Duignan Dunnigan Dunon O'Dinnan O'Doonan

Comment

Wow David, your site is definitely a keeper! I actually was able to follow you whole presentation on the different "Pike" surnames! Bless you and your patience. Can I hire you out

And to Jim...I tried the color coding and so far, so good. I first sifted through the variations, but kept the ones that had any similarity to the 29 actual Duncan's who tested. Eventually, I will expand to include them, but for now, I'm just trying to help out the Duncan researchers. I think those that I sent it to will be happy with the results. Thank you

I appreciate your help, thanks! Sincerely, Kathy Duncan Cawley

Comment

Originally posted by nyfromca
                I think those that I sent it to will be happy with the results. Thank you

I appreciate your help, thanks! Sincerely, Kathy Duncan Cawley

your welcome and let it be said we all need each other to reach our goals

Comment

Working...
                X